Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 01:29 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,986,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
What in the world is "debt-based progressiveness?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The idea that government exists to provide everything to everybody (because to do otherwise would be mean) but NOT providing a way to actually pay for the fantasy.
You do realize that the UK health system costs far less than our system, right? I only ask because the implicit undercurrent of this debt-base nonsense is that the UK is wasting money on health care, when in fact, our private system is the big waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 01:32 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,543,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am pretty sure they specifically said they will NOT try to top the chinese show. The London one was definitely a low budget show.
They did what another poster on here was chastising them for not doing; stayed within a reasonable budget given the current economy and the entire thing was performed with volunteer effort on the part of it's performers; kinda weird eh? Exercising budgetary restraint during a period of tough economic times and rely solely upon the esprit-de-corps of a populace proud enough to volunteer in numbers significant enough to carry the day. Who would have expected that?

Old 07-28-2012, 01:36 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,543,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You do realize that the UK health system costs far less than our system, right? I only ask because the implicit undercurrent of this debt-base nonsense is that the UK is wasting money on health care, when in fact, our private system is the big waste.
And even worse; it's morally reprehensable as a profit based exercise in leaving some behind to face bankruptcy or suffering, but, hey, each to his own .

Old 07-28-2012, 01:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,130,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I thought about all the right wing heads exploding across the country while watching the opening ceremonies last night. It greatly added to my enjoyment of the event. The opening ceremonies are always a reflection of the host country, and the British are obviously proud of their ability to cover all of their citizens with healthcare. It's amusing to see how much that offends you.
I came damn close to starting a thread on that topic last night.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,130,106 times
Quote:
What happened to the purity of sport? (
Speaking of purity, all those formerly racially homogenous countries with their multi-racial teams displaying all that icky multiculturalism thingy. Yech!

Old 07-28-2012, 01:49 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,162,813 times
Quote:
What happened to the purity of sport?

Why do we have to inject debt-based progressiveness into something that should be about athletic achievement?

The UK ought to be ashamed of what they've done to the Olympic Movement.
Sorry to have to do this and i'm sure this is going to be something of a shock to you but......... Oh never mind.

Last edited by Baldrick; 07-28-2012 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Enlightenment

Old 07-28-2012, 01:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,936,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Wondering: if people actually believed that they would get care, perhaps they wouldn't be reduced to such nihilistic lifestyles.
Seems a bit unlikely.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,899,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I came damn close to starting a thread on that topic last night.
So did I. But I knew some mouth-breather would be here this morning, whining about it. They never disappoint.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:56 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,959,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yep, the average per-capita spend on health care in the UK is about 40% of our average per-capita spend.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 PM

769 posts, read 1,009,295 times
I'm sorry, but how any sane person could have watched the opening ceremonies and somehow spun it in their minds that the organizers were trying to spin it as some "liberal propaganda" aimed at Americans with regards to our health care system is seriously delusional and needs to seek some help......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies