Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 01:13 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times

Advertisements

Kathy Griffin is a hollow and utterly disgusting individual. These comments pretty well fall in line with the kind of garbage one would expect her to spew. It's shameful that our country rewards people like this for such behavior. If anything, she's just looking for another target to tare down. Liberals feel so much better about themselves when they beat up small targets. It's on par with taking candy from a baby, and it's what they must do to fill the empty void that haunts their very existence.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Didn't this happen almost 2 years ago?
Are cons really this desperate?

Old 07-29-2012, 02:04 AM

414 posts, read 345,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Didn't this happen almost 2 years ago?
Yes but it was the other sister Griffin attacked.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:12 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Kathy Griffin is a comedian whose act usually centers around shocking, racy commentary. She doesn't clear it with liberals before doing her shows. I wouldn't call myself a liberal, but I certainly don't condone it, and I don't listen to Kathy Griffin.

I would say, though, that the whole Palin family appears in general to be a dysfunctional train wreck that would not serve as a fitting example for any healthy family in the United States.
^This thread is pretty silly, though I agree with the first part of this. KG's schtick has often quite self-consciously centered around poking sacred cows and pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable to be said. Comedians, satirists, and ironists have been doing exactly the same thing for almost forever. One could look to Juvenalian satire, and, for a much later example, one could look at Jonathan Swift's argument for the dressing, cooking, and eating of Irish children to solve the problems of poverty in 18th-century England and Ireland, for example. Such an example might seem far removed from modern society, but if you think about how celebrity has come to supplant real political issues more recently, the parallel may become more clear.

What distinguishes KG more recently from other, more serious political commentators in their pot-shots against politicians' and other public figures' kids is that she has always been quite open about her status as a provocateur and she has always been self-deprecating and lacking in most self-righteous posturing. To my knowledge, Limbaugh's early-90s insults against then-thirteen-year-old Chelsea Clinton as a physically ugly dog and Ann Coulter and her decades-long attacks on all Democrats as traitors combined with her accusations in her other screeds have never identified themselves as mere entertainers, and they have always taken themselves extremely seriously.

All of this is not to say that I agree with what KG said about Willow, but rather to say that if she got under your skin with her comments, then that is exactly what she wanted to do. Compare what she said about Willow Palin to her "Suck It, Jesus," comments a couple of years ago. She pokes holes into hypocritical claims on all sides, and since I don't appreciate sanctimony from whatever origin, I think she is a bit refreshing, though admittedly vulgar.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:22 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
While I'm sure there is plenty more, all the evidence I need is shown through her daughters' words and actions. I wasn't raised by bigots, and thus I am respectful towards everyone (unless they disrespect me first). She was clearly raised hearing these words, and was never told "that is NOT okay." It's quite obvious, since I don't know anyone raised as I was who uses these words.
You were asked for proof and can't provide it. Instead, you choose to again denigrate the daughters. You don't know jack squat about how the daughers were raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Maybe if you live in the "Bible Belt," where people seem to act as UN-Christ-like as possible... at least if this board and my personal travel experiences are any indication, although I hope they are not. Around here you'd be hard-pressed to find people using these words, and I worked in a high school as recently as 2010. In the school where I worked, such behavior wouldn't be tolerated for a millisecond. Period.
Maybe you should go post that crap in the Bible Belt state forums.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:14 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
Kathy Griffin is a has been actress/comedian...only way she stays in the spot light is with garbage like this.
When has she ever been , more like a wanna be.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:37 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Griffin is an attention ***** and a pig who's slop trough is filled by the popular culture's disgust reflex.

We would all forget about her if she ever stopped attacking that which is good and decent.

The Palins are attention ***** and pigs whose slop trough is filled by the popular culture's love of Stupid People.

We would all forget about them if they ever became good and decent.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:40 AM

640 posts, read 717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
^This thread is pretty silly, though I agree with the first part of this. KG's schtick has often quite self-consciously centered around poking sacred cows and pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable to be said. Comedians, satirists, and ironists have been doing exactly the same thing for almost forever. One could look to Juvenalian satire, and, for a much later example, one could look at Jonathan Swift's argument for the dressing, cooking, and eating of Irish children to solve the problems of poverty in 18th-century England and Ireland, for example. Such an example might seem far removed from modern society, but if you think about how celebrity has come to supplant real political issues more recently, the parallel may become more clear.

What distinguishes KG more recently from other, more serious political commentators in their pot-shots against politicians' and other public figures' kids is that she has always been quite open about her status as a provocateur and she has always been self-deprecating and lacking in most self-righteous posturing. To my knowledge, Limbaugh's early-90s insults against then-thirteen-year-old Chelsea Clinton as a physically ugly dog and Ann Coulter and her decades-long attacks on all Democrats as traitors combined with her accusations in her other screeds have never identified themselves as mere entertainers, and they have always taken themselves extremely seriously.

All of this is not to say that I agree with what KG said about Willow, but rather to say that if she got under your skin with her comments, then that is exactly what she wanted to do. Compare what she said about Willow Palin to her "Suck It, Jesus," comments a couple of years ago. She pokes holes into hypocritical claims on all sides, and since I don't appreciate sanctimony from whatever origin, I think she is a bit refreshing, though admittedly vulgar.
Absolutely ^^

There is such a thing as context after all.

That said, one thing that has not been thrown to the dialogue---and it is a universal no matter the political affiliation of those involved--is the introduction of social media. If this was a case of some low rent reporter following around a child of the campaign looking for slipped words I might have more sympathy for the age of the target.

One of the things I've had to remind my nephews of repeatedly is that when one makes the decision to write things that millions of people have access to there will inevitably be consequences, usually of the lowest common denominator.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:48 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
Using the liberal mindset, I suppose if you want to attack someone in an immature, disgusting manner, just call it comedy. After all, you can just say you are being comedic and I guess you can say nearly anything you want. You can joke about rape, shootings, murders, terrorism. You can attack teenagers or children. You can wish death on other people. You can call anyone the worst names you can think of. BUT, I believe things like making fun of gays is actually still off limits and perhaps making fun of blacks. Other than that, just call yourself a comedian, and you get a pass. Except if you're not a liberal.

Free speech is great, but using comedy just so you can say the worst things imaginable and get away with it, is a cowardly act. I am not in favor of shutting down that free speech, but in many cases, we the public shouldnt be so approving of such trash. If you can not find a way to be funny, with out shticks like this, then you need to find another
career.

And is it me, or are most of the most vile "comedians" liberal. Sure seems that way.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:51 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,268,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ Superstar View Post
This is flat out disgusting and I want liberals on this forum to answer truthfully if you agree with Kathy Griffin saying this about 17 year old Willow Palin last night on her Bravo Channel comedy special. Is what she said considered funny? Bravo channel is being called out for letting Griffin get away with this. Again people, this is a 17 year old kid, a teenager not even legally old enough to buy beer, cigarettes or even cover charge to get into a bar.

Mark Levin plays Kathy Griffin's nasty comments.

Mark Levin calls out Andy Cohen over Kathy Griffin calling Willow Palin a dirty ***** - YouTube
NO..this was an awful thing for Kathy Griffith to say. Sometimes I get the impression that Kathy Griffith tries to hard to be funny. The harder she tries the worse she gets. She is loud, obnoxious and mean and there was no need for this. Totally unnecessary. She has to get her brain and her mouth into the same gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies