Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Texas is the anus of America and we all know what comes out of anuses.
I don't know why anyone would have such animosity to another State?

Like everywhere... there are good and not so good things each State is known for.

Texas isn't for everyone and neither is California...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 03:54 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Let me bring a piece of reality for you - exchange rate doesn't represent the cost of living
HAHAHA! You're barking up the wrong tree, Ivan. Even in purchasing power parity Russia isn't even on the top 34; their median income even in PPP terms is too low to make the list. Do you know why? Because your country is poor, poor, poor. We're talking poor as hell.

Median household income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2012, 03:58 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Russia's yearly median household income at purchasing power parity is $8,640 (as of 2011) or ~1/10th of the median income of the Bay Area or other well off coast parts of California so let us hear no more nonsense claiming Russians make anything remotely close to what Californians make.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,813 times
Quote:
Even in purchasing power parity
PPP means almost as much as an exchange rate. At least, when it comes to Russia.

Quote:
Because your country is poor, poor, poor. We're talking poor as hell.
Oh, those poor Russians, living in $200,000 homes, and driving $20,000+ cars.

We may be living in hell, but it looks very much like the one Americans live in. Except that we've got zero debt...

Old 08-01-2012, 04:09 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Certain parts of the US end up straddling the first and third worlds (or "developed" and "developing", for those who don't like the "worlds" terminology) in terms of the conditions you'll find. Part of the problem is that many places are just economic dead-zones. There simply isn't much economic activity going on, and the most lucrative "businesses" might involve illicit trades in drugs or theft.

I used to live in a smaller rural town north of California where this became the case, and by the time I left, the place was enervated and broke. Kids stole firearms from their own grandparents while their folks were in the hospital to sell to gang members in larger cities for extra money. A couple people died in fires while cooking up crude methamphetamine in their trailers. There was even a federal investigation regarding the town's mayor embezzling money from public safety grants.

I can't imagine what foreign tourists would have thought about that place had they come to visit. They probably would have been offered some meth and then would have gotten back out of there before dark.

We don't really discuss these places very much, even within the US. They are just kind of depressing and intractable, and the easiest response is to politely stomp them down the memory hole.

There are some writers with work online who have dealt with this kind of thing - you might find them interesting. Fred Reed and the late Joe Bageant, among others.

There is one difference, though. If you discuss these things online, you'll get an allergic reaction from some people, as you can see here. If you go into some of these towns and talk to locals, they'll readily admit that things are bad. When you're standing in the middle of it, it's tougher to deny.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
No sweetie, nasty teeth are just gross. One of the first things I notice about a person is their smile. If it is messed up, then, I have trouble being around this person. It also is a good indication of good hygiene, which is very important to most people.
Or finances. If you don't have coverage through work or are plush enough to afford the things needing done, you put up with it. Some states carry dental coverage with medicade. In some its mostly pulling teeth and leaving a hole, and filling small cavities. In California, a year or so before they cancelled the Dental entirely, they started to slow down things. Claims got deined the first time, were resubmitted, and denied the second time. What took two to three months wait became seven or eight or more and then one day, poof, it was gone.

To save one tooth, doing a root canal, can cost three or four hundred dollars. Most people can barely afford to have it pulled.

You can brush every day and still have dental problems. I assume your friends all have perfect teeth and nice full wallets too.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Not to mention Harrier doesn't seem to understand the difference between England, Britain, or the United Kingdom. Sadly, like most American conservatives such differences just seem to fly over his head and be beyond his comprehension. Thus why he continually uses the words as if they are interchangeable and as a result constantly misuses the terms.
Where would you ever get that idea? I did not use UK and England interchangeably. Fear and Whiskey gave his location as London - which is in England which is part of the U.K. Do you deny that? If so - it is you who needs to work on your comprehension. I did not check the profile - so I had no idea that the OP was Irish - but that is irrelevant since I was referencing the stated location. Knowing he is Irish makes his apparent disdain for the "Brits and Yanks" much more understandable.

Would you say that someone who asked "maybe someone who has been to the United States should start a thread titled "I was shocked by the depravation I saw in California" was using the United States and California interchangeably?

Don't be making assumptions - you only make yourself look ridiculous. Your narrowminded stereotypes are getting in the way of objectivity - and causing you to spew falsehoods out of ignorance.

Last edited by Harrier; 08-01-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,813 times
Quote:
Russia's
Looks like I sound like "you gotta believe me, you scum...", so I'll provide an example.

The World Trade Organization refused to accept Russia (even though, the decision clearly undermined the WTOs free trade purpose), because USA and EU were afraid of products, created by cheap Russian labor.

Then foreign auto makers opened shop in Russia... and found out that Russian labor is extremely expensive.

After that the WTO accepted Russia - why not, if it can't flood the 1st world with cheap products.

I can't blame you for falling into the statistics lies - even Ford did.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:23 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Certain parts of the US end up straddling the first and third worlds (or "developed" and "developing", for those who don't like the "worlds" terminology) in terms of the conditions you'll find. Part of the problem is that many places are just economic dead-zones. There simply isn't much economic activity going on, and the most lucrative "businesses" might involve illicit trades in drugs or theft.

I used to live in a smaller rural town north of California where this became the case, and by the time I left, the place was enervated and broke. Kids stole firearms from their own grandparents while their folks were in the hospital to sell to gang members in larger cities for extra money. A couple people died in fires while cooking up crude methamphetamine in their trailers. There was even a federal investigation regarding the town's mayor embezzling money from public safety grants.

I can't imagine what foreign tourists would have thought about that place had they come to visit. They probably would have been offered some meth and then would have gotten back out of there before dark.

We don't really discuss these places very much, even within the US. They are just kind of depressing and intractable, and the easiest response is to politely stomp them down the memory hole.

There are some writers with work online who have dealt with this kind of thing - you might find them interesting. Fred Reed and the late Joe Bageant, among others.

There is one difference, though. If you discuss these things online, you'll get an allergic reaction from some people, as you can see here. If you go into some of these towns and talk to locals, they'll readily admit that things are bad. When you're standing in the middle of it, it's tougher to deny.
Thanks for your pertinent revelations. Great post and it isn't unpatriotic to reveal your country's frailties it is integral to confronting them.

There I many things I love about America but this was a thread where I wanted to gauge the temperature on a different side of America and the response has been revealing to say the least.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Last I heard, California was still part of the United States of America, so yes, the OP did experience part of America. Considering that California's population is larger than Canada, we probably have the highest number of many groups, not just illegals and gangbangers.

Also, you're incorrect that two or three counties have declared bankruptcy. These cities have declared bankruptcy:

Vallejo (2008)
Stockton (2012)
San Bernardino (2012)
Mammoth Lakes (2012)

By all means, the OP should visit other parts of the U.S. It's a vast place with a lot to offer. However, bashing California isn't the answer.

Agree.

Americans in denial like to demonize California, fact is poverty exists in MOST states

In parts of rural Appalachia people still live like this:

Pictured: The modern day poverty of Kentucky where people live with no running water or electricity | Mail Online

Last year, 48.6 per cent of the population in Owsley below 18-years-old fell below the poverty line - a seven per cent increase from their parents' generation. Almost 50% of the children already in poverty.

The poverty statistics are staggering, the media never talks about this side of america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies