Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The OP was referring to California Wine Country and the North Coast. Sorry but if he considers this area as being a depraved than he needs to take a good luck at the slums and middle class areas of his own country.

Taste of California - Sonoma County - YouTube
That I did not understand as well because Napa is a beautiful area, very clean and the wine is wonderful. Of course you must be very wealthy to exist comfortably there. We always love going over to Monterey and Napa. Now San Fran is another story....lol. At least the buildings are still beautiful.

We will go to London in the near future, mostly for the street food. I am sure we will see poverty here and there. We all have it and it seems to be growing quickly here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
1.5 percent GDP is not nicely growing the economy.
It's 4%, but most importantly is the sustained growth - e.g. returning production home, which may even decrease GDP (a very virtual stat), but is still a great thing.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
I'm not fond of Putin, but he's absolutely not stupid. Too weak for Russia, but reasonably smart.

Did you miss the part, when he wanted (and did) to kick out 14 republics, to let rich Russia flourish? Economists were hysterical... Most republics became 3rd world countries...

It was a huge village...

But I think any comparisons with China are totally wrong. I meant that the "take it slow" approach was best for USSR. Not only my opinion, but also of most Soviet and (humane) Western economists.

Absolutely, because it is a "liberal democracy", which is a fancy term for an oligarchy. I wouldn't call Russia less democratic than America.

These stupid chicks have breaken the criminal law - a hooliganism article. It's ridiculous that some in the West consider them innocent political prisoners. Even a true democracy would have laws in effect.

There's more that you seems to not be aware about:

- about 90% of people are for their prosecution
- the president's administration is against it.

It doesn't - don't be brainwashed by "liberast" propaganda.

Spare me from that American sh.., please

It sucks that Russia is a liberal democracy, but it makes absolutely no sense to blame it for this - because all other "democratic" countries are oligarchies as well.
Drop the cold war James Bond villain act. Russia is as greedy and corrupt as America ever was except the only difference is that Russia is still a dictatorship whereas at least in America you get to choose the corporate representative of Republican-lite that is Obama or Tea Party barking mad that is Romney.

And you really think a petulant punk band playing a few songs is worthy of criminlizastion when the way the criminals in Russia secured public instiitutions was legaised theft and extortion that led to murder and widespread deprivation and poverty?

Russia's mineral resources and energy industry had the capacity to make Russia an aspiring social democracy. Instead Russia is a Corporatist dicatorship that would rather villify bratty punk upstarts than confront its own inequalities such as the theft of public instituions borrowed for and payed for by the taxpayer.

You made the comparison with China yet you are obviously not very well informed on the strategy of China's massacre that pre-empted these reforms. The bloody crackdown was hardest on factory workers and innocent women who were savagely executed in the name of these 'reforms'. 90 per cent of China'a billionaires are the children of Communist Party oficials.

Unions are treated with oppression and there is more social democracy in the United States than there is in China and Russia combined. The disparity between rich and poor in Russia also exceeds that of any country in Europe, including the UK.

The first question to ask in a democracy is "How do I get rid of this Government?" and in Russia the corrupt oligarchs are the real levers of power pulling the strings in a very precariously balanced economy where equilibrium has been lost in pursuit of the 'American dream'.

You've sold out. Admit that and we can move on. The only thing propping up Russia is its mineral, natural resources and energy revenues. It has nothing to do with the way the nation has swindled democracy from the clutches of its people.

You can legitimise this fraud all you want. It won't wash with me. And neither will this "decadent American" crud. The game's up. Everyone knows Russia is just a more dictatorial corporatist neo-liberal franchise state now.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Russia is as greedy and corrupt as America ever was
You're totally delirious... Russia doesn't wage wars, for once...

Quote:
except the only difference is that Russia is still a dictatorship whereas at least in America you get to choose the corporate representative of Republican-lite that is Obama or Tea Party barking mad that is Romney.
A few months ago Russians were choosing between Putin and Zuganov (plus minor candidates). The fact that Russians vote for Putin doesn't make him a dictator.

Quote:
And you really think a petulant punk band playing a few songs is worthy of criminlizastion
It's not what they did, but when and how. They've broken the law, and virtually all Russians want them (dead ) prosecuted in some way - what the hell are you trying to prove here?

Quote:
Russia's mineral resources and energy industry had the capacity to make Russia an aspiring social democracy. Instead Russia is a Corporatist dicatorship that would rather villify bratty punk upstarts than confront its own inequalities such as the theft of public instituions borrowed for and payed for by the taxpayer.
True, but try replacing "Russia" with "America" UK will do just as well, although it's a bit better.

Quote:
You made the comparison with China yet you are obviously not very well informed on the strategy of China's massacre that pre-empted these reforms. The bloody crackdown was hardest on factory workers and innocent women who were savagely executed in the name of these 'reforms'. 90 per cent of China'a billionaires are the children of Communist Party oficials.
I've never called China worthy to be a rolemodel. But, not matter what, things there were a lot worse in the past.

Quote:
The first question to ask in a democracy is "How do I get rid of this Government?" and in Russia the corrupt oligarchs are the real levers of power pulling the strings in a very precariously balanced economy where equilibrium has been lost in pursuit of the 'American dream'.
Now you are talking about America exclusively. Russians know, how to get rid of the government - but they don't want to. In America things are different...

Quote:
You've sold out. Admit that and we can move on. The only thing propping up Russia is its mineral, natural resources and energy revenues. It has nothing to do with the way the nation has swindled democracy from the clutches of its people.
And now you are talking with yourself...

Quote:
You can legitimise this fraud all you want. It won't wash with me. And neither will this "decadent American" crud. The game's up. Everyone knows Russia is just a more dictatorial corporatist neo-liberal franchise state now.
It's social-conservative - you should have done your homework better. It would be a lot better to get rid of a conservative thing... but, alas...

Old 08-02-2012, 03:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So -I guess I won't be running into you around here. Sounds like that will make both of us happy. You do whatever it is you do - meanwhile, I'll be checking out some of the sights here in Texas:
Darn. I haven't been in Texas since 1966, but I think I'm going back for a look-see next year when we return to the USA.

Thanks for the photos!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's obvious you don't get it, and that's fine by me.

I am not a native Texan. I moved here twenty years ago for a job - and long after I changed employment, I stayed. I love it here. LOVE IT! And apparently LOTS AND LOTS of people "get it" because they love it too. Texans - even non native Texans - generally LOVE this state!
Probably Texas is a magnet for undemanding people
The cities are ugly.
The natural scenery is bleak.
The weather is atrocious.
But there are people who like it

Old 08-02-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
The cities are ugly.
People are simply different, and blaming some for this is just plain wrong. There are even those, who wouldn't trade Alaska for anything. Texas has oil too.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:10 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
You're totally delirious... Russia doesn't wage wars, for once...

A few months ago Russians were choosing between Putin and Zuganov (plus minor candidates). The fact that Russians vote for Putin doesn't make him a dictator.

It's not what they did, but when and how. They've broken the law, and virtually all Russians want them (dead ) prosecuted in some way - what the hell are you trying to prove here?

True, but try replacing "Russia" with "America" UK will do just as well, although it's a bit better.

I've never called China worthy to be a rolemodel. But, not matter what, things there were a lot worse in the past.

Now you are talking about America exclusively. Russians know, how to get rid of the government - but they don't want to. In America things are different...

And now you are talking with yourself...

It's social-conservative - you should have done your homework better. It would be a lot better to get rid of a conservative thing... but, alas...
So most Russians are more concerned about a run of the mill all female punk act than the ritual humiliation, torture and theft that was inflicted on the Russian people by its own Government and ties to organised crime networks and killers?

The theft of major economic assets by former members of the Communist Party and the Russian Government in the '90s was one of the the crimes of the century and you are more concerned about prosecuting a rebellious punk band of girls who play surly songs that billy big potatoes doesn't like?

Glad to see you have your priorities straight. But your stage managed corporate PR is crumbling like a baking soda biscuit.

Give it a rest man, many Russians whose families starved and were forced from their homes in the wake of the savage economic reforms of the 90's give a far more honest account than your Kremlin approved representation.

When you actually live in a democracy get back to me. And as for "Russia knows how to get rid of a Government but it doesn't want to" remark well that speaks volumes. In other words to change a Government someone is going to have to go to war or boost a container ship load of tanks and rocket launchers and storm the Kremlin.

Great democracy you got there. Russia, the land that turned the principles of Marxism into something self-serving, repressive and anti-democratic has now surpassed itself as the land that has come to epitomise weasel capitalism for the bougeois. Congratulations.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
So most Russians are more concerned about a run of the mill all female punk act than the ritual humiliation, torture and theft that was inflicted on the Russian people by its own Government and ties to organised crime networks and killers?
No, all of their concerns go to them wearing sacks, and being afraid of KGB... Cut your propaganda, Gebbels-son.

Quote:
The theft of major economic assets by former members of the Communist Party and the Russian Government in the '90s was one of the the crimes of the century and you are more concerned about prosecuting a rebellious punk band of girls who play surly songs that billy big potatoes doesn't like?
You should understand the stupidity of Russian people - just look at Americans. With all the ugly things their government does, including wars, they continue the argument of Democrats vs Republicans - as if nothing's going on...

Quote:
Glad to see you have your priorities straight. But your stage managed corporate PR is crumbling like a baking soda biscuit.
I'm doing a job here? Where's my salary, dude?

Quote:
Give it a rest man, many Russians whose families starved and were forced from their homes in the wake of the savage economic reforms of the 90's give a far more honest account than your Kremlin approved representation.
[a notice to myself: Hmmm, now some anglo-saxon freak accuses me of defending the neo-liberal scum...]

Prooflinks please, about starved families. And please, don't consider this as me defending Eltsin & Co - I hate them like Russians hated Hitler in 1940's.

Quote:
When you actually live in a democracy get back to me.
Reality check: democracy = direct democracy = doesn't exist anywhere in the world.

Quote:
And as for "Russia knows how to get rid of a Government but it doesn't want to" remark well that speaks volumes. In other words to change a Government someone is going to have to go to war or boost a container ship load of tanks and rocket launchers and storm the Kremlin.
Russia has a wealthy history of revolutions. One happened not too long ago (when Yeltsin was kicked out of office by the parliament, but sent tanks at them). We know far better than people in the West, how such things are done.

Quote:
Great democracy you got there. Russia, the land that turned the principles of Marxism into something self-serving, repressive and anti-democratic has now surpassed itself as the land that has come to epitomise weasel capitalism for the bougeois. Congratulations.
Are you hysterical?

And, for your information, the Marxist ideology wasn't changed by USSR.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post

You apparently don't have a good grasp on the reality of life in Texas.

Quote:
Right. People like Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, John Bell Hood, Louis Jordan, Audie Murphy, Chester Nimitz, Bruce Palmer, Jr, Lucian Truscutt, Charles Pendleton, Oliver North, Alfredo Gonzalez, Elizabeth Alexander, Joel Burns, Lauro Cavajos, Linda Coffee, Sandra Day O Conner, Carol Burnett, Kate Capshaw, Joan Crawford, Farah Fawcett, Horton Foote, Jamie Foxx, Woody Harelson, Tommy Lee Jones, Eva Longoria, Matthew McConnaughey, Dennis Quaid, Debbie Reynolds, Sissy Spacek, Chuck Norris, Patrick Swayze, Forest Whitaker, Renee Zellweger, Buddy Holly, Waylon Jennings, Janis Joplin, Scott Joplin, Beyonce Knowles, Miranda Lambert, Lyle Lovett, Johnny Mathis, Willie Nelson, Nelly, Roy Orbison, Kenny Rogers, Selena, Sly Stone, George Strait, Usher, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc.

And I didn't even start listing the sports stars, entrepreneurs, artists and authors who hail from - and continue to return to - Texas.

I don't expect you to know who many of these people are - but Google is your friend. Not an underachiever in the lot.

Quote:
The cities are ugly.
Yeah, right.

Dallas

Fort Worth

San Antonio

Austin

Quote:
Uh huh.

Hill Country

Pedernales Falls

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Caddo Lake

Big Bend

Lakes and vistas of East Texas

Quote:
Yeah, these people in Texas really look miserable in that Texas weather.

Just last weekend:

Last edited by Marka; 10-26-2013 at 12:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies