Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
"Toyota Tundra more American than an F-150."

Americans do not care anymore. Millions packed in Walmart buying Chinese goods by the boat load. iPhones made in communist China are a top seller. Even our Olympic Team is dressed in Chinese made clothes. American flags made in
China. Americans today are not the patriotic Americans of the WWII era. Americans ***** and moan about no jobs as
they load up on goods made everywhere in the world except the US.

I guess the idea that if you want to work in America you should buy American is too complicated.
Is the computer you are typing this post on made in America?

Instead of being upset for ignorant consumers and their shopping habits direct your energy toward the legislators and unions who forced Americans to take their manufacturing overseas though policy and contract demands.

This country is reaping what it has sown. It can be turned around but not by the likes of Obama. Remember, the intention of signing NAFTA was the cornerstone of Bill Clinton's first campaign. The far left sells out this country at every opportunity in practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 12:04 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The new Charger is good looking. But still, too many of 'em around. I could drive one as a hooptie, but for my main ride? No way. Simply too ubiquitous.
The impractical side of me is thinking of a late 60's early 70's muscle car. Something you can actually enjoy working on.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
It sure as hell ain't a Camry.
You already made that point - that a Camry is too "vanilla". Again, what would a "chocolate" car be?

Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The impractical side of me is thinking of a late 60's early 70's muscle car.
I'm actually working on that myself. My problem is storage. I've only got a two car garage and room for two more cars on my driveway. Something has got to give. So i've been looking at a storage place for my muscle. But i've got my eyes on a few rides. My pal is selling his '70 Chevelle...it needs about 5k worth of work...interior and suspension work mostly. Motor and paint is cherry. He's practically giving it away, and has been waiting for my answer.

Nothing like Muscle. That's for sure.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I'm actually working on that myself. My problem is storage. I've only got a two car garage and room for two more cars on my driveway. Something has got to give. So i've been looking at a storage place for my muscle. But i've got my eyes on a few rides. My pal is selling his '70 Chevelle...it needs about 5k worth of work...interior and suspension work mostly. Motor and paint is cherry. He's practically giving it away, and has been waiting for my answer.

Nothing like Muscle. That's for sure.
Back right out of high school a friend of mine had a '70 or '71 Chevelle. That thing would run.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:32 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,588,010 times
I don't buy American. I buy whatever thinks has the best value. Most of the time these products are not American.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Back right out of high school a friend of mine had a '70 or '71 Chevelle. That thing would run.
My then girlfriend now wife bought a new 71 Chevy Malibu and asked me to giuve it some
nore oomph at her expense Whoooohaw!

Imagine my surprise when I opened that whimpy 350 up and found it had four bolt mains. GM data later revealed this happened sometimes when blocks were delayed through retooling or some such.

Needless to say those four bolt mains raised the bar on what I did to that little girl. That car saw us into married life and some fun years after that. Sadly it went to the bone yard through body rust but that engine/tranny is still in the attic of my shop.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
My then girlfriend now wife bought a new 71 Chevy Malibu and asked me to giuve it some
nore oomph at her expense Whoooohaw!

Imagine my surprise when I opened that whimpy 350 up and found it had four bolt mains. GM data later revealed this happened sometimes when blocks were delayed through retooling or some such.

Needless to say those four bolt mains raised the bar on what I did to that little girl. That car saw us into married life and some fun years after that. Sadly it went to the bone yard through body rust but that engine/tranny is still in the attic of my shop.
I got ripped. My wife did not even have a driver's license. She did hook me up with a '72 Duster but it only had the 318.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:01 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
"Buying American" is not something that should necessarily be encouraged. Having a lot of our products manufactured in other countries rather than in the US is not something that necessarily harms the American economy.

Think about it...

If a product can be manufactured in the US for $100 and in some other country for $20, and the American-made product costs $150 and the foreign-made product costs $70 (obviously when talking about cars, this is not really the case and foreign-made cars do not usualy cost much less than American-made cars, but I am speaking generally), people buying the foreign-made product will have $80 more to spend.

It's more complicated than this, but you get the idea.
Yeah, except for one thing: Where will your kids and grandkids find work? In one of those foreign countries?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
And what would a "chocolate" car be??

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies