Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:26 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Do you live in the same alternate universe as Mitt Romney or something? Service jobs likely better paying than manufacturing jobs?
Doctors, lawyers, dentists, bankers, etc. all make pretty good money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

Of course. Silly me. Blue collar workers will suddenly turn into doctors and lawyers.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Quote:
Of course. Silly me. Blue collar workers will suddenly turn into doctors and lawyers.
I want to go to a doctor that was formerly a factory worker....and use the lawyer that was former factory worker to sue him so I can be rich....sounds like a plan to me.....

Old 07-31-2012, 02:55 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
What about, truck driver, elevator mechanic, compressor repairman, welder, plumber, electrician, A/C repair? Construction used to be well paying before the liberals decided liberal immigration policies were a good idea. If you really worried about the low skilled or semi-skilled laborere you need to stop the expansion of the labor supply from liberal immigration policies.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:20 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
BTW....i test drove the new Buick Regal GS last week....one of the greatest automobiles i've ever driven, and i've driven a few...believe me.
I fell in love with a 94-95 loaded Bonneville. I've never wanted to live in a car before.
Pontiac Bonneville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bow of silence.

As for the rest of made in America, it's not just cars folks!

The Best set of pots and pans I've ever had-- with no nasty teflon residues--
Saladmaster Home Page

I have a very fancy set of knives from france that are all well and good, but nothing compares to the durability and lifetime warranty of my other set made in America-- Cutco.
Kitchen Knives by CUTCO Cutlery
Hands down THE BEST in every category that counts. Expensive but worth it when you'll never have to replace it again.

More of the best, lead paint free, no chemical reactions to food, high durability 'kid resistant'...
Corelle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
To be clear, some patterns of corelle are being made in China. Details here if you'd like to avoid them:
Is It Still MADE IN THE USA?: DISHES & COOKWARE: Corelle, Pyrex and more
Best casserole dishes, lead free no weird chemical reactions, easy clean up, durable:
CorningWare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've had these same measuring cups & accessories for 45yrs, and I've gifted it more times I can recall in bridal showers. Something borrowed something blue, something pyrex. I think it's a good luck charm for marriage longevity.
Pyrex® Products – Making Cooking a Little Easier
Decent durability for serving + food prep only (not stove), and highly economical:
Made in U.S.A.

If you'd like to see what's left of manufacturing in USA, here's a show to let you know who's left standing.
Made in America

Misc items in a store specifically serving made in America products
Made in America Store

Another directory for the same
Made in the USA Products Directory

Toby Keith - Made In America - YouTube

Because made in America feeds American families and keeps men & women who put pride in their work... working.

I WANT my can openers made in OHIO, DAMNIT!
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Amco Swing-A-Way 407WH Portable Can Opener, White

Steel ought to come from Bethlehem Pa. Not India.

Wear American Act introduced | Cotton content from Southwest Farm Press
Textile mills of the south are too few. I hate that born in America levi blue jeans aren't made here.
Levi Strauss & Co. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Fly by night management tactics have grievously worn out their welcome.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:28 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
What about, truck driver, elevator mechanic, compressor repairman, welder, plumber, electrician, A/C repair? Construction used to be well paying before the liberals decided liberal immigration policies were a good idea. If you really worried about the low skilled or semi-skilled laborere you need to stop the expansion of the labor supply from liberal immigration policies.
I drove a truck for 30 years and I can tell you without reservation that big trucking companies began recruiting overseas in the 1980's, under Ronald Reagan. Remember, it was Reagan who gave us amnesty and busted the unions, which brought down even non-union wages.

Today, a huge number of truck drivers out there don't even speak English and are working for wages and benefits not even comparable to what I made in the 1970's in real dollars.

You can blame "liberals" for that, but I was there when it happened.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Your memory is falling out on you, fella. Liberals didn't do that. Neocons taking over republican party did. I want legal immigration that doesn't discriminate, and I want our policies to refrain from forcing this country to absorb world poverty as a means of importing subclasses rebranded slavery. Those who want to pay someone $3 hr to clean their pools did this. Your Enron boys did this. Not liberals. And not the rest of us (former R's) committed to high ethics & integrity in commerce.

Just say no to Banana Republicans.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Not anymore. The cost of their education went up to stratosphere, the ethics of their profession were messed with in the 80's, and the only ones doing well are the bankers (for now). I'm pretty sure most of those bankers need their own country by now. This one is taken.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Besides the fact that Toyota makes a great car, they also average 90% of their parts being made in the US.
I live about half a mile from one of their part manufacturers that wasn't here before the Blue Springs plant opened.

They are a wonderful company to work for. Most of the people I know here work for Toyota.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
Whose technology is doing this amazing feat on August, 05 2012?

Challenges of Getting to Mars: Curiosity's Seven Minutes of Terror - YouTube
Can't rep you yet, but I've just got to say... American ingenuity... not just the brainiacs in MIT. It's the man tinkering in his garage right this minute. Putting his brains to work solving problems. Make it right. Get 'er done. Sexy as hell. :::swoons:::

Reaganomics era was bad for biz and few want to believe it. It was bad for families too. Music then was so dark and plastic and it just kept getting worse in the 90's. Nobody could hear what was being said. You can't separate a people's pride from their work, and they did. You can't separate a leaders authority from responsibility/ stewardship, and they did. Corporate communism.

I want our boys beating swords into plowshares. I want America to aspire to serve the greater good. To build good things that empower people to solve their own problems every chance they get. To heal people, not treat em street em. To teach, not service & supply corporate machines appetite for fads. To have an economy where needs are primarily served, and not a pile of chachkis serving the wants of people who have no idea what they need anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies