Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:08 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times

Advertisements

Also, I've NEVER heard of a "bad guy" open carrying. If someone wants to commit a crime, they try to avoid drawing attention to themselves. A visible gun draws massive amounts of attention.

Someone open carrying is saying, "Don't start anything because I CAN defend myself."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Also, I've NEVER heard of a "bad guy" open carrying. If someone wants to commit a crime, they try to avoid drawing attention to themselves. A visible gun draws massive amounts of attention.

Someone open carrying is saying, "Don't start anything because I CAN defend myself."
Columbine.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:19 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont wana watch a movie with you if i see you walk in with a gun.
Why not?

I spent 10 years of my life helping to protect this country.

I spent 6 of those years, stationed on one of three submarines, the first one being a diesel/electric submarine, (USS Barbel, SS-580 Hana Ho).

I have a CCP. so you won't normally see me carrying. If however I choose to open carry, which is my right here in the Commonwealth of Virginia, why would that bother you?

What if an off duty police officer was open carrying, and you didn't know he/she was a police officer, would you still be filled with the same apprehension?

Over 2.5 million crimes are stopped each year by legally armed citizens.

Quote:
Section 38-237(b)(1) of Thornton's Municipal Code, under which Mapes was booked, reads: "It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly possess on or about the person or within such person's immediate reach any dangerous weapon."
Well, there goes everything.. Are you wearing a belt, that's a dangerous weapon. Do you have fingernail clippers or a file.. Dangerous weapon.. Hey ladies, don't carry any perfume in your purse, it's a dangerous weapon. (In fact I know some women's handbags that by themselves should be considered a dangerous weapon).

Last edited by Darkatt; 07-31-2012 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Added more info

Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'd have sat right next to the guy too. But I'd have kept more eye on him than on the movie and if he got up go the snack bar, I'd have clocked him.
Not me.... By the time he was ready for snacks we would be aquainted and probably one or the other of us woulod buy the other the snack, maybe have plans to spend a day at the range..

I have no fear of holstered guns.. And in fact i trust a person more with one showing than otherwise. I will admitt it scares sheep.

The times I was in biker black leathers asking directions out west, all the people I selected were in open carry.... People get funny when a man with long hair, a beard dressed in black leathers stops them to ask directions.. If I wear shorts a t shirt and sandals everything is peachy, but my my my that black leather makes me BAD......

I guess to sheep open carry does too.

Like I said i worry more about a single mom with her child daughter.... If she makes a mistake about a mans intent, that man has a world fll of hurt talking to stranger cops!

The next biggest fear is the same mom driving her soccer van.. One hand on the wheel, the otrher on the phone, not one eye on the road and etc.. On my bike they are always tryin' ta' KILL Me, and younger men are not far behind...

Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Not me.... By the time he was ready for snacks we would be aquainted and probably one or the other of us woulod buy the other the snack, maybe have plans to spend a day at the range..

I have no fear of holstered guns.. And in fact i trust a person more with one showing than otherwise. I will admitt it scares sheep.

The times I was in biker black leathers asking directions out west, all the people I selected were in open carry.... People get funny when a man with long hair, a beard dressed in black leathers stops them to ask directions.. If I wear shorts a t shirt and sandals everything is peachy, but my my my that black leather makes me BAD......

I guess to sheep open carry does too.

Like I said i worry more about a single mom with her child daughter.... If she makes a mistake about a mans intent, that man has a world fll of hurt talking to stranger cops!

The next biggest fear is the same mom driving her soccer van.. One hand on the wheel, the otrher on the phone, not one eye on the road and etc.. On my bike they are always tryin' ta' KILL Me, and younger men are not far behind...
Buying popcorn for strange men in a movie theater, making plans for a later rendezvous, wearing leather chaps? What are you really trying to tell us??

Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Just goes to show you that some people are not bright enough to own a firearm.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'd have kept more eye on him than on the movie and if he got up go the snack bar, I'd have clocked him.
Paranoid much?

I hope you find yourself in that situation sometime. I'd really like to see you get arrested for doing something as stupid as the stuff you write.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Section 38-237(b)(1) of Thornton's Municipal Code, under which Mapes was booked, reads: "It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly possess on or about the person or within such person's immediate reach any dangerous weapon."

Mapes has lived in the area for nine years and said that he's seen movies in the theater before when he's carried a handgun both concealed and openly visible. He is simply practicing the right to bear arms, he said. He added that he has held a concealed carry permit issued by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office since 2003, although the Thornton movie theater doesn't reside in Arapahoe County, so the permit doesn't help his case. Thornton is an open-carry municipality, meaning that there are specific exceptions to the above section of the Municipal Code. In certain limited instances, such as a "person's own dwelling or place of business," a person can lawfully carry a weapon so long as it is visible. Arapahoe County, on the other hand, more permissively allows for concealed carry.
Maybe I am reading this wrong but doesn't this state that 1) his permit was not valid in Thornton 2) You can open carry at your OWN home or place of business? Wouldn't that make what he did illegal?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Paranoid much?

I hope you find yourself in that situation sometime. I'd really like to see you get arrested for doing something as stupid as the stuff you write.
Wouldn't the paranoid one be the person who feels they need to carry a gun with them everywhere they go?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Columbine.
Now you mention that "Columbine', I have a tale for you...

I was hurt bad in 87, wrecked back on the job.. I am partly disables according to the state, but not worthy of 100,000.00 surgery.

The labor board told me to get creative and create my own job. I discovered the injury would cuase a Pre-Existing condition for both job applications and getting Healthcare Ins. It still does and Obamja's plans totally do not interest me a bit. That's another tale.

So I dreamed up a living history program, and was doing pretty well with it, all by PAPER Contract, since it was in dress from the French and Indian Wars thru American Fur Trade or 1750 to 1840.

A big deal in the contract was the school admjin was to make contact with the Police and tell them I was making a presentation. Then the contract stated the sschool admin woulod contact me.

This way I could confirm with the cops because the cops won't as they are not my personal secretaries.

All of this was done by word of mouth I never made any adds, my reputaion only got around and a local school in Sandwich NH was under full contract, the police had been informed, I had confirmed, and the day i pulled up to do thje demo I was greeted by 12 state troopers who stayed all day.

The one with the most brass, told another with almost no brass to TELL me no fires no weapons can the show still go on?

I didn't like the smug look on his face, and said, Why Yes Sir! turned from the waist and grabbed up my wifes blue and red Ojibway strap dress and placed it on the troppers chest, causing all the other troopers to laugh out loud.

With that i removed any weapons and fire kits from my demo things and we all marched into the one class I had thje contract with, and things got more normal.

I handed the female teacher the dress and told her if she wanted she could wear it over what she was wearing. She did.

About 15 minutes into the class a disturbance occured, which was normal, and 2 more classes not by contract entered and the kids sat where ever they cold mean while the 12 troopers stood..

In another 15 minutes another disturbance came, and the Admin asked if we could all go outside and have the entire school body form and see my demo... That always happened so to me it was normal.

But not any 12 State troopers for which i felt insulted.

At the point i could go on No longer I mentioned that I had planned to do fire by flint and steel, the Bow Drill, and a musket demo, but I was no longer allowed.

At that point the Trooper with all the brass came to me and asked if i was still willing and I said yes. he asked if he could send me with a different trooper from the first to show him what I would do, as if that trooper qwould know anything about bow drills, flint and steels or muskets! LOL.....

I said yes to that and the Big Brass told the next trooper to help carry anything I requested (Bummer I bet)

I did all the remaining demos, even 11 troopers clapped, but after that day the day of Coumbine Co, I never ever did another demo in NH USA for any schools again.....

You gun grabbers LOOSE!

Looking back on it now I wish i said No I can't go on, but I am going to SUE... Breech of Contract!

This is what happens to nice guys......

So I lost income. The next venture still hearing the 'get creative' in my head, was to make as real of Trade Silver as i possible could, and of coins or sterling. That did well a decade too untill silver shot thru the roof...

Well it's time to throw off pain and get at work. 2 hours on, one hour off as my back is at it again... But don't no one offer me any help as i don't want any....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies