Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:51 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

George W. Bush drew clear battle lines between the White House and Congress on Thursday, promising to veto a bill that would triple the number of American children eligible for federal health insurance.

The move, which would mark the first time Mr Bush has used his presidential veto to curb public spending, sets the stage for what is likely to be a bitter budget battle between the Democratic-controlled Congress and Mr Bush’s administration over the next two months.

Mr Bush also signalled a “philosophical divide” between Republicans and Democrats over federal health spending. He sought to portray the Democratic proposed expansion in children’s health insurance as a Trojan horse that would lead to a European-style government-run health system.

“Democrats have decided to pass a bill that they know would be vetoed,” said Mr Bush. “Democratic leaders want to put more power in the hands of government by expanding federal healthcare programmes. It’s an incremental step towards government-run healthcare for every American.”

Harry Reid, the Democratic majority leader in the Senate, on Thursday said he was confident he could win enough Republican support to get the necessary two-thirds majority to override Mr Bush’s veto.

FT.com / World - Bush vows to veto new health bill for kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 04:11 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
well... considering most of the people under the poverty level are kids... I don't see how mr president can be all about no child left behind.. yet be against them being able to see a doctor... wouldn't and shouldn't it fall under no child left behind? no child left behind in any way...

Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well... considering most of the people under the poverty level are kids... I don't see how mr president can be all about no child left behind.. yet be against them being able to see a doctor... wouldn't and shouldn't it fall under no child left behind? no child left behind in any way...
This bill included coverage for families earning $40,000 to $80,000 a year.
The veto had nothing to do with those under the poverty level, it had to do with expanding a program to a ridiculous point.
There is already healthcare in place for poverty level children, even illegals can get it and the information they give can not be used to deport them.
But I do understand you were just looking for another way to bash even though it was not warranted.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:28 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The veto had nothing to do with those under the poverty level, it had to do with expanding a program to a ridiculous point.
There is already healthcare in place for poverty level children, even illegals can get it and the information they give can not be used to deport them.
But I do understand you were just looking for another way to bash even though it was not warranted.
another important result of that bill is that it would REDUCE the amounts given to Medicare contracted HMOs, which would trickle down to senior citizens' pocketbooks in the form of higher premiums and copayments and quite possibly less benefits. It is robbing people of limited income to pay for others. There are ENOUGH americans and illegals on welfare and social redistribution in this country. What we really need in this country are lower taxes for those who have to go out every day and EARN it and a president who doesn't squander $$ on stupid wars.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
I'm legal. I was born in South Dakota. I am disabled and can''t work. No SSI hasn't settled yet. So I am unemployed, no income. The illegals, have benefits. I don't. I can only type a littlel. I can't walk, I can't stand. But SSI r SSDi won't recognise that. That's what they do normally.

I don't enjoy medical insurance. I do what I can. I don't want people to take care of me. I do what I can.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I'm legal. I was born in South Dakota. I am disabled and can''t work. No SSI hasn't settled yet. So I am unemployed, no income. The illegals, have benefits. I don't. I can only type a littlel. I can't walk, I can't stand. But SSI r SSDi won't recognise that. That's what they do normally.

I don't enjoy medical insurance. I do what I can. I don't want people to take care of me. I do what I can.
Is your disablity service connected? A friend of mine in NC was told by the VA that if he could use his brain he could still work. My friend has a blown out back 2 junk knees no collarbones and yet they said he could work What a crock of BS He wrote to his congressman and Voila he atleast got champus for his kids while his case is under further review

Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post

Isn't the average wait time like 2 to 5 years.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:37 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Yes it does tak a long time..in the meantime apply for help thru your state. Food Stamps & medical at least.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:04 PM

92 posts, read 51,480 times
actual bush quotes: "Congress is putting health care for poor children at risk" "If they fail to [pass a bill by Sept. 30], more than a million children could lose health coverage. Health coverage for these children should not be held hostage while political ads are being made and new polls are being taken." then he does this. impeach him and everyone in his pocket.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:53 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:

Isn't the problem that middle income earning families SPECIFICALLY IN the income group of 40k-80k are the ones who are most often uninsured?

Seems to me a plan to close this "coverage gap" between the wealthy privately insured and the poor government insured is, ya know, the morally right, "life and family valuing" thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies