Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 10:36 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Any name used for a group of people can also be used for products they make. So how did "Oriental" become offensive? And how is "Asian" a better term? At least "Oriental" was specific to a racial group. "Asian" tells you nothing meaningful.
Actually, "Oriental" isn't particularly specific. It was derived from the Latin word oriens, which means "east." Similarly, "Occidental" was derived from the Latin word occidens, which means "west."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occidental

Depending on the time period, the location of the dividing line between "east" and "west" varies...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wester...ical_divisions

Compared to "Oriental" and "Occidental," at least the term "Asian" indicates the proper continent that the ancestors of most "Asian Americans" originally came from.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:13 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,077,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
All of those example were various tribes that engaged in conquest themselves. They resisted whites migrating, engaged in mutual combat and lost, so why shouldn't whites return the favor to migrants today? Why is migration or conquest wrong if whites did it when everyone did it but good for everyone else to do it today? Anti-white much?
um no, all of those examples shows Europeans coming in and killing everyone to create a new home for themselves.

Europeans also brought with them diseases the wiped out another million or so natives.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:02 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
They also lean left. Way left.

Interesting how small business owners vote Democrat isn't it?

Is it a surprise? Nope!

America is the land of OPPORTUNITY thanks to Liberal policies. If it was up to Repubs, they would build walls, cut social programs such as Education and College Grants. All of which Asians take advantage of.

So it's no surprise they then to live in Liberal friendly areas such as CA & NY.
Also, the Asian shop and store owners get to enjoy the multiculturalism that those communities bring too...

...especially at night and on the weekends.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Asia is huge and encompasses Afghanistan ( all the stans), India, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Jordan, parts of Russia and Turkey in addition to countries most think of first when they refer to Asians- Asian Americans.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:23 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
"Orientals"?

Umm, this is 2012 right?
It was an Occident.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:43 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
"Orientals"?

Umm, this is 2012 right?
Ah, people from the Orient? What the heck is that somehow non politically correct these days? It's tough to keep up with what people chose to get butt-hurt about.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:15 PM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Ah, people from the Orient? What the heck is that somehow non politically correct these days? It's tough to keep up with what people chose to get butt-hurt about.
I remember about the same time I was telling the British online that oriental referred to an object and Asians are a people at the turn of the century I was correcting a Cambodian co-worker who also referred to himself along with Filipinos being the next largest Asian group at our site as "Oriental". Just as I had been programmed to at that time 20 years before. Now here we go again 15 years later and I can sit back and chuckle that it is still going on and "Asian" is still mainly an American PC thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Asia is huge and encompasses Afghanistan ( all the stans), India, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Jordan, parts of Russia and Turkey in addition to countries most think of first when they refer to Asians- Asian Americans.
As I always say in America, in a show as famous as West Side Story the character "Arab" was part of the white gang. It was only in the 90s that all those other group, besides the dark skin toned Southern Asians started to pick up minority and Asian status

Old 08-16-2015, 02:18 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Month after month we get the unemployment report from the Dept. of Labor. One thing I noticed is that Asian unemployment is consistently low. For July, it was only 6.2%:

What's the secret sauce here? Soy sauce? LOL....ok, kidding. My hunch is Asians are better educated (higher college attainment rate), which translates to better employability. College graduates do have lower unemployment than high school grads.
Work ethic.

I teach high school and I'd gladly take 40 Asian American students in a class over 20 American students. Without fail the Asian students I have taught treat education like their job and work to learn while I have to try and force the average generic American student to learn because they treat school like something they must endure.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:21 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,077,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Also, the Asian shop and store owners get to enjoy the multiculturalism that those communities bring too...

...especially at night and on the weekends.
Trump doesn't like that.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:46 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Back in the early 1990's, my family came here to the US from one of the poorest regions in Eastern Asia. We came to this land with $10. Not 100. Ten.

My parents and my oldest sister worked minimum wage jobs day and night to support us 4 kids. All 7 of us stayed in a small trailer. We were on food stamps for about 6 months before my parents stopped using them. They hated using government assistance. No future in it.

My parents and oldest sister were able to send us 4 to good schools. My oldest brother, while trying to learn English from scratch, managed to get an engineering degree. He is now a regional manager (aka big boss) for one of the largest engineering firms in the world. My 2nd sister became a mathematician and worked on nuclear research before she got married and started working as a statistician for a large mechanical engineering company. My 2nd brother is an IT project manager for a large midwest firm. I'm a resident engineer at a multi-national firm.

What about my oldest sister? She had to work minimum wage jobs to help our parents support us. In other words, she tried to go to night classes but she never was able to get a formal degree. She worked in the assembly line. After a while, she became a technician. Then eventually her company recognized her as an engineer. Nowadays 20 years after we first arrived here, my oldest sister is the head electronic engineer in her branch.

My 16 year old niece, who's also the first family we have to be born on American soil, dreams of becoming a surgeon. Her 14 year old brother is already soldering electronic components together in the garage. He wants to become a roboticist. Oh yeah, they're not nerds either. My niece is in figure skating and does track. Her brother plays hockey and basketball.

My point is as liberal as we are we cringe every time we observe people who have been in this country for generations and remain economically disadvantaged forever. We also don't care much for the argument that the current minimum wage isn't enough. How do you explain my family's achievements when we started out with minimum wage?

The thing is among our friends and relatives, our family story isn't unique at all. Whenever I tell our story to white or black people, they just assume that I'm showing off. But when I tell our story to east asian people, they just nod their heads because that's also their story. In other words, our story is pretty normal for an immigrant asian family. And let me bet that most of you who have read this far in my post are assuming that I'm showing off. What I gotta say to you guys is you have low standards and that's why you think my family's story is somehow extraordinary. Trust me, it's as typical as the next asian immigrant family's story.

I've also observed that attitudes between the cultures also are different regarding success. I recently got promoted into management. Just got my new business cards. I showed my new card to some asian friends of mine as well as family members and they all congratulated me. Everyone was happy.

I showed my new card to some white, African American, and Hispanic acquaintances and their responses have been generally "whatever..." Doesn't appear like they value success very much. Probably why they never try to do anything more than minimum wage retail. Perfectly happy living pay check to pay check...

Us east asians are often the butt of people's jokes. Why? Probably because we generally are not confrontational. I get people back the smart way. Last time a contractor made fun of my asian accent, I made sure it cost them an additional $30k. No need for riots, burning of corner stores, or an asian-lives-matter BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies