Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:55 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Unless you moved again, it wouldn't be very hard for you to avoid going to Walmart. You live in Marin County, CA and there aren't any Walmarts in Marin County.

I remember the 'rumblings' when the In-N-Out opened in Mill Valley 10-11+ years ago (IIRC).

Given the political climate in Central and Southern Marin, I wonder if the boycott has a strong chance of 'making a dent' at the Mill Valley location .
I have no idea at all whether the boycott will have an effect on that particular location (Mill Valley.) I don't know how well publicized this has been, and actually, I don't really care. And there is a Walmart in Santa Rosa. In addition, this is not the only place I have lived since Walmart opened its first locations. The first one I ever knew of was in East Texas in the late 70s. When I learned about its business model, I decided that I would never shop there, and haven't since, no matter where I was living at the time. We all make decisions about who we will support, as is our right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 12:19 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Maybe to show how some things never change. 2012 liberals throw a tantrum about bible verses on cups and demand a boycott - it fails. 2018 liberals throw a tantrum about a small donation to the California GOP and demand another boycott, and it also fails. One thing that never changes, liberals throwing a tantrum about anything they disagree with.
I have been a liberal all of my life, and I never participated in the boycott of In-N-Out because of the cups. We knew about that decades ago, and just ignored it. There was nothing coercive about it. And concerning the donation to the RNC, lots of corporations donate to both parties, just to hedge their bets. You can get a list of who donates to whom if you want, and boycott from there, but I never have. I boycott when a company takes a position publicly that is morally repugnant to me. To my knowledge, In-N-Out hasn't done that. My list remains Chick Fil-A, Carl's Junior, Hobby Lobby, and Walmart.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:50 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Interesting my thread about the recent in n out boycott was merged into this one about bible verses from 2012 .. why ?
Not sure. Bible verses? Haven't they always had Bible verses on their packaging? I'm certainly not boycotting them for throwing some cash to the Republican party. Now if they started up with some of the groups that Chick fil a and Hobby Lobby support? Yeah, I can't support those businesses.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:49 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I have no idea at all whether the boycott will have an effect on that particular location (Mill Valley.) I don't know how well publicized this has been, and actually, I don't really care. And there is a Walmart in Santa Rosa. In addition, this is not the only place I have lived since Walmart opened its first locations. The first one I ever knew of was in East Texas in the late 70s. When I learned about its business model, I decided that I would never shop there, and haven't since, no matter where I was living at the time. We all make decisions about who we will support, as is our right.
OMG, lighten up. I was just teasing you about where you live (I used to live in Marin County).

I agree with some of the general political views in Marin County (pro-choice, fine with SSM, etc), but I think, overall a number of people are over the top and flaunt their views for show, when in fact they are hypocrites (not you).

I probably vehemently disagree with some of them, but I think it's great that you truly live your values. There are plenty of people in Marin who don't, in the truest sense.

My views are all over the map, but I would would never move back to California (and I'm a fifth generation native) re a similar way of thinking that you apply to Walmart. I don't agree with a number of policies, laws, way agencies are run, etc. in California, and I want as little of my money (in taxes) supporting that as possible. I'll be buried there eventually, and if my heirs choose to remain there some of what was my money will be taxed, but they won't be taxing me directly (and I'm neither a Democrat, nor a Republican, and I'm not a 'person of faith' (I'm agnostic)).

One thing, of many, that I like about Walmart, is that I notice that they employ quite a few people with disabilities who may have been passed over by other employers, and they find a place for them that works for the employee, and works for the company.

Yeah there's a Walmart in Santa Rosa, but Santa Rosa is in Sonoma County.

When I lived in Marin, I would save my Walmart trips, combine them with other needs in the East Bay, and go to the one at Hilltop Mall in Richmond that took the place of one of the department stores that vacated that mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies