Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would the Democratic party embracing gun rights strike a blow to the GOP
Yes - this would help the Democratic party 9 33.33%
No 18 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Bloomberg = elected as a Republican. Thank the Tea Party for him.

Wow some Dems in NY and CA want gun control, they must speak for the whole party I don't recall Obama or the Democratic Congress pushing for any kind of gun control or even getting anything to a vote. Republican politicians know they've conclusively won the war against gun control and just continue to beat the issue to death because it gets ignorant people who actually think Democrats differ from Republicans in any way on the issue. Same as how they were telling people John Kerry would ban the Bible, just another red herring for the lowest common denominator

most republicans in NYC would be democrats in Wisconsin where I live, and considered even more left in states further out west.
as far as pbo goes, his entire platform concerning firearms has been about gun control, right up until he was running for election as potus, then all of a sudden it changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 10:11 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Heck no the left would still have the "Donkey" as their symbol.....among other non attractive ideals.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,451,117 times
No. Every time the Democrats move to the right, the Republicans move further to the light. Doesn't help the Dems get more votes.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
no, because the chance of that happening would be less than my chances of winning the powerball.

1st thing to do would be investigate all batfe agents, penalize and jail all those found guilty of crimes against the 2nd Amendment, make all laws in the several states illegal and repeal all federal laws concerning firearms.

there is so much that both republicans and democrats could do but refuse to do.
I'd say the chances of the Democratic party "embracing" gun rights is greater than some right wingers figuring out the meaning of the words "if" and hypothetical.

Would it kill you guys to use your imagination once in a while. No wonder there are few conservative creative people

Last edited by Savoir Faire; 08-04-2012 at 12:28 AM..

Old 08-04-2012, 12:24 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,710 times
They're gonna sweep the GOP regardless. It's 2004 all over again and the GOP is stuck with an equally awkward, out of touch, Mormon John Kerry. When you get to the "anyone but ___" phase, you are screwed.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:29 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
They're gonna sweep the GOP regardless. It's 2004 all over again and the GOP is stuck with an equally awkward, out of touch, Mormon John Kerry. When you get to the "anyone but ___" phase, you are screwed.
John Kerry reporting for duty.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:42 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Harbor, there is a different between supporting and embracing.

Really, the Democratic party in Chicago, which is the 3rd most populous city in the USA embraces the 2nd amendment?? Until recently you couldn't legally have a handgun in your own home.

I know there are plenty of Democrats that support gun rights, but I'm talking about the party as a whole, especially the leadership
First off, I've got to say I don't care about what's best for dems, repubs, or any other ideology. I care what's best for the constitution, individual citizens, and the nation.

I'm against prohibiting registered handguns in private residences for private individuals. I strongly disagree that the 2nd amendment only applies to a regulated militia (at the exclusion of ordinary citizens). I'm also against prohibition of concealed carry for those capable of being responsible. Particularly among store owners or other regular targets of crime. Insurance companies pointing red flags ought to be enough reason.

I see your meaning about support and embrace, but having tighter restrictions in densely populated urban areas does wind up being needful. The kill ratio weapon capacity and the available targets within the span of 3 minutes is a bloodbath waiting to happen. WTC was a very enticing target for malevolence. Now do you believe us? A no fly zone does make sense as a result, even if it makes less sense to all others. A gang banger can be solved with 30 neighborhood tek9's firing in all directions, no one certain who the original shooter was, to hell with collateral damage? Now do you see why the rural cowboy advice is useless and unwelcome by urban LE? American cities have no business being managed like Mogadishu.

I'm not a city planner. I'm not a lot of things. I can't say I have the perfect answer. Cities like Chicago and DC are trying to solve their own problems and the NRA is standing in the way every time they try. They need to be helping, not hindering, but hindering is the only tool in their drawer. That needs to change because the #1 enemy of the 2nd amendment is the NRA as they currently are. Homogenized absolutist universally applied policies are not pragmatic. Disneyland doesn't want fire arms on their property, and should be respected. Fire arms don't belong in a kindergarten, or a surgical suite. People getting obnoxious about their 'rights' should be enough grounds to evict them without lawsuits involved.

I'd like to see more training in full spectrum self defense starting in high schools and extending out into communities. At adult stages it should include small fire arms instruction to better empower the right people (sane law abiding citizens) to exercise their 2nd amendment right responsibly. That's not happening with a thousand illegal Saturday night specials in the hands of juveniles/ druggies on the street and all others prohibited from ownership. Additionally my acumen on the range won't be worth a hill of beans when my service revolver is up against a tec9. My wits are going to save me before my gun does and most people aren't trained to know that. There's a lot of cheesy romantic notions about fire arms that need to be debunked. If I have to pull a weapon, it's already late in the game. I've already missed too many opportunities to get myself out of harms way and/or de-escalate the situation.

Assault weapons need to be banned for sales among general populations. I'd rather see them special permitted to well trained militias under protection of LE, but if it gets away from you, no mercy from the cops or in the courtroom. Militias are best preserved by members policing one another, as Hutaree nutters were thwarted in large measure by a militia member who saw disturbing behavior in individuals and reported it. Military vets seasoned/trained in judgmentals who've already been psych vetted are ideal volunteers. Wannabe Rambos, not so much. My (blue) city encourages the 2nd amendment, the state (blue-red) is a "shall issue", but it also imposes steep sentencing for crimes commissioned with a fire arm. I think that's more than fair. You can be tough on crime but not be an ass about it for all the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies