Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
As you know, the 2nd amendment doesn't call out any exceptions to its ban on government interference with people's right to keep and bear arms. Not felons, not for multi-barrel multi-shot weapons, not cannons, not big gunpowder bombs, not nuthin. It simply says that for such-and-such reasons, the right cannot be taken away or restricted. PERIOD. You may not like what it says, and may disagree with it, but that's what it says.

In other parts of the Constitution, you can find phrases such as "except by due process of law", or "against unreasonable searches and seizures", etc. But for some reason, this was not done in the 2nd amendment.

Could it be that the Framers thought that the risk of government having ANY power to decide what weapons we could and couldn't own, was GREATER even than the risks of criminals getting hold of those weapons while all law-abiding people could have them too?

Could that be why no exceptions were made in the law?
Uhhh, I think you left out the part where the 2nd amendment is subject to reasonable restrictions. You can't beat everyone over the head with the Constitution and not include the Supreme Court's rulings on what the wording means and how it is applied. The same founding fathers who wrote the BOR also established the SCOTUS to interpret it. To think otherwise is to be a hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Please read the Constitution.
I don't particularly care about the Constitution anymore.

Two things I want to see happen:

1. The US needs to dissolve and separate into about 3 different countries. The Jesus and gun freaks can have their own little theocracy in the south while the rest of us actually progress.

2. I want to see all neo-Nazis and related types eliminated across the globe. They do not have a future in the human race.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I don't particularly care about the Constitution anymore.

Two things I want to see happen:

1. The US needs to dissolve and separate into about 3 different countries. The Jesus and gun freaks can have their own little theocracy in the south while the rest of us actually progress.

2. I want to see all neo-Nazis and related types eliminated across the globe. They do not have a future in the human race.
Well there you have it. Someone who has the intestinal fortitude to just come out and say it. As it now stands, Jesus freaks and Nazis are equally protected under the 1st amendment. Gun owners are equally protected under the 2nd. amendment.
The concept of "One nation, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all" was reaffirmed with a civil war that claimed more than 1.5 million lives. You want to throw all this away because you don't feel safe and secure anymore. How shallow and self serving can you get?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:00 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Uhhh, I think you left out the part where the 2nd amendment is subject to reasonable restrictions.
I didn't leave it out. I refuted it. Odd how you didn't mention that part.

Did somebody mention "leaving something out"?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Well there you have it. Someone who has the intestinal fortitude to just come out and say it. As it now stands, Jesus freaks and Nazis are equally protected under the 1st amendment. Gun owners are equally protected under the 2nd. amendment.
The concept of "One nation, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all" was reaffirmed with a civil war that claimed more than 1.5 million lives. You want to throw all this away because you don't feel safe and secure anymore. How shallow and self serving can you get?
Here's the thing. I don't want to even be in the same country as them anymore. This is why the Constitution doesn't matter to me anymore... I want the country to separate.

It's not shallow and self-serving. It's inevitable. We just can't get along, so what's the point? It's better that we have our own areas where we can do our own things rather than forcing us to try to get along when it is clear we are not.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:02 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
If you can't control the guns, at least expose the extremist groups.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:06 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,783,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So it's been around 24 hours since the shooting and we have the same folks screaming to ban weapons which would somehow stop all this and that is about all we know.

The usual lone shooter is tossed out by the cops with the added neo nazi angle which he very well could be. Who knows for sure.

What we do know is that ONE shooter has been killed apparently. That is about it and most likely that is about all we will ever know. No trial, no evidence will be put out all will be forgotten but the lone gunman who shot up the place and now we gotta ban guns by God.

Same thing with Loughner who was just deemed fit to stand trial and he will of course plead guilty so no trial.

Same thing will most likely occur with the Colorado gunman. He will be deemed unfit to stand or be deemed fit and plead guilty.

Mark it down as another squeal for the gun control folks to scream about is all it will turn into. Nobody will care as Mitt Romney's tax returns will take over the news again or the gay army will declare another restaurant or whatever as evil and the media and useful idiots in the US will lap it up like turkey gravy.

Meanwhile the biggest scam in the history of the world is going on with the Libor rate fixing scandal and most of the country doesn't even have a clue. This country has become a nation of fools.
Its always a nation of fools just covered up by people who were used as the bigger fools than the original fools with the power. And how is this guy a LONE shooter when he killed a bunch of people he probably felt were muslin? He's another right wing nut fear Factory idiot controlled by his idiot idols to gain his support.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Here's the thing. I don't want to even be in the same country as them anymore. This is why the Constitution doesn't matter to me anymore... I want the country to separate.

It's not shallow and self-serving. It's inevitable. We just can't get along, so what's the point? It's better that we have our own areas where we can do our own things rather than forcing us to try to get along when it is clear we are not.
Read the History of our country more. These things are cyclic. Give it time and hang in there. Stand firm in your principles. The worst that can happen is when the good leave the fight to the weakminded. The pendulum will swing back and rational people will once again have the upper hand.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:

I hate to tell you this but those types you speak of could never just let us be. They would immediately build arms and go nuclear. Then they would claim that by our very existence they feel threatened. Then they would trump something up like a border incident and attack. We would then be forced to smash them with all we had turning us into them. ETC etc.....

Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
If you can't control the guns, at least expose the extremist groups.
That's where I'm at with this too. At least at this point, it looks like this may well have been a full blown terrorist attack vs. some lone nut who was ordered by the voices in his head to do a public shoot em up of random strangers. People have the right to be a Nazi, but they need to step up the investigation of these radical right wing extremist groups to make sure they're not plotting violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies