Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:36 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Top 10 Black Myths About Black America

It needed to be here, honestly.

Great post but we all know that C-Ders never believe a single positive word about Black Americans EVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,444,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I've never heard of some of these, and agree with others. However, number 5 and number 8 are not myths. Where affirmative action does help white women and certain other minorities, it does unfairly benefit blacks. The "points" system often awards more points to black kids, and actually subtracts them from Asians. Poor, white, young men are also severely hurt by affirmative action. Number 8 (crime rate) isn't a myth; you can try to explain why the crime rate is higher in the black community, but it's certainly not a myth.
We all know Affarmative Action isn't necessarily equal, fair, etc but it is needed until racial inequality is finally eliminated. If an employer (a white employer since they own most of the businesses in this nation) saw two equal potential employees, one white, one minority they most likely would choose the white employee over the black. Of course this theory won't apply everywhere in the US but the South in particular will always need Affarmative Action because racism, prejudices, etc still exisit in the region so the minority (specifically blacks) come by jobs much harder. I wouldn't be surprised if the South, African Americans have the most welfare recpitents. Even with Affarmative Action employers only hire the minority to meet there quota, with the exception of Walmart.

I believe us African Americans are often discouraged to look for work, once theyre denied jobs at a few places, they end up robbing people and going to prison. Luckily I was born to an Affluent African American family but I've seen so many people of my race go to prison, and it's really heart breaking. And I admit a lot of us believe the white man owes us something but then some of us realize that we can grow and become something great in this nation but that must be realized at home. Most, if not all of the wealthiest African-Americans come from poor back grounds but they grew, instead of staying home complaining.

Last edited by BMORE; 08-08-2012 at 11:11 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
We all know Affarmative Action isn't necessarily equal, fair, etc but it is needed until racial inequality is finally eliminated. If an employer (a white employer since they own most of the businesses in this nation) saw two equal potential employees, one white, one minority they most likely would choose the white employee over the black. Of course this theory won't apply everywhere in the US but the South in particular will always need Affarmative Action because racism, prejudices, etc still exisit in the region so the minority (specifically blacks) come by jobs much harder. I wouldn't be surprised if the South, African Americans have the most welfare recpitents. Even with Affarmative Action employers only hire the minority to meet there quota, with the exception of Walmart.
The "myth" was that affirmative action "unfairly" benefits blacks, which it does.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
That the Republican Party hurt them.

Back when they were in the Republican Party far fewer as a percentage were on social programs and there was on average over 80% two parent households. Today that is gone with the black Democrat.

Just my opinion.
Good luck!
You mean back when Blacks didn't have access to social programs?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:17 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,444,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The "myth" was that affirmative action "unfairly" benefits blacks, which it does.
Explain how? We most likely have the highest out of work population out of all races in America.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,717 times
NAACP push the prison myth.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
A few falsehoods there yourself-

1. 39% of blacks are on welfare. 14% of whites are on welfare. While the absolute number of white welfare recipients ARE WHITE, keep in mind that blacks make up 13% of the population. Therefore blacks are nearly three times more likely to be on welfare than whites.

2. Blacks and Hispanics make up 36% of the prison population. Again, given that blacks are 13% of the US population, there is a very large disproportionate number of blacks in prison.

3. 70% of black children are born out of wedlock.

4. 72% of black children are raised in single parent families, while the rate for the US in general is 25%.

5. Black unemployment rate is 15.8%, while that of the nation is 8.3%.

Ya think #5 just might have something to do with #1 through #4?

Old 08-09-2012, 06:26 AM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Ya think #5 just might have something to do with #1 through #4?

Sure- All of those points reflect back to two issues- single parent families and a culture that does not emphasize education. Nonetheless, facts are facts.

Only when blacks address the fact that black culture- lack of two parent families and lack of emphasis on education- is killing black Americans will there be a chance for change.

Denial and rationalization only perpetuates the problem. It is time to stop making excuses and seeking blame and simply start addressing the problem. This is not a racial problem, it is a cultural problem. I know many blacks with the same culture I have who are very successful. Oddly, they come from two parent families who emphasized education. My son's best friend is a black kid (two parent family) who has straight As and is getting an academic scholarship to Michigan. Black America needs more kids like that.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:41 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,968 times
I particularly liked the fuzzy math of #1. The author stated that because there are 40+ million blacks in America and less than 1 million are in jail, that's a good ratio...however, the author didn't touch on the fact that of the 40+ million blacks, less than 1 million are in college (which sounds like a pretty bad ratio to me).

There was also some fuzzy math in #3 by comparing the percents of blacks on welfare, but not showing the actual numbers, because I'm quite sure that 39% of the welfare population at the end of the 20th century being black is still a hell of a lot more people on welfare than when it was 46% in the 70s.

Stupid, ignorant, racist article. Oh wait, we can't say that blacks are racist, because that's racist. Only white people can be racist right? Or is that a myth too?

Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
A few falsehoods there yourself-

1. 39% of blacks are on welfare. 14% of whites are on welfare. While the absolute number of white welfare recipients ARE WHITE, keep in mind that blacks make up 13% of the population. Therefore blacks are nearly three times more likely to be on welfare than whites.

2. Blacks and Hispanics make up 36% of the prison population. Again, given that blacks are 13% of the US population, there is a very large disproportionate number of blacks in prison.

3. 70% of black children are born out of wedlock.

4. 72% of black children are raised in single parent families, while the rate for the US in general is 25%.

5. Black unemployment rate is 15.8%, while that of the nation is 8.3%.
+1. Of course there is going to be more white people on welfare, there's more white in general. But if you look at it from a percentage(which is a more accurate indicator) then the overwhelming majority of people on welfare are black. Lol, at black people having the highest unemployment rate but are probably still going to. It's for Obama in the 90% range. And yes liberal social welfare programs have destoyed the black traditional family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies