Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
Those were the words of John Adams.
These were the words of James Madison:
"An alliance or coalition between Government and religion cannot be too carefully guarded against. Every new and successful example therefore of a perfect separation between ecclesiastical and civil matters is of importance. Religion and government will exist in greater purity, without (rather) than with the aid of government."
- James Madison

"What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny: in no instance have they been seen the guardians of the liberties of the people."
- James Madison

And this...
"Freedom arises from the multiplicity of sects, which prevades America and which is the best and only security for religious liberty in any society. For where there is such a variety of sects, there cannot be a majority of any one sect to oppress and persecute the rest."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
I can't vote for someone that I believe is a member of a cult.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:10 PM

667 posts, read 516,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
These were the words of James Madison:
"An alliance or coalition between Government and religion cannot be too carefully guarded against. Every new and successful example therefore of a perfect separation between ecclesiastical and civil matters is of importance. Religion and government will exist in greater purity, without (rather) than with the aid of government."
- James Madison

"What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny: in no instance have they been seen the guardians of the liberties of the people."
- James Madison

And this...
"Freedom arises from the multiplicity of sects, which prevades America and which is the best and only security for religious liberty in any society. For where there is such a variety of sects, there cannot be a majority of any one sect to oppress and persecute the rest."
I don't disagree that we should not have a national religion. However, that is seperate from our country's birth was assited by men who believed in God and the Bible. These same men joined in public prayer to God and even recommended a day of prayer to all American citizens.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM

162 posts, read 228,774 times
If you didn't care about what type of church they are apart of then why would it matter if it they were mormon and catholic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
As a Pentecostal I was raised that Mormons and Catholics were basically cults and did not follow the bible. Well as a registered republican and conservative, I have a Mormon as Pres and a Catholic as VP for my choices if I do not want to vote for Mr. Obama. I am just curious as to how evangelicals are viewing this...............

As a Christian..............do you vote for a Mormon if you believe he is better for the country??? But wait, he believes something different??????????

Also confusing to me, being raised Pentecostal I was taught the Bible is the 100% true word of God. It speaks against things such as Homosexuality and Abortion, yet many that share the same pews in the same Pentecostal churches will vote as a registered Democrat, and Democrats traditionally support these platforms.

I am serious and not making fun of or downing anyone regardless of religion or political affiliation. These things seem to be contradictory to me and are confusuing.

They always say never get into a discussion about Politics or Religion and looks like I did both in 1 thread uh?

Ok, someone enlighten me please.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:46 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,114 times
I guess my question to the OP is how would you know anyway. Sure, Romney is a Mormon, but short of having each president submit to a polygraph there is no way to know what they really believe in.

So honestly you should just judge someone by their actions since you can never truly know what their religious convictions are.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:29 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
As a Pentecostal I was raised that Mormons and Catholics were basically cults and did not follow the bible. Well as a registered republican and conservative, I have a Mormon as Pres and a Catholic as VP for my choices if I do not want to vote for Mr. Obama. I am just curious as to how evangelicals are viewing this...............

As a Christian..............do you vote for a Mormon if you believe he is better for the country??? But wait, he believes something different??????????

Also confusing to me, being raised Pentecostal I was taught the Bible is the 100% true word of God. It speaks against things such as Homosexuality and Abortion, yet many that share the same pews in the same Pentecostal churches will vote as a registered Democrat, and Democrats traditionally support these platforms.

I am serious and not making fun of or downing anyone regardless of religion or political affiliation. These things seem to be contradictory to me and are confusuing.

They always say never get into a discussion about Politics or Religion and looks like I did both in 1 thread uh?

Ok, someone enlighten me please.
First off, just because you "were raised" to think something, especially something so prejudiced, doesn't mean you should continue to adhere to that belief once you become an adult with a mind of your own.

For the record, Catholics are just as Christian as all other Christians.

Next, realize that all religion is man made and therefore subject to being very flawed.

Turn your eyes to God himself and ask him to guide you. Do not rely on someone's interpretation of his words in the Bible.

And finally, study the issues, then study the candidates positions on those issues and vote for the candidate that you believe will best serve this country.

Take religion out of the picture altogether.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:32 PM

162 posts, read 228,774 times
+1

You summed it up so nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
First off, just because you "were raised" to think something, especially something so prejudiced, doesn't mean you should continue to adhere to that belief once you become an adult with a mind of your own.

Next, realize that all religion is man made and therefore subject to being very flawed.

Turn your eyes to God himself and ask him to guide you. Do not rely on someone's interpretation of his words in the Bible.

And finally, study the issues, then study the candidates positions on those issues and vote for the candidate that you believe will best serve this country.

Take religion out of the picture altogether.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Except most Christian sects selectively follow the Bible. For example, Fundamentalists strongly denounce consuming alcohol, despite wine being involved in Jesus' first miracle. Furthermore they've actively prosecuted Mormons for following polygamy, despite the numerous examples in the Bible starting with Abraham himself.

You can find justification for ANY political position in the Bible by just selecting favorable quotes. What's more telling is how a person interprets it, based on their own personal prejudices and self interests.
You are right on the money. You can pick any position you wish on any point of "Christian" doctrine and support it by appealing to certain passages in the Bible and ignoring others. And anyone who disagrees with this just isn't all that familiar with the Bible.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:37 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abri07 View Post
What ever happened to a separation between church and state? Vote on the issues that matter not what church someone belongs to or color of their skin. Really take some time and see what each candidate stands for and not listen to what others are saying. Learn the facts for yourself. Educate yourself on how each candidate votes and their plan. Vote for what you believe is right.

If you aren't informed about the issues then sit this election out. I hate when people vote just to do it and don't even know what they are voting for. Make a well informed decision. Everyone is entitled to their own views but at least know what your talking about!
Separation of Church and State is a Constitutional doctrine that limits government actions. It does not make any demands upon the individual as a non-state actor. Voters are completely free to vote for or not vote for someone based upon religion.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:55 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
[quote=ADR;25632161]As a Christian..............do you vote for a Mormon if you believe he is better for the country??? But wait, he believes something different??????????[.quote]I'd say it all depends on which beliefs you're talking about. For example, Mormons abstain from coffee, tea, alcohol and tobacco. If your President doesn't want a cup of coffee to start off his day, does it really matter? If he wears a different kind of underwear than you do, who cares? Certain beliefs could conceivably influence public policy, but I see no reason on earth why most of the specifics of a candidate's theology should really be of any concern to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies