Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the GOP platform banning all abortions in all cases?
Yes 14 17.72%
No 64 81.01%
Not sure 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,215,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
GOP rejects rape exception in platform - James Hohmann - POLITICO.com

So much for states rights...

To the young girls of the United States: If your father or uncle rapes you, the Republican Party wants you to have his baby.
What's more, with all the cuts in the social parachute they are proposing, they want these girls to raise these babies on their own!

Yeah, there's Christian charity for you.

If this stays in the platform, I think it is safe to say that the Republicans will lose the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe in giving the death penalty to the rapist but not the little baby - it's also the mother's child, she would still be killing her own flesh and blood child.

But it's time the rapists be given the death penalty - and all the other violent criminals, if someone deserves death, it's the criminal.
So the rights of the unborn baby must triumph over the pregnant woman at all times? But whether you're a man or not, what would you think if you woke up and found yourself pregnant?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
I believe there is no reason for abortion, period. It's still a life no matter how it was conceived. If the woman is so traumatized (as I'm sure she would be), she has every opportunity to work with an adoption agency to find a suitable home for the baby.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I used to consider myself anti abortion, but as I've gotten older my views have evolved--age has a way of helping you realize that life doesn't always work out the way you plan it, and most situations in life aren't black and white. That said, I think abortion is a terrible form of birth control--it should happen rarely. I could never have had one, unless I would have been in a position where my life was on the line. I can't fathom anyone having an abortion after the first couple of months unless the life of the mother is endangered.

Even with all that, the bottom line is that a blob of cells the size of an M&M is not a baby--just because it has the POTENTIAL to become a human being doesn't make it one. An acorn is NOT an oak tree. The mother IS a human being, and the impact on the mother should carry priority. Although I disagree, I can at least understand the position some take to ban abortion as a form of routine birth control, although I don't think I have the right to make that decision for another person. What I CAN'T fathom is to be so cruel that you would even consider outlawing abortion any time, for any reason, including rape, incest and the life of the mother.
Um, its DNA makes it very human the second conception occurs.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Now.......do I really need to find my shocked face that a party's platform, in this case the GOP, is constructed to pander to its base?

Flashback: DNC makes Gay marriage part of DNC platform.........

Newsflash: both parties' governing party head committees pander to their bases!

YAWN..........

The main difference is... republican candidates don't follow the GOP platform as diligently as the democrats follow theirs.
In other words, the GOP platform is conservative - pandering to their base as you said - but most GOP candidates are
moderate when it comes to social issues. Romney is a perfect example. I'm not playing that game anymore.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
this just proves the GOP is deaf to whats going on.

focus on the economy and stay out of these stupid social issues.
I haven't heard anything about this. Everything I've heard any Republican or conservative talking about lately is the economy. We are not stupid enough to make this election about anything other than Obama's failure of a presidency and the economy he has refused to help us with.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I believe there is no reason for abortion, period. It's still a life no matter how it was conceived. If the woman is so traumatized (as I'm sure she would be), she has every opportunity to work with an adoption agency to find a suitable home for the baby.
So if a woman thinks it's murder to get an abortion, then she shouldn't get one when she finds herself pregnant. But who knows how many women say abortion is murder and no one should get one, but when they find the table turned on themselves, they go sneak off and get an abortion. That is what I call sick, sick morals.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I tend to agree. There was a time in our nation's history when rape was a death penalty crime for the convicted rapist.

This is probably a better article than the one linked by the OP: GOP platform committee approves tough anti-abortion stance – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Anyone who pays attention to the words "Constitutional ban" understand that this would mean amending the US Constitution. Realistically, that is not going to happen by a 2/3rds affirmative vote by the states even if such and Amendment actually made it through both the Senate and the US House.

Now.......do I really need to find my shocked face that a party's platform, in this case the GOP, is constructed to pander to its base?

Flashback: DNC makes Gay marriage part of DNC platform.........

Newsflash: both parties' governing party head committees pander to their bases!

YAWN..........
Honestly it doesn't even matter what they put in the platform, it only matters what the candidate wants and will push through. Gay marriage won't pass at the federal level and neither will the abortion thing. It's really not worth even talking about at this point.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
What's more, with all the cuts in the social parachute they are proposing, they want these girls to raise these babies on their own!

Yeah, there's Christian charity for you.

If this stays in the platform, I think it is safe to say that the Republicans will lose the election.
Uh, yeah, that's what's supposed to happen. It's not supposed to be a welfare grab bag, it's a BABY.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,215,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Do you really believe that the adoption agencies that exist in this country could handle an additional 1.5 million unwanted children each year? They can't handle the ones they have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies