Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the GOP platform banning all abortions in all cases?
Yes 14 17.72%
No 64 81.01%
Not sure 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Even as Mitt Romney sought to quash the furor surrounding Todd Akin’s “legitimate” rape comments, the Republican platform committee here approved an abortion plank that includes no exemptions for rape, incest or even to save the life of the mother.

The platform committee instead approved draft language Tuesday, calling for a “Human Life Amendment” that gives legal protection to the unborn.
GOP rejects rape exception in platform - James Hohmann - POLITICO.com

So much for states rights...

To the young girls of the United States: If your father or uncle rapes you, the Republican Party wants you to have his baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 05:13 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
I used to consider myself anti abortion, but as I've gotten older my views have evolved--age has a way of helping you realize that life doesn't always work out the way you plan it, and most situations in life aren't black and white. That said, I think abortion is a terrible form of birth control--it should happen rarely. I could never have had one, unless I would have been in a position where my life was on the line. I can't fathom anyone having an abortion after the first couple of months unless the life of the mother is endangered.

Even with all that, the bottom line is that a blob of cells the size of an M&M is not a baby--just because it has the POTENTIAL to become a human being doesn't make it one. An acorn is NOT an oak tree. The mother IS a human being, and the impact on the mother should carry priority. Although I disagree, I can at least understand the position some take to ban abortion as a form of routine birth control, although I don't think I have the right to make that decision for another person. What I CAN'T fathom is to be so cruel that you would even consider outlawing abortion any time, for any reason, including rape, incest and the life of the mother.

Last edited by mb1547; 08-21-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
I believe in giving the death penalty to the rapist but not the little baby - it's also the mother's child, she would still be killing her own flesh and blood child.

But it's time the rapists be given the death penalty - and all the other violent criminals, if someone deserves death, it's the criminal.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
romney wants the exception put in the platform. but if you are voting for a candidate just because they dont like abortion, then you need to not vote.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,328 times

They haven't gone far enough.

Rapists are repeat offenders and should be executed, not imprisoned at the expense of the taxpayer.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
romney wants the exception put in the platform. but if you are voting for a candidate just because they dont like abortion, then you need to not vote.
Because you, of course, should make the decision for every other American on what is important and what isn't. Do you need a brace to keep that big, swollen mess that you call your head from falling off your neck?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:20 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
People are free to vote on whichever issues they deem important. Abortion is a big one for a lot of people.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
this just proves the GOP is deaf to whats going on.

focus on the economy and stay out of these stupid social issues.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,328 times

Most people in the GOP and who vote GOP are social conservatives.

I realize they may not be as strongly conservative as they once were.

But the fact is... without this social conservative base, Romney has no chance.

I am a case in point.

This social conservative who usually votes GOP and attends GOP conventions has done neither this year.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Default Much ado about nothing......GOP base pandering at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe in giving the death penalty to the rapist but not the little baby - it's also the mother's child, she would still be killing her own flesh and blood child.

But it's time the rapists be given the death penalty - and all the other violent criminals, if someone deserves death, it's the criminal.
I tend to agree. There was a time in our nation's history when rape was a death penalty crime for the convicted rapist.

This is probably a better article than the one linked by the OP: GOP platform committee approves tough anti-abortion stance – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
Tampa, Florida (CNN) – Republicans drafting their party's official policy platform on Tuesday ratified a call for a Constitutional ban on abortion that makes no exceptions for rape or incest.
Anyone who pays attention to the words "Constitutional ban" understand that this would mean amending the US Constitution. Realistically, that is not going to happen by a 2/3rds affirmative vote by the states even if such and Amendment actually made it through both the Senate and the US House.

Now.......do I really need to find my shocked face that a party's platform, in this case the GOP, is constructed to pander to its base?

Flashback: DNC makes Gay marriage part of DNC platform.........

Newsflash: both parties' governing party head committees pander to their bases!

YAWN..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies