Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 06:28 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Exactly, also now those who favor equal protection under the law for gays but also support the rights of businesses to not engage in activities they do not wish to engage in have conflicted interests. I cannot support gay marriage, a cause I believe in, without also undermining the rights of business owners, another cause I believe in.
That explains my conflict too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 06:32 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You know what they say about those who deny him openly, right?
That they are grown ups who have put childish irrational beliefs behind them?

Last edited by Ceist; 08-26-2012 at 06:46 AM..

Old 08-26-2012, 08:04 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Here's the latest from the "normalizing homosexuality" files: Catholic innkeepers in Vermont are fined $30,000 and lose their wedding business for refusing to pretend that two women can marry each other.

"A Vermont resort that was sued last year for refusing to host a lesbian couple’s wedding reception and violating Vermont’s Fair Housing and Public Accommodations Act finalized an agreement to resolve the lawsuit today. As part of the settlement, the resort will pay $10,000 to the Vermont Human Rights Commission as a civil penalty and will place $20,000 in a charitable trust to be disbursed by the couple.

... As part of the settlement, the Wildflower Inn agreed to no longer host wedding receptions."

well, they broke the law. there are laws against discrimination that a business has to follow. you can't refuse service because someone has a born trait you don't like.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What happened to a business owners right to refuse service? I guess business owners have no rights either. Maybe they run a family oriented business and did not want a bunch of gay pride folks running around.
um, this was a married couple i.e. a FAMILY, gay people have 'families' too you know and many of us are family oriented. are you saying that there would be a gay pride parade there at their HONEYMOON?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
The very heart of the homosexualist movement is lawbreaking and rebellion. For years we've heard a litany of excuses for your lawbreaking. The pictures show a couple instances of lawbreaking to which your response would hardly be "break the law, pay the consequences".

It's hilarious watching you people morph into reflexive, hypocritical law-and-order fascists once you get a little taste of power.
excuse me, but i never chose to be gay, and i'm one of the least 'rebellious' people. in fact i'm a cookies and milk kind of guy. I go to church, have a bachelors in religion, don't do drugs, smoke or drink. i've never NOT been gay. so what is it i 'rebelled' from?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
A victory for the homosexual militant agenda bullies.
wanting to stay at a hotel makes you a bully?

wow, so straight people don't use hotels?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
My feeling is that I do believe, that eventually we will see a large amount of gays demanding to be married at churches. I dont think it is unreasonable to think that is over the horizon.

As far as the law, yes I know the laws. And I said I disagree with them. I believe if you own a business, you should be able to refuse service to anyone for any reason or no reason at all. It is your business. I feel as the business owner, that should be your right. That is my personal opinion. If a business didnt want to serve me for whatever reason, fine. I may not be happy about it, but then I would gladly take my money to someone who would accept it.
um, religions are private organizations. they can and OFTEN DO deny weddings to STRAIGHT couples if they feel that they shouldn't get married or to those of other religions. a church HAS never and WILL never be forced to marry ANY couple gay or straight since they aren't businesses open to the general public, but private organizations.

Also, since gay couples can marry at a courthouse, or in many denominations already, why would they 'need' a particular church to marry them, not withstanding the fact that churches CAN NOT EVER be forced to marry ANYBODY and is not what gay people care about anyway

Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I believe gays should have freedom of association; they should have the freedom to marry.

I also believe business owners should have freedom of association; they should have the freedom to pick their clientele.

It does not seem in our nation that both groups can have their natural right of freedom of association.

I support gay rights up to the point where they no longer are fighting for equal protection under the law but begin forcing private citizens to engage in actions they wish to be no part of.
nailed it

Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
nailed it
well, that simply wouldn't work. a MAJORITY of people actually don't like gay people enough to actually vote on their rights. So does that mean that it would be OK if gay people weren't allowed to buy groceries or eat at ANY RESTAURANT in MANY towns.

Is it OK if black people are forced to stay away from 80 percent of businesses in some parts of the south?

Sorry, but THEY chose to OPEN a business. A PUBLIC BUSINESS. in their state like it should in all and at the federal level, it includes sexual orientation. THEY CHOSE to open a business to the public. so it is NOT impacting their rights. Keep in mind you're saying that serving gay people is IMPACTING THEIR RIGHT... their right to WHAT.. discriminate? in MANY states including my own i could be forced to be HOMELESS because it's LEGAL to deny me housing or access to grocery stores and restaurants. so in a way it's LEGAL to KILL me in my state

and yet i don't see you too concerned about that?

I think it's bizarre how FAR DOWN in people hatred of us gays goes when we're not even important about to care enough at a base level. and how bigotry against us is simply said to be 'a difference of an opinion' when if it's a racial difference everybody is up in arms about it even though that's really just a difference of opinion as well.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:00 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I support Gay Marriage and really don't care who sleeps with whom. My one request is that Gay people act appropriately in public. We were at Disney World last summer, eating dinner. A gay couple, two women were at the table next to us, they were making out right there. I am thinking, get a room! Even if a straight couple had been acting that way I would have been thinking the same way. We were with a couple who was 85 years old, and they were uncomfortable. I would have said something to this lesbian couple, but I was afriad they would take it as an insults of gay rights. No, it was inappropriate behavior for anyone eating at a nice family place for dinner. I won't get graphic...but it was way out of line.

Some gay folks act normal and appropriate. Fine. It is the ones who have no class or manners that people think of when they think of "gay" couples.

Agreed. Discrimination is wrong. But so is being over the top gay and acting like you are in a gay night club in San Francisco, when you are eating dinner at a family restaurant in Disney. I wonder if this hotel in Vermont thought the entire party would act that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies