Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:36 PM

18,432 posts, read 19,084,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Very few if any are because of medical complications.

B.S. go ahead and call an abortion clinic, tell them you are 7.5 months along in a healthy pregnancy and now have changed your mind about going to term. there isn't a doc around that would do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 03:36 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,444,080 times
If fetus is the name of a biological entity before birth
and if childbirth is defined, according to what I read, as the accumulation of a pregnancy (i.e. the end)

Then couldn't you argue that events that intervene prior to full-term child-birth could still be called a fetus?

And are there any OBGYN here? Maybe doctors call them a Fetus until they breathe or verify living on their own or something

Think there is a lot of jumping to conclusions here. I don't think this is a Obama not knowing something (i.e. idiot) but a thin line in our terminology. I mean you could also easily argue that a fetus IS a Child (why not?)

Old 08-28-2012, 03:37 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,423,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
You people pull this every election year it is old and tiring.
So why doesn't your Party take it out of their platform?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,343,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
He didn't know because, frankly, not even the delivering physician necessarily knows beforehand.

Breathing or movements are not a guarantee of viability, regardless of heroic measures forced upon it.

Actually this also happens in situations of induced early labor (due to emergent complications of fetus or the woman) or spontaneous premature labor.

If a fetus emerges at, say, 22 weeks under either of those circumstances and is not stillborn, the doctor determines whether heroic measures are to be taken or not. Sometimes it is a case of state law regarding gestation alone, the facility's guidelines, or the physician's own determination based on vital signs, lung maturity, etc.

The mere fact that a fetus isn't stillborn -- regardless of circumstances causing the separation from the womb -- is no guarantee that a doctor is going to try to save it.

Some situations are simply futile.
Do you consider 22 weeks to be late term? Many of us would prefer 32 weeks and abortions do happen that late in the term.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Probably because that happened a week ago.
I think the probability is that the party to be damaged by the story is more like the truth.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Heroic measures? I believe that what we are discussing is basic medical care that every newborn needs if it is going to survive. Why are you making a distinction? This is a new human life and it is outside the womb - there should be no excuse why the baby would not receive the best care available.

these are not healthy newborn babies.

perhaps if you had any experience with a pregnant woman who has to undergo a late term abortion you wouldn't make such dumb ass statements.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,745,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
If fetus is the name of a biological entity before birth
and if childbirth is defined, according to what I read, as the accumulation of a pregnancy (i.e. the end)

Then couldn't you argue that events that intervene prior to full-term child-birth could still be called a fetus?

And are there any OBGYN here? Maybe doctors call them a Fetus until they breathe or verify living on their own or something

Think there is a lot of jumping to conclusions here. I don't think this is a Obama not knowing something (i.e. idiot) but a thin line in our terminology. I mean you could also easily argue that a fetus IS a Child (why not?)
Yes, after it has passed the gestational period of being an embryo, it is a fetus until birth.

What changes during the fetal period is whether that fetus is viable or non-viable. This can be due to gestational age, fetal lung maturity, chromosomal anomalies, structural anomalies, or other antenatal complications (ie, exposure to toxins or other drugs, complete placental abruption, etc).

Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Not prior to the formation of a heart.
About how soon does that heart form and begin beating?

Who is Norma McCorvey? You do know, I hope.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,068,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
these are not healthy newborn babies.
All the more reason why the baby should receive medical care.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
About how soon does that heart form and begin beating?

Who is Norma McCorvey? You do know, I hope.

the heart forms early on but that does not mean it is mature nor can it help the fetus to survive outside the womb.

yes most of us know who norma is.

can you name a woman who has died from a back alley or coat hanger abortion? I can
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies