Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 07:05 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,640 times

Advertisements

I would like to shake this man's hand. He rocks!!!

KRNV Video Player
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 07:16 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
While I agree with what the man did, I almost feel bad for the store owner in that IF what he says is true he was simply ignorant of the law (which is no excuse, I know) but for him to receive THAT much flak from the media is a bit out of hand.....

IF someone told him ahead of time what he was doing wrong and he chose not to comply then he got what he deserved... It just depends.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
I think it's just *common sense* to realize that if you're going to fly a foreign national flag in ANY country, you put that nation's flag above the flag of your own country.

If I were to move to Britain, it would be the Union Jack on top of the Stars and Stripes. Out of respect for the locals!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
This story is being talked about extensively in the Immigration subforum.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:04 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,030 times
Mr. Broussard is still serving our country, even though no longer in uniform. I'd like to buy him a brewski

Old 10-05-2007, 12:18 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think it's just *common sense* to realize that if you're going to fly a foreign national flag in ANY country, you put that nation's flag above the flag of your own country. If I were to move to Britain, it would be the Union Jack on top of the Stars and Stripes. Out of respect for the locals!
The proper way of displaying two sovereign nation's flags is side by side on flagpoles of equal height. It is considered offensive to fly one nation's flag higher than another's. I'd like to believe that this particular incident was born of ignorance, but the illegal immigration issue in this country is one that is continually danced around by politicians from the President on down. Until they deal with it things will continue to come to a head like they did in this instance.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
The proper way of displaying two sovereign nation's flags is side by side on flagpoles of equal height. It is considered offensive to fly one nation's flag higher than another's.
I don't mind it. Individuals rarely have more than one flag pole anyway. Governments and businesses on the other hand...

Old 10-05-2007, 01:33 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
You know what burns MY gravy? The "patriotic" folks in my neighborhood who put up American flags and then forget all about them. Sun, rain, day, night, they leave them out all the time until they become faded and raggedy looking. I have no idea what is wrong with these people.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:47 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
If the guy said he didn't realize he was being irreverent, I tend to believe him.

How about those who only fly the Mexican flag? Isn't that worse? Seems like the guy was trying to be inclusive and messed up.

The path to he*l, eh?

The flag issue has been a big deal before in the South when folks would fly the confederate flag above the American flag. I think they even did that at the capitol building in Alabama back in the day. It has been against the law for a while, but isn't generally enforced.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:39 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
While I agree with what the man did, I almost feel bad for the store owner in that IF what he says is true he was simply ignorant of the law (which is no excuse, I know) but for him to receive THAT much flak from the media is a bit out of hand.....

IF someone told him ahead of time what he was doing wrong and he chose not to comply then he got what he deserved... It just depends.
I agree with you, couldn't this Vet walk into the restuarant and explain the issue to him? Instead this guy rips down both flags and steals this owner"s
American flag! He has committed a property crime in the first place regardless of his opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies