Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:39 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Workers is plural. The apostrophe follows the "s" to indicate the possessive. Tool?
I stand corrected. But we're talking group outcomes here. Nobody said the South did not have smart people.

Nobody argues all Southerners are dumb, but as a group they are, in comparison to other areas of the country.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Hillbillies, illegals and those from the urban ghetto, why do we find their antics funny? So we can feel smugly superior?
That clip... uggh. They're the redneck's answer to Cedric The Entertainer, Steve Harvey, Tyler Perry and George Perez. At least get a Bush impersonator that looks like him.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I stand corrected. But the point still stands.

Nobody argues all Southerners are dumb. But as a group they are in comparison to other areas of the country.
As a group, they are just as intelligent as groups from other areas of the country.

As I pointed out, your methods of evaluating intelligence are inherently flawed. College entrance exams don't measure intelligence, they measure how well-prepared a person is academically for college. Every item you listed as an example is statistically tied to poverty. Whether that poverty occurs in the South or in any other region of the country. The fact that the South has a legacy of poverty to overcome is because the South lost the Civil War and was punished economically. The Great Depression had a greater impact on the already impoverished region of the country, and while it joined the rest of the country in the economic boom times post-World War II, its recovery lagged the rest of the country's because of the long-term poverty it had endured. The people of the South are quite as intelligent as the people of any other region of the country.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
As a group, they are just as intelligent as groups from other areas of the country.

As I pointed out, your methods of evaluating intelligence are inherently flawed. College entrance exams don't measure intelligence, they measure how well-prepared a person is academically for college. Every item you listed as an example is statistically tied to poverty. Whether that poverty occurs in the South or in any other region of the country. The fact that the South has a legacy of poverty to overcome is because the South lost the Civil War and was punished economically. The Great Depression had a greater impact on the already impoverished region of the country, and while it joined the rest of the country in the economic boom times post-World War II, its recovery lagged the rest of the country's because of the long-term poverty it had endured. The people of the South are quite as intelligent as the people of any other region of the country.
It boils down to IQ. SAT scores have a strong correlation with IQ scores. Poverty is strongly correlated with IQ.

Sorry. It's just a brutal fact of life. Even correcting for racial makeup, Blue states have higher IQs.

The Audacious Epigone: State IQ estimates (2009)

Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
I think southerners are ignorant, not dumb. But then there is this species of educated southerner, and they are a hoot!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
I stand corrected. But we're talking group outcomes here. Nobody said the South did not have smart people.

Nobody argues all Southerners are dumb, but as a group they are, in comparison to other areas of the country.
You brought up SAT scores. Which state had the highest average score and which the lowest in 2011? Are they the states you expected?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You brought up SAT scores. Which state had the highest average score and which the lowest in 2011? Are they the states you expected?
Correcting for racial makeup of the States, and test participation rates, yes Blue States have the higher SAT/ACT scores in general.

And if you want to just narrow it down to "Southern" states the difference is even larger.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 AM

376 posts, read 295,837 times
Quote:

Thats because even dumb people are smart enough to move south. By the way, we are full now, no more vacancies, stay home,.....please. I'm sure things are gonna work out for ya'll.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
There are stupid people of every color everywhere.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Correcting for racial makeup of the States, and test participation rates, yes Blue States have the higher SAT/ACT scores in general.

And if you want to just narrow it down to "Southern" states the difference is even larger.
Why correct for racial makeup or participation? I'd rather hear about the scores including all students who took the test. They all live in the state, why shouldn't they be included?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies