Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 01:34 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times

Advertisements

Funny every Mormon I've known thought soda was a big no-no. Guess we'll be seeing Mitt take a big swig of soda on the campaign trail sometime soon:

"Despite what was reported, the Church revelation spelling out health practices (Doctrine and Covenants 89) does not mention the use of caffeine. The Church’s health guidelines prohibits alcoholic drinks, smoking or chewing of tobacco, and “hot drinks” — taught by Church leaders to refer specifically to tea and coffee.”

LDS Church clarifies caffeine use for faithful | FOX13Now.com

So why doesn't BYU sell caffeinated drinks on campus?

"At the LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University, caffeinated drinks are not sold. It is not because of a church or university edict, said spokeswoman Carri Jenkins, but customer demand. “Dining Services has made the decision to not sell or serve caffeinated beverages on campus,” she told FOX 13. “Simply based on what our customers want or do not want."

Uh huh.

Last edited by helenejen; 09-01-2012 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 01:41 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
With Willard being a devout mormon, it makes you wonder if given the chance, would go after bringing back prohibition on steroids this time to ban not just alcohol, but tobacco and caffeine as well,..

Old 09-01-2012, 02:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
A friend of mine is mormon and while he doesn't drink *hot* coffee, he likes it iced. An the last convention I was at he was mainlining soda. We asked him and he said it was okay if it was cold... hmmmm..... sooo strange is this rule.

Could never be a mormon, couldn't go without the hot steaming breakfast of choice.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:10 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
My husband and I had an open house in our backyard last weekend which was attended by roughly 50 Mormons from our congregation. We had all kinds of soft drinks (from root beer to 7-Up), Welches fruit drinks, lemonade and bottled water. We also had about as much Diet Coke available as all of the other drinks put together. When the party ended, the Diet Coke was almost completely gone, but we have more of the other drinks left than we'll use in months.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
A friend of mine is mormon and while he doesn't drink *hot* coffee, he likes it iced. An the last convention I was at he was mainlining soda. We asked him and he said it was okay if it was cold... hmmmm..... sooo strange is this rule.
Actually, that sounds like his own interpretation of the rule. The "Word of Wisdom" prohibits "hot drinks." That has, for over 150 years, been officially interpreted as "coffee and tea." Many Mormons drink caffeinated sodas because they are not prohibited. I suppose someone could argue that "cold coffee and tea" are permitted, but that would technically be in conflict with the official stance of the Church.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
With Willard being a devout mormon, it makes you wonder if given the chance, would go after bringing back prohibition on steroids this time to ban not just alcohol, but tobacco and caffeine as well,..
Well, you can stop wondering. The LDS Church has no desire to force its health policies on the rest of the popuation.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My husband and I had an open house in our backyard last weekend which was attended by roughly 50 Mormons. We had all kinds of soft drinks (from root beer to 7-Up), Welches fruit drinks, lemonade and bottled water. We also had about as much Diet Coke available as all of the other drinks put together. When the party ended, the Diet Coke was almost completely gone, but we have more of the other drinks left than we'll use in months.
Root beer and 7-up are caffeine free, so those have never been an issue, have they? But I always loved being out with a group of Mormons and watching the politics of the beverage order. Those that ordered Coke or coffee always seemed to feel the need to admit that they were being "bad," like a Catholic eating meat on a Friday during Lent.

What actually bothers me about this announcement is BYU's statement that it is everyday Mormons who demanded that caffeinated drinks, including sodas, not be offered on campus. How stupid does that spokesperson think we are? Even your description of your open house refutes the logic behind her comment.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
The LDS church has always been pragmatic, and political. I see this as a way to be more mainstream.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
How exactly is this topic political or controversial?

Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
Scrape, Scrape. Yep, that's the bottom of the barrell.

If you guys are so worried about a war on soft drinks, head to NYC where this is an actual war on soda consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies