Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 05:32 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Don't count on that happening any time soon. The GOP seems to fee differently.
Yes you are 100% right. The GOP would just to make this country into a theocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 05:51 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Funny every Mormon I've known thought soda was a big no-no. Guess we'll be seeing Mitt take a big swig of soda on the campaign trail sometime soon:

"Despite what was reported, the Church revelation spelling out health practices (Doctrine and Covenants 89) does not mention the use of caffeine. The Church’s health guidelines prohibits alcoholic drinks, smoking or chewing of tobacco, and “hot drinks” — taught by Church leaders to refer specifically to tea and coffee.”

LDS Church clarifies caffeine use for faithful | FOX13Now.com

So why doesn't BYU sell caffeinated drinks on campus?

"At the LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University, caffeinated drinks are not sold. It is not because of a church or university edict, said spokeswoman Carri Jenkins, but customer demand. “Dining Services has made the decision to not sell or serve caffeinated beverages on campus,” she told FOX 13. “Simply based on what our customers want or do not want."

Uh huh.
Let me see if I can understand this...

--"Hot drinks", which are never specified in the Book of Mormon as to type, have been interpreted for decades as their prohibition of tea and coffee.

--"Hot drinks" somehow does not prohibit hot chocolate (which also is hot and contains caffeine), hot broth, or hot herbal tea.

--Cold caffeine -- as found in a Coke -- is now ok'd by the church, but probably not an iced latté, iced tea, or Red Bull.

Hot tea? BAD

Hot coffee? BAD

Hot decaffeinated tea? Probably BAD because it's cheating.

Hot decaffeinated coffee? Probably BAD, another one trying to get past the church doctrine, sneaky thing.

Hot chocolate? GOOD

Jello? Off-topic, but always found at LDS potlucks. Gah.

Iced latté? Most likely BAD, since it's a Hot Coffee in disguise.

Caffeine-free diet Coke? GOOD, and found in abundance at BYU according to my sister who went there.

Fully-leaded Coke? Was BAD, now GOOD.

Oh dear. Selective hypocrisy whenever it suits them (and their guy hoping to get in the White House).

Old 09-01-2012, 06:14 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Root beer and 7-up are caffeine free, so those have never been an issue, have they? But I always loved being out with a group of Mormons and watching the politics of the beverage order. Those that ordered Coke or coffee always seemed to feel the need to admit that they were being "bad," like a Catholic eating meat on a Friday during Lent.

What actually bothers me about this announcement is BYU's statement that it is everyday Mormons who demanded that caffeinated drinks, including sodas, not be offered on campus. How stupid does that spokesperson think we are? Even your description of your open house refutes the logic behind her comment.
I work with a Mormon; he's a convert and likes his cold soda drinks. LOL

Old 09-01-2012, 06:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Many Mormons drink caffeinated sodas because they are not prohibited.
Have they ever been prohibited? I can remember Olive Osmond on the Mike Douglas show years ago explaining the LDS church and she said they (Mormons) don't drink any form of caffeine.

I've definitely had Mormons tell me they don't drink anything with caffeine because the church said "no". Which leads us to the first time I heard the term Jack Mormon.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:20 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,798 times
As idiotic as is the ban on coffee/tea (Well sort of... I guess iced teas and coffees are OK? What a weird and pointless distinction...), Mormonism has no monopoly on nonsensical, arbitrary, do-it-just-'cause-I-say-so rules!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Well, it pertains to Mormonism. How is Mormonism not controversial?
Maybe you see clean living, being sober, and so on as being "controversial"? Sheesh!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:22 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Hey, before you knock Mitt, why not go after Bloomberg who wants to ban just about everything he thinks is bad for you in NYC?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Maybe you see clean living, being sober, and so on as being "controversial"? Sheesh!
Psssst. Katpur is Mormon; she was being sarcastic

Old 09-01-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Psssst. Katpur is Mormon; she was being sarcastic
Got it. My bad. LOL

Old 09-01-2012, 07:53 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Have they ever been prohibited?
No, they have never been prohibited, but it's been a long-standing assumption among many Mormons that tea and coffee were initially prohibited specifically because the one ingredient they have in common is caffeine. Those same individuals are likely the ones who believe that any caffeinated beverages are also prohibited. On the other hand, it would be accurate to say that caffeinated beverages are "discouraged." Like I said in a previous post, though, the fact that probably at least one-third of the fifty Mormons I had at my house a week ago chose Diet Coke from among a wide variety of other drinks they could have picked from indicates that a lot of us do simply avoid tea and coffee, but still drink caffeinated sodas. (By the way, nobody was hiding what they were drinking from anybody else. )

Quote:
I can remember Olive Osmond on the Mike Douglas show years ago explaining the LDS church and she said they (Mormons) don't drink any form of caffeine.
Many don't, but I can assure you that many (including many who are definitely practicing members of the Church, and not "jack Mormons") do.

Quote:
I've definitely had Mormons tell me they don't drink anything with caffeine because the church said "no". Which leads us to the first time I heard the term Jack Mormon.
Well, the church has never said "no caffeine"; it has, for many, many years, said "no tea or coffee."

You really have to put this into the context in which the "Word of Wisdom" (the Church's health code) was initially issued, back in 1838. The actual wording of what we believe was a revelation to Joseph Smith, prohibits "hot drinks." In 1838, that was understood to mean one thing only: tea and coffee. There was no Coke, Dr. Pepper or Mountain Dew back then. The Church has continued to state its "official" position in the same way over the years: No "hot drinks," meaning "tea and coffee." The same revelation also prohibited "strong drinks," which was interpreted as "alcoholic beverages" and no "tobacco." It also stresses a diet high in whole grains, fruits and vegetables and with meat in moderation.

The whole point behind the Word of Wisdom is to provide a guideline for healthy eating. Studies (most notably at UCLA) have shown that practicing Mormons have a significantly longer life expectancy (here in the U.S.) than the average non-Mormon. Caffeine -- because it is addictive -- probably isn't good for you, and most Mormons who drink caffeinated sodas would probably acknowledge that. Likewise, many non-Mormons who drink alcoholic beverages and who smoke would acknowledge that those things aren't good for you either. There is often a discrepancy between what we know to be wise and what we choose to do anyway.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-01-2012 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies