Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Definitions of 'child' vary it seems to support one's position. 15 yr olds make up a large protion of gang members and 'children' are used to commit crimes as they do not receive adult punishment. even a 17 year old is consider a child used to be able to enlist in the navy as a 'kiddee cruiser'.

So many other causes to woryy about other than firearms.

Odd don't you think that schools have fire prevention week where children are taugth to be safe arounf fire but there are no school programs to teach children about firearm safety considering that they are bombed by media showcasing firearm laced movies and games. Seem almst reckless behavior to not teach children gun safety with the help of the NRA and Eddie the Eagle safety program.

Just in NYC fire related child (1-12) deaths were 2nd only to car accidents....

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]"In NYC, motor vehicle-related crashes are the leading cause of unintentional child injury deaths, followed by fire
and burn-related deaths, the leading cause of death to children in the home. In this report, fire-related deaths
were the focus of an in-depth investigation.[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]• [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]From 2001 to 2006, 43 separate residential fires led to 66 fire-related fatalities among children aged 1–12 years.
These fires contributed to 95 deaths (adults and children).[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]• [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]The fire death rate among black children (1.4 deaths per 100,000 black children) was nearly twice that of white
children (0.8 deaths per 100,000 white children) and more than three times that of Hispanic children (0.4 deaths
per 100,000 Hispanic children).[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]• [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Child fire death rates were comparable across most boroughs except Manhattan, where fewer fire deaths occurred.[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]• [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Smoke inhalation was the cause of death for two thirds of fire-related deaths.[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]• [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Fatal fires occurred most frequently in the fall and winter months and during late night and early morning hours."
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 08:42 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I believe that everyone should be required to demonstrate a level of familiarity, if not proficiency, with firearms before they can purchase or own one. Familiarity can be demonstrated by presenting a military ID card, law enforcement credentials, etc. or taking a certified gun safety course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
How do you know that the military member or law enforcement officer actually knows what they're doing?
Case in point.

Army soldier tries to cure hiccups, shoots friend | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Old 09-27-2012, 09:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I prefer the simple rule that the person that pulls the trigger is completely responsible for any damage done by the bullet. If the gun is deliberately aimed at a person and the bullet kills that person the shooter had better have a very good reason. If the bullet misses its intended target and injures someone else the shooter is in real trouble. The key concept is individual responsibility for any damage done by the bullet.

I am a liberal optimist that believes anyone handling a firearm will have asked for some instructions before they picked it up. I do not believe the government should be even registering firearms of any kind let alone prescribing instruction requirements. Buying a gun should involve as much government intervention as buying a toothbrush.

I also think the shooting, rifle, pistol and shotgun, should be a High School sport with ranges in every school. These ranges should be available to the public during the evening and on weekends for a reasonable (covers costs) fee. Once most of the population is familiar with firearms, including concealed carry, we will have a much safer society. I’ll bet most law officers and all the criminals will strongly disagree.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,927 times
Hmm, I believe there are about 8 children killed each year DAY by abuse or neglect from their parents. Maybe we should ban parents, they seem to be more dangerous then pools or gun. (Yes, I know there are far more of them also, being sarcastic here) You can use a pool as a weapon when you drown somebody in it. I suppose anything can be used as a weapon in the right (or wrong) situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
uh, this is why I don't own a pool, do not own a gun, and always wear a helmet. I knew about this since Freakenomics covered it some time ago..

But here is why I would still support Gun Control and think the right to bear *grrr* arms is nonsense. I've never heard of someone using their pool to attack someone else. . .nor their bike. So. . .thats why I would put different rules/obligations on guns than pools or other items.

So deadly weapons - no
deadly summertime activities that just hurt you and your family - go for it

Freakonomics » Chapter 5

"Consider the parents of an eight-year-old girl named, say, Molly. Her two best friends, Amy and Imani, each live nearby. Molly’s parents know that Amy’s parents keep a gun in their house, so they have forbidden Molly to play there. Instead, Molly spends a lot of time at Imani’s house, which has a swimming pool in the backyard. Molly’s parents feel good about having made such a smart choice to protect their daughter.
But according to the data, their choice isn’t smart at all. In a given year, there is one drowning of a child for every 11,000 residential pools in the United States. (In a country with 6 million pools, this means that roughly 550 children under the age of ten drown each year.) Meanwhile, there is 1 child killed by a gun for every 1 million-plus guns. (In a country with an estimated 200 million guns, this means that roughly 175 children under ten die each year from guns.) The likelihood of death by pool (1 in 11,000) versus death by gun (1 in 1 million-plus) isn’t even close: Molly is roughly 100 times more likely to die in a swimming accident at Imani’s house than in gunplay at Amy’s."

Old 09-30-2012, 01:06 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
If we give government the authority to ban or restrict SOME guns, what makes you think they won't soon turn it into the authority to ban or restrict ALL guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies