Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
You and I will just disagree with that. Its my opinion she is just hiding behind her kids and using them as a reason to be concerned that asians, and indians are creeping into her neighborhood. Oh the horror. I think its rascist, but that is just my opinion. I'm an african american, and my kid will be a minority in the neighborhood, but I'm not concerned their childhood will go to hell. Like I said before, if you are worried about asians and indians in your neighborhood, you are pathetic.
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but it seems your observations are probably accurate. I can sort of understand being concerned with a demographic shift (any shift), but at the same time, I've survived these changes AND being in the minority for most of my life - and it hasn't hurt me, in fact I think it's made me a better person. So the OP should be grateful for this opportunity, unless they can point us to how it's made the neighborhood worse... i.e. have crime rates gone up, house values dropped, or what?

Currently I live in a city which is almost equally divided between Asian, Hispanic & non-Hispanic white (with a small percentage of Black and "other"), and the crime rates here are actually quite low for a big city. I won't claim everything is rainbows & sunshine, but overall I'd say it is a fairly harmonious mixture of folks. Again, I mostly see being exposed to different cultures as a good thing, so hopefully the OP's children will embrace the benefits of this new environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,957 times
Quote:
She hasn't given us any indication that her kids are being treated any differently because they are white and seems to be assuming that because asians and indians are moving in, her kids are going to be excluded when in school. Thats like assuming that because you see two black families move into the neighborhood, you assume the neighborhood is going to become crime infested when nothing of substance has happened yet. If she would have said her kids are being mistreated because they are the minority, I would say get the hel out.
Hey don't forget the blacks that's moving in also. If you look at the earlier comments it predicted the blacks were coming and so was the crime. LOL. Only on longisland

Old 09-13-2012, 08:21 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Dang... I haven't lived in a town with that many white people in YEARS! That sounds like a high (almost too high) percentage to me, but I guess a Californian's perspective will differ on this issue.
Gizmo980 if you think that high I have a suggestion for the OP she can just move here. West Islip. The school distric is 95% white:

Students
Poor
3%
White
95%
Black
0%
Hispanic
3%
Asian
2%..

Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMary View Post
You obviously dont know the area! The Asian, Indian and Spanish population are far from being the minority.
They are minorities by a large margin.

New Hyde Park is:

58% white non-hispanic
26% Asian (includes both South and East Asians)
12% Hispanic
1% Black

Median income: $89,500

New Hyde Park (village) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

the county as a whole is 65% non-hispanice white so it's not that different.

as of the 2010 census

Quote:
The reason the discussion did not go well is that there are ignorant angry people who like to make everything a racism issue. It is inherent for a parent to want what is best for her child and any good parent would get that.
No, the reason is many do not think that avoiding living near Asians and Hispanic is better for a child.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Go around the states threads in this site and you will see many where someone of x nationality wanting to move to a city/town/neighborhood with people of that same nationality. Why don't they get dinged as being against diversity? White guilt?

I live in a very diverse neighborhood. I have Swedish, Dutch Irish, Italian, German, English and Austrian neighbors.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Go around the states threads in this site and you will see many where someone of x nationality wanting to move to a city/town/neighborhood with people of that same nationality. Why don't they get dinged as being against diversity? White guilt?
Nothing wrong with that. But usually these posters don't expect everyone living in their neighborhood to be of the same nationality just a large proportion. The OP is living in a neighborhood where she'll be a majority, at least half of the people are non-hispanic white.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
That person has every right to move to whatever neighborhood she wants and for whatever reason. Me and other posters have a right to our opinion that she is just a closet racist and is scared that her kids might have to associate with kids of another color. I think its pathetic, but it shouldn't nor will it prevent her from trying to move to a neighborhood that is majority white.
I work with many Asian people and they all talk about moving to the neighborhoods here that are dominated by Asian people, mainly those of Indian descent. Many are consultants who are new to the area and seem to concentrate on moving to these particular neighborhoods while living in temporary apartments. It's quite competitive because there are a lot of people vying for these homes. Many homes have been sold for a bit MORE than the list price because the buyer wants to live in these neighboroods that are majority Indian. I wonder why they don't move to a more diverse neighborhood, in other words, a "white" neighborhood. Just think, there will be Indian, Irish, Italian, German, English, Polish etc. I couldn't think of a more diverse neighborhood.

If you are going to call a white person a closet racist because they want to move out of a neighborhood that is being dominated by people of a different race, then you have to call these Indian people racists as well. It works both ways.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Nothing wrong with that. But usually these posters don't expect everyone living in their neighborhood to be of the same nationality just a large proportion. The OP is living in a neighborhood where she'll be a majority, at least half of the people are non-hispanic white.
It appears she said she would be the minority.

If people think diversity is great, that is fine. I invite you to live in Little "enter name of country here" then.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
It appears she said she would be the minority.
Stats on New Hyde Park were given above by me.

Quote:
If people think diversity is great, that is fine. I invite you to live in Little "enter name of country here" then.
I never said anyone should purposefully seek out diversity. That's very different from purposefully trying to avoid diversity.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post

We are all the same SPECIES, not the same race.

Okay then, we are all human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies