Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 02:44 AM

170 posts, read 203,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I guess you never heard of this guy!
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 03:13 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There's a post on a different NY board in which a person asks what will it be like to be one of the only children of their race in a neighborhood they are considering. Is it racist to ask what it will be like to be a minority in a school?

The OP isn't leaving. Her neighborhood is changing, but laterally -- not going downhill, not improving -- and she wants to remain there, yet wants to make sure that she is giving her children the best childhood ever. If she were worried about Indians, as you have suggested, she wouldn't be posting here. Her house would have been put up for sale.

As I wrote several posts back, this could be a potential social problem for the children. They must be happy and well-adjusted now, and as a mother she is trying to keep it that way. My district has a mix of all sorts of people. White kids and black kids hang out together. The Asian and Indian students go right home after school and study. A few might hang out, but not many.

Why the heck does everyone have to make this into a race thing?
dude, the op is worried about being around indians and asians, its has everything to do with race. This person is scared her kids are going to be growing up around a few more asians, oh the horror. If she is worried about her kids being around indians and asians, her kids are alot more screwed than she realizes. I'd hate to see how she'd react if god forbid they talked to a black person.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:55 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
As a white person, I think I have the right to ask this: Why are white people such tremendous, trembling, overly sensitive, blubbering whiners? As I think about all the members of minority groups who have been either the one or one of the few who have had to live in the overwhelmingly white places I have lived, not a one ever shuddered in fear because they were grossly outnumbered. What amazing people they all were. With all the white prejudice that is fairly common in those rural areas, they didn't whine, they didn't hold their heads, they didn't run away. I certainly woud have.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Hispanic people come from 2 and a half continents and the Caribbean and comprise 3 races, myriad race mixtures, and a multitude of nationalities. That's probably far more diverse than people from Europe.

As for colonization, America is actually much better at assimilating immigrants than Europe.
The common denominator is that they are mostly all Spanish speakers. There are more Hispanics regardless of race/cultural differences coming here both legally and illegally more than any other ethnic group. Most of them are from Mexico. That is not diversity and as evidenced by the way Spanish is being pushed in this country they aren't assimilating but colonizing instead.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The common denominator is that they are mostly all Spanish speakers. There are more Hispanics regardless of race/cultural differences coming here both legally and illegally more than any other ethnic group. Most of them are from Mexico. That is not diversity and as evidenced by the way Spanish is being pushed in this country they aren't assimilating but colonizing instead.
Please cite specific examples of Spanish being "pushed" on you.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Please cite specific examples of Spanish being "pushed" on you.
Spanish isn't being pushed in as much as it's taking second place in some areas.
Stores are just catering to the majority and if the majority is Spanish speaking then that's how it goes.

You can go into some stores and see only the Spanish side of the products.

Maybe you don't see that by you but you can and do see that here in Texas where the demographics are overwhelmingly Hispanic.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:36 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
The difference in tone in this thread from when it was in another forum and now the P&OC forum is striking. It got moved into the shark tank. I'm so tired of talking about race. However, the OP is doing her job as a mother. Stop with the forced diversity. It's only racist to me if you are blocking another person from whatever rights are defined by current laws. It is biologically normal to group into "likeness" as a form of security. It's an instinct. If those in the minority experience becoming a majority in their lifetime, perhaps they will then understand. It's also no different than middle-class whites not wanting to move into the trailer park, and that is what the OP was talking about with her children--safety and a change of culture. You don't have to agree with her. It was also pointed out by someone that cultures and societies have changed all throughout history. True.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
The difference in tone in this thread from when it was in another forum and now the P&OC forum is striking. It got moved into the shark tank. I'm so tired of talking about race. However, the OP is doing her job as a mother. Stop with the forced diversity. It's only racist to me if you are blocking another person from whatever rights are defined by current laws. It is biologically normal to group into "likeness" as a form of security. It's an instinct. If those in the minority experience becoming a majority in their lifetime, perhaps they will then understand. It's also no different than middle-class whites not wanting to move into the trailer park, and that is what the OP was talking about with her children--safety and a change of culture. You don't have to agree with her. It was also pointed out by someone that cultures and societies have changed all throughout history. True.

You must be reading from the same science textbook as "whogo."

You're so tired of talking about race that you felt the need to talk about race in this thread? Your willpower is remarkable.

Now, can you tell me in what city there is "forced diversity?" What is the name of the program that enforces diversity in neighborhoods?

Old 09-08-2012, 05:45 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
As a white person, I think I have the right to ask this: Why are white people such tremendous, trembling, overly sensitive, blubbering whiners? As I think about all the members of minority groups who have been either the one or one of the few who have had to live in the overwhelmingly white places I have lived, not a one ever shuddered in fear because they were grossly outnumbered. What amazing people they all were. With all the white prejudice that is fairly common in those rural areas, they didn't whine, they didn't hold their heads, they didn't run away. I certainly woud have.
I agree with you. I am black and have been a minority in MANY situations as have my children. Today I took my daughter to her first soccer game and she was the only black kid on the team. Me and my kids were the only black people there period.

Stuff like that is no big deal to me. But maybe because I don't see anyone as something to be scared of just because they don't look like me I agree with the words below, especially the bolded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unounehana View Post
I've always been an outsider racially and always will. I find it odd how people will not look beyond race and try to find commonalities. As I'm typing, I'm at Narita Airport waiting for a flight to Seoul. I just got done speaking with an elderly Korean couple whose son is moving to the Middle East, where I was born. Later, I spoke French with a Vietnamese man from Boston. We both spoke about French colonization in our respective parts of the world. There are more similarities than differences in people.

I feel we always forget we're all human. We all have the same emotions and a lot of the same things make us universally happy, sad or mad. I think threads like these make us focus more on differences than on similarities.

With that said, it's okay if living in diverse areas or areas where you're the minority is out of your comfort zone. Totally acceptable. Not everyone wants to be the odd one out. I personally find it odd, because I've always been the "odd one", but maybe I would feel differently if I were in the majority. Just as long as you accept people as who they are, assuming that they aren't harming others, and try to treat people as you would like to be treated.

Yes, it's trite advice, but it kind of rings true.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:59 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
Quote:
You must be reading from the same science textbook as "whogo."

You're so tired of talking about race that you felt the need to talk about race in this thread? Your willpower is remarkable.

Now, can you tell me in what city there is "forced diversity?" What is the name of the program that enforces diversity in neighborhoods?
My point is that wanting to be around your own kind is not inherently racist. It's pushing for groups to interact when it goes counter to what they may want. It was mentioned in the thread that there was a worry that the OP's children would be excluded from certain activities due to the situation. If Asian kids don't want to include the OP's children, they don't have to, and the reason she is contemplating moving.

The OP's quandry doesn't fall under these definitions of racist:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racist?s=t

1) Superiority due to race...

2) abusive or aggressive behavior...

She is worried about inferiority and exclusion. It's people that throw around the concept of racist willy-nilly that do more harm than good to discussions such as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies