Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times

Advertisements

Simultaneously humorous and tragic:

Idiocracy - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 PM

419 posts, read 466,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Where did I say that it was the babies fault? It's not my place to feed your child just because you are to stupid to use birth control.. I guess that some of you are having a hard time understanding so I will repete it again....It you breed it you feed it!!!! What is so hard to understand about that...

I raised mine without asking anyone to feed them, others should do the same or keep your legs crossed and your pants zipped up....what's so hard to understand about that?....
You really are being obstinate. If you hadn't raised your children, should we have all collectively let your children starve? Of course it's not our place, but if "we" don't do it - who will? You seem willing to toss these children away on a principle.

We were married for years and had a house before we had children. We raised them, took them to church, I spent hours involved with school activities, PTA, etc., spent thousands of dollars educating them, both have college degrees and are on their own. That's what I would want for every single child out there, but when an unlucky innocent baby is born to someone who is a crack addict, a 15 year old child, a mother with mental issues, I'm not that rigid that I begrudge that poor baby, whether it's with my tax dollars, through my church, etc.

Also pretty sure I made it clear that I do, in fact, totally and completely understand you.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Ok the kids aside, why should I have to pay for medical (and I'm talking after the baby's birth)for the mom or education for her or food for her? Why should I have to support an abled bodied person?

Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 PM

464 posts, read 479,449 times
Get rid of government programs for women and children.

Push abortion, vasectomy and sterilization.

Problem solved.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:51 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Ok the kids aside, why should I have to pay for medical (and I'm talking after the baby's birth)for the mom or education for her or food for her? Why should I have to support an abled bodied person?
The theory is that if you pay for her education one day she may be able to support the child herself, and gasp become a taxpayer instead of a taxpayer burden.. The theory is that you pay her food, housing, and medical so she can take care of the child. Notice I said theory. The problem is that she is so well taken care of that she can't match it on her potential single income. Now that we are paying cell phones and getting ready to pay internet what little incentive there was is gone.

Here is what I'd require if I were the single mother on public aid czar:
  • Mandatory drug testing with negative results. Don't want to be tested? Don't take the assistance.
  • Food stamps should be like WIC: you only get certain items. You want a choice? Earn the money.
  • Use a land line only. You don't have a job, you don't need a cell phone. Want a cell phone? You guessed it, earn the money.
  • Use the library internet.
  • Limits on time of free housing.
  • Limits on time for free utilities and a cap on usage.
  • Medical care for adults limited to prenatal care, emergencies, and use of public health clinics for other non-emergency stuff. If you use the ER when for things like colds you must volunteer at the hospital for the amount of time the non-emergency care took.
  • You must attend free parenting classes. Working or not. Don't want to attend? Don't take the "help."
  • Children have mandatory school attendance and non-working parents must volunteer at the school. Your child must preform to expectations at school or you have to work out a plan with the school that you are required to implement at home.
  • Non-working parents must have and meet work preparation goals.
Basically, you don't like any of the requirements? Get a job.

Oh, if your child/children has ADHD put them in full-time daycare and no SSI. If that means the government pays for the daycare, so be it. We need to end "crazy checks" immediately.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM

419 posts, read 466,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The theory is that if you pay for her education one day she may be able to support the child herself, and gasp become a taxpayer instead of a taxpayer burden.. The theory is that you pay her food, housing, and medical so she can take care of the child. Notice I said theory. The problem is that she is so well taken care of that she can't match it on her potential single income. Now that we are paying cell phones and getting ready to pay internet what little incentive there was is gone.

• Mandatory drug testing with negative results. Don't want to be tested? Don't take the assistance.
  • Food stamps should be like WIC: you only get certain items. You want a choice? Earn the money.
  • Use a land line only. You don't have a job, you don't need a cell phone. Want a cell phone? You guessed it, earn the money.
  • Medical care for adults limited to prenatal care, emergencies, and use of public health clinics for other non-emergency stuff. If you use the ER when for things like colds you must volunteer at the hospital for the amount of time the non-emergency care took.
  • You must attend free parenting classes. Working or not. Don't want to attend? Don't take the "help."
  • Children have mandatory school attendance and non-working parents must volunteer at the school. Your child must preform to expectations at school or you have to work out a plan with the school that you are required to implement at home.

Oh, if your child/children has ADHD put them in full-time daycare and no SSI. If that means the government pays for the daycare, so be it. We need to end "crazy checks" immediately.
Works for me - the only caveat, and something that I would change ---

A landline phone probably costs more than the cell phone. I know that you probably mean for the mom to find a lineline, but being a mom, I know how important it is to be able to have someone get hold of you immediately at times. If this mother's child gets sick at daycare, it's important that she have a cell phone readily available. That being said, I've found that most folks equate a cell phone to a $200 a month smart phone with all the gadgets. One can purchase a prepaid cell phone at WalMart for something like $10 and keep XX amount of minutes on it (enough to have for talking to your employer, checking on the babysitter, or anything else deemed important). Other than that, I think you're spot on.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Simultaneously humorous and tragic:

Idiocracy - YouTube
Dysgenic trends really shouldn't be a surprise. We already know for a fact that domesticated livestock end up losing intelligence over the generations. We have reached a level of societal complexity where we (first-world humanity) have basically domesticated ourselves. Why should we be any different?

Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

Agreed. I am big in believing that we make them work for the money we will see less taking it or those who truly need it will take it and have no problem working.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
So, you see no problem with the continuation of the cycle of unweds producing more unweds,....and all on taxpayers' dime?
Where are the fathers? Women and the state are saddled with the entire responsibility. A real man who fathered a child out of wedlock would support that child regardless of his relationship with the mother. He would marry her, or provide IMO at least half of the support until the child is 18- voluntarily. Men, as well as women, have failed both before (not using birth control) and after the fact. The children suffer.

Everyone seems to forget about the man's responsibility. It takes two to tango and men have failed miserably at supporting their children in a large percentage of instances.

Quote:
Many men have changed their attitudes regarding the responsibility for unplanned pregnancies. As one contributor to the Internet wrote recently to the Dads' Rights Newsgroup, "Since the decision to have the child is solely up to the mother, I don't see how both parents have responsibility to that child." That attitude, of course, makes it far less likely that the man will offer marriage as a solution to a couple's pregnancy quandary, leaving the mother either to raise the child or to give it up for adoption......

...... It should be remembered that the proper care and nourishment of children should be the first goal of our society.

It has been suggested that measures should be taken to make fathers pay for the support of their out-of-wedlock children. While probably difficult to enforce, such measures give the correct incentives. They will make men pause before fathering such children and they will at least slightly change the terms between fathers and mothers. Such measures deserve serious consideration.

An Analysis of Out-Of-Wedlock Births in the United States | Brookings Institution

Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 PM

I believe the men should be involved but I also think both need to be more careful. I am strongly anti unwed parenthood and have told every man I dated I would expect him to marry me. This scares away many guys but then I know before we sleep together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies