Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 09:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
and this is something I continue to tell you guys, you people overestimate the goodwill of this country. There are not enough people in this country, charities, churches and private organizations that can support all the people who are in need. You guys seem to be under this impression that we as a country are going to magically come together in a free market society and take care of all the poor and sick.
nighttrain, what percentage of your income do you personally give to charity, and how many hours per week do you volunteer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
you guys don't do yourself any favors by stating that both parties are destroying america, and that you are the smart ones and insult most people by saying they are brainwashed, and mindless sheep to a two-party system.

Explain to me where we're wrong! We have programs on tv that serve nothing but in completely dumbing down society! The lamestream media sensationalizes everything! Had the pleasure last night in flipping through the channels and came across Faux News and it was like watching a Jerry Springer Show. They were debating the recent events in Libya and Egypt! The participants instead taking turns in the proper way of having a debate where I talk, then you offer a rebuttal was completely absent, and it was nothing but trying to one up, or out shout each other. After 5 minutes I changed the channel, as I thought that my head was going to explode watching it! Social interaction has gone down, because people would rather text, than actually have a normal conversation! If you try to strike up a conversation with a stranger, they look at you with this taken aback look like "why are you talking to me?" Both parties are knee deep in this crap in the Middle East under the guise of "humanitarian aide" and "spreading democracy" while the nanny state here continues to grow, and the government further butts into our personal lives telling us how to think, what we can eat, drink or smoke. Both parties continue to pander to the rich fat cat banksters who continue to sell America's middle class down the river!

Yeah, but we're the ones who are kooks?

3,417 posts, read 3,074,985 times
you guys cannot have a society that encourages free maket principles where only the strong survive on one hand, and then on the other side expect those same people to voluntarily give thier money away to help those in need.

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The official Libertarian Party platforms states that they desire a life without interference from government or ANY authoritarian power. That is the very definition of anarchy. So it would appear that Libertarians are nothing more than closet anarchists. .

Repeating this lie does not make it true, but you know that.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
nighttrain, what percentage of your income do you personally give to charity, and how many hours per week do you volunteer?
that irrelevant to this conversation becaue no matter how much give, its not helping everybody who is in need.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:12 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
you guys cannot have a society that encourages free maket principles where only the strong survive on one hand, and then on the other side expect those same people to voluntarily give thier money away to help those in need.
Private charity is a very fundamental principle in a true free market economy.

Quote:
that irrelevant to this conversation becaue no matter how much give, its not helping everybody who is in need.
Also, you have ignored my question twice so far. How much of your personal money and time do you personally give to the poor right now? What I am hearing is you want the government to provide for the poor with other people's money, but you refuse to give any of your own to help people in need? You sound pretty d*mn selfish to me.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
and this is something I continue to tell you guys, you people overestimate the goodwill of this country. There are not enough people in this country, charities, churches and private organizations that can support all the people who are in need. You guys seem to be under this impression that we as a country are going to magically come together in a free market society and take care of all the poor and sick.

Well maybe if the government got the hell out of the way of businesses trying to make a living, and maybe if they'd stop screwing around overseas then we'd be much better off! We are the 3rd most populous country in the world, and 4th in land mass! We have enough resources to take care of ourselves!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
I'm starting to realize that libertarians just want to live in world without rules. They keep making it seem like the government is preventing them from starting businesses or going to school, or buying a house etc. Please tell me what the government prevents you from doing?
You are joking, right? The government prevents us from doing hundreds of thousands of things.

Try opening a liquor store on Sunday. Or selling cars on Sunday. Or try selling flavored cigarettes. Or try growing some weed in your back yard. Or try to keep your bar open past 2 AM in many places.

The list is endless.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And I think you people underestimate the goodwill of the people and underestimate the waste and fraud of government sponsored welfare.

Americans give over $300 billion every year which is more than the government spends on welfare for the poor.
I think people will pitch in, just not enough to help all those in need.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You are joking, right? The government prevents us from doing hundreds of thousands of things.

Try opening a liquor store on Sunday. Or selling cars on Sunday. Or try selling flavored cigarettes. Or try growing some weed in your back yard. Or try to keep your bar open past 2 AM in many places.

The list is endless.
no, those are just called rules, which brings me back to my point that libertarians just don't want rules at all. There is nothing that stops you from opening a liquor store, or selling cars, or cigarettes, or opening a bar, ya'll just don't like rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies