Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,361 times

Advertisements

I enrolled my daughter in a CPS school last year. I was lucky enough to get her into a magnet school, which theoretically is better than neighborhood schools. After a couple of months we realized the school sucked and pulled her out. Her teacher was great, but the school administration, which is non union, was horrendous.

The staff is overworked and demoralized. The school looks drab, reminds me of a school in the former Soviet Union. The school is extremely disorganized and doesn't seem to have clear policies. The administration doesn't want to hear any suggestions for improvement. There was very little parental participation.

You could have a great teacher in each class, if the administration and students suck, it won't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
Sounds like the CPS is basically a daycare.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:43 PM

537 posts, read 818,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I enrolled my daughter in a CPS school last year. I was lucky enough to get her into a magnet school, which theoretically is better than neighborhood schools. After a couple of months we realized the school sucked and pulled her out. Her teacher was great, but the school administration, which is non union, was horrendous.

The staff is overworked and demoralized. The school looks drab, reminds me of a school in the former Soviet Union. The school is extremely disorganized and doesn't seem to have clear policies. The administration doesn't want to hear any suggestions for improvement. There was very little parental participation.

You could have a great teacher in each class, if the administration and students suck, it won't matter.
I think the reason for this is because they're is almost no investment in our education system these days. With most of the government money being spent on either war, health care reform, or subsidizing big businesses, the really important things have suffered. It doesn't help that the unions are being scapegoated for the problems in our public schools.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrehm View Post
I think the reason for this is because they're is almost no investment in our education system these days. With most of the government money being spent on either war, health care reform, or subsidizing big businesses, the really important things have suffered. It doesn't help that the unions are being scapegoated for the problems in our public schools.
Schools are local investments, not FED investments.

If the people want a better school all they need to do is pay more property taxes to their local government.
Chicago teachers want a 30% raise, cut their class sizes in half and don't touch their benefits. That's all.
So the citizens of Chicago need to belly up to better the school system. These teachers on strike say they are doing it "for the kids".

Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 PM

30,059 posts, read 18,655,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

............... of course, courtesy of liberal policies which promote single parent families and a welfare dependent state. In lock step with the wishes of the Frankfurt School, which was charged with the destruction of western society, liberals have supported policy which has promoted-

destruction of the family
destruction of the middle class
destruction of the church

Congratulations! In Chicago, you have achieved your goals. You have created a crappy, dependent class of non productive citizens. Liberalism has succeeded in Chicago. Let us hope that it does not infect the rest of productive America. Chicago, like Detroit, is already doomed.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:40 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
When expectations are mandated low what do you expect from teachers and administration?

BTW, was the OP a dig hinting that a union administration would have been better?

Quote:
Her teacher was great, but the school administration, which is non union, was horrendous.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sounds like the CPS is basically a daycare.
A very very very costly daycare with extremely well paid day care attendants.

Sure blame the students and the parents -- but no one is paying them $75,000 a year with lavish vacation time and short work days to teach.

When only 15% of 4th graders have learned how to read, you kmow they're the kids who learned how to read at home.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,653 times
Plenty of money is poured into your school system....problem is, where is it going? 71% of the money goes to.....drum roll please.....teacher pensions!!! So, 71 cents on the dollar goes to pay their pensions...not enough left to cover their programs.....cut thepensions back, fire non-performing teachers, cut out the lunches, breakfast,etc and make parents account or take THOSE parents subsidies away. They may be poor but I doubt stupid as they have figured out every set aside known to man.

Want a raise? Great, earn it like the rest of us. If you suck as a teacher while providing mediocre babysitting services, how much is that worth? The average teacher salary in Chicago is 75k for 10months worth of work....not bad.....it's not too much for those who pay your salaries to do some work....don't like it? Quit. Oh wait, can't do that.....it's all about the children...at least 29 cents of every dollar anyway......you and GM are made for each other....while they are a pension company that makes mediocre cars part time, the teachers appear to be a pension company that provides mediocre daycare services and teach part time.....fine line granted....

Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
Looks like this link points it's fingers at the progressive liberal marxists who run the Chicago school system....

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-children.html

Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Plenty of money is poured into your school system....problem is, where is it going? 71% of the money goes to.....drum roll please.....teacher pensions!!! So, 71 cents on the dollar goes to pay their pensions...not enough left to cover their programs.....cut thepensions back, fire non-performing teachers, cut out the lunches, breakfast,etc and make parents account or take THOSE parents subsidies away. They may be poor but I doubt stupid as they have figured out every set aside known to man.

Want a raise? Great, earn it like the rest of us. If you suck as a teacher while providing mediocre babysitting services, how much is that worth? The average teacher salary in Chicago is 75k for 10months worth of work....not bad.....it's not too much for those who pay your salaries to do some work....don't like it? Quit. Oh wait, can't do that.....it's all about the children...at least 29 cents of every dollar anyway......you and GM are made for each other....while they are a pension company that makes mediocre cars part time, the teachers appear to be a pension company that provides mediocre daycare services and teach part time.....fine line granted....
Lots of WIN in this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies