Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:14 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Obviously you were not clear enough what you meant to say, maybe you should give it another try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Oh, and by the way, it's not just my opinion. It has been discussed by many people over the years. This has been pretty well documented. See ""Ancient History": U.S. Conduct in the Middle East Since World War II and the Folly of Intervention". So, as Ron Paul has asserted, we've had our nose in others businesses for a long time, and Obama thought his way of intervening was more enlightened. As current events have shown, his policies of appeasement and helping people who we apparently know nothing about have made things worse.
Quote:
...To Obama's credit, he inherited a LOT of failed policies over the years, but Obama has made things worse, and what we see today is a result of what he did. As I've just typed, you would not have to sit there and deliberate on how to fix a problem if you didn't inflame the problem in the first place.

We shouldn't be trying to fix a problem we don't understand, and may actually not be able to be fixed.
Quote:
Some say this is a return to 1979. I'm not a fan of Jimmy Carter. Carter had his problems with Iran, but he inherited policies that were brewing over decades before him. At least Jimmy Carter brought Israel and Egypt together. Obama's foreign policies in of itself led to chaos.
To summarize, intervention, even if the person thinks they may know the area, may have unintended consequences. Sorry your reading comprehension isn't up to speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Why is everyone acting like this is the first time there have been widespread riots in the Middle East? My God, these images look like reruns of videos I have seen throughout my entire life. Has Obama been influencing our politics for that long? No.
Every POTUS has dealt with unrest and riots over there, and this will continue until we get the h*ll out of there. The anti-American sentiment over there was not caused by Obama. It has been generations in the making and will continue for generations to come.
I personally never suggested (and in fact pointed this out in many of my posts) that Obama didn't start the whole Middle East thing, but his Libyan and Syrian intervention + drone attacks have inflamed the situation much. And Obama's Middle East policy is what we are currently talking about.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:28 PM

My bad on the wording of my previous post, I've edited it.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:29 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
The only way to win the Arab world over is through manly respect and tough honest dialogue. A while back and I don't recall the name..but America sent an openly gay man to Iraq to help negotiate...That would be considered an insult to these guys...or sending a woman...such a Hilary....not being sexist personally- but that was not wise- Hilary should have been told to stand down 99% of the time when it comes to dealing with the middle east..Unless you are a Golda Myer..which she is not.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The only way to win the Arab world over is through manly respect and tough honest dialogue. A while back and I don't recall the name..but America sent an openly gay man to Iraq to help negotiate...That would be considered an insult to these guys...or sending a woman...such a Hilary....not being sexist personally- but that was not wise- Hilary should have been told to stand down 99% of the time when it comes to dealing with the middle east..Unless you are a Golda Myer..which she is not.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've thought the same thing many times before.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,678 times
Quote:
I personally never suggested (and in fact pointed this out in many of my posts) that Obama didn't start the whole Middle East thing, but his Libyan and Syrian intervention + drone attacks have inflamed the situation much. And Obama's Middle East policy is what we are currently talking about.
So let me get this straight. Helping Middle Eastern nations move out from under tyranny and cruel dictators and move towards democracy is a bad thing for America to stand for?

Using drones to hunt down and specifically target terrorists is not a better way of doing that than sending troops in and causing massive damage to infrastructure and the lives of many innocent civilians?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 PM

398 posts, read 819,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Obviously you were not clear enough what you meant to say, maybe you should give it another try.
ahh, quoting the president . That is exactly what President Obama said recently. About himself.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:43 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
I particularly like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Three years after Obama's speech in Cairo, which was supposed to initiate a new beginning in the Middle East, the United States now has even less support in the region than before.

That's not a failure of this president. Instead, it is the consequences of an American foreign policy that for decades favored power over democracy, and a hard line over human rights -- and which will suffer from a credibility problem for a long time for precisely those reasons."

"Mitt Romney has, however, failed to recognize the very core of the American dilemma. He attacked Obama with twisted facts shortly after the announcement of the death of the US ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens. He claimed that the US government had sympathized with the attackers in Benghazi. But not only was that factually wrong, it also demonstrated an alarmingly high level of foreign policy incompetence to his own party. None of this would matter, except that Romney wants Obama's job -- and might even get it on Nov. 6."

"The West must be tough on terrorism. And it must show that it can differentiate between rabble-rousers and peaceful Muslims."

German Press Review on Middle East Violence against US Embassies - SPIEGEL ONLINE
To the neocons, rabble-rousers and peaceful Muslims are one and the same.

Had I my druthers, better Saddam, Ghaddafi, Arafat were still in power. We should have stayed the h*ll out of the Middle East. Got a crippled Afghan war vet in my family. War is not an insignificant thing. Romney has five sons - why weren't they in Bush's Iraq war?

Criminal to have stirred the pot in that insane region. No surprise a volcano has been awakened which will continue to erupt for the next 20 years.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 PM

398 posts, read 819,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I particularly like this:

To the neocons, rabble-rousers and peaceful Muslims are one and the same.

Had I my druthers, better Saddam, Ghaddafi, Arafat were still in power. We should have stayed the hell out of the Middle East. Got a crippled Afghan war vet in my family. War is not an insignificant thing. Romney has five sons - why weren't they in Bush's Iraq war?

Criminal to have stirred the pot in that insane region. But, considering the brains behind it, no surprise a volcano has been awakened which will continue for the 20 years.
Yes, when the World Trade Towers came down, it awakened a giant volcano.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:50 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badland wonder View Post
Yes, when the World Trade Towers came down, it awakened a giant volcano.
That had nothing to do with Iraq. Saudi's attacked the Towers. Using your logic, we should have attacked Saudi Arabia, not Iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies