Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should U.S. road signs be bi-trilingual?
No - English only (Like current) 149 84.18%
Yes, English and Spanish 7 3.95%
Yes, English and French 1 0.56%
Yes - English, French and Spanish 2 1.13%
English, + Include French / Spanish near the border 18 10.17%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times

Advertisements

Road signs are really just a matter of general road safety - they have little to do with national pride. Thus, wouldn't it serve everybody if signs were bilingual in those areas that tend to see a lot of foreign traffic?

Even better, how about getting of our high oh-we-are-so-individual horse and completely convert to international standards - that way, none of that would really be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 06:34 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
I say a big NO!!! Then what do you do when you have other communities wanting their language on signage?

Tourists rarely drive, so road signs aren't an issue for them. If they go to big cities should street signs and transporation signs be multi-lingual as well? Tourists who can't speak English seem to get around quite well. In NYC they show you were they want to go, pointing to their travel map or a picture and you point, wave your hand in a direction, hold up fingers and then hope they get there.

Here is a sample of how a "No Parking" would look like, taking some of the foreign languages widely spoken in the US.

ningún aparcamiento
ممنوع الوقوف
不准停车
कोई पार्किंग
никакая стоянка
پارکنگ نہیں
aucun parking
garaj pa
no parking

Old 09-15-2012, 06:36 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
There would be absolutely no need to have signs in Spanish close to the border on the U.S. side because these days the people that would benefit the most from that are only going one direction, and it ain't towards Mexico.
I don't think it really works that way. The vast majority of cross-border traffic has nothing to do with illegal immigration.

Case in point - a few years back (when it was safe,) I was part of a mission trip to build houses in the Juarez, Mexico area. Being Americans, we stayed across the borders in El Paso. Well, we had construction help from some Mexicans who lived in the area, but they would cross the border to the U.S. to buy construction supplies and bring them back to Mexico.

Still, I don't really think it's necessary to have road signs in another language, since I'm not really sure it serves any purpose. If I see a stop sign that says "Alto," I know it's a stop sign. It works the other way too.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I say a big NO!!! Then what do you do when you have other communities wanting their language on signage?

Tourists rarely drive, so road signs aren't an issue for them. If they go to big cities should street signs and transporation signs be multi-lingual as well? Tourists who can't speak English seem to get around quite well. In NYC they show you were they want to go, pointing to their travel map or a picture and you point, wave your hand in a direction, hold up fingers and then hope they get there.

Here is a sample of how a "No Parking" would look like, taking some of the foreign languages widely spoken in the US.

ningún aparcamiento
ممنوع الوقوف
不准停车
कोई पार्किंग
никакая стоянка
پارکنگ نہیں
aucun parking
garaj pa
no parking
Is there something wrong with the sign with a large "P" and a cross over it? It is the international "no parking" sign.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:15 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,085 times
Bilingual!? Speak English or get the F*&k out!!!!!

Old 09-15-2012, 07:24 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
For everyone who is saying no, if the new signs don't cost any more, what logical reason do you have to not want a bilingual sign?

I am not trying to start a fight, I just honestly don't see a good reason not to throw a few more languages on a sign.
Have you ever been on a multi interchange highway and seen directional signs all over the place? Just imagine the same signs in 2 or more languages.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 AM

635 posts, read 539,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Is there something wrong with the sign with a large "P" and a cross over it? It is the international "no parking" sign.
No, but that's not what the question asked.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:32 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I don't think it really works that way. The vast majority of cross-border traffic has nothing to do with illegal immigration.

Case in point - a few years back (when it was safe,) I was part of a mission trip to build houses in the Juarez, Mexico area. Being Americans, we stayed across the borders in El Paso. Well, we had construction help from some Mexicans who lived in the area, but they would cross the border to the U.S. to buy construction supplies and bring them back to Mexico.

Still, I don't really think it's necessary to have road signs in another language, since I'm not really sure it serves any purpose. If I see a stop sign that says "Alto," I know it's a stop sign. It works the other way too.
What's weird is "Stop" signs in France and Spain use the word "Stop", NOT French of Spanish words.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
For everyone who is saying no, if the new signs don't cost any more, what logical reason do you have to not want a bilingual sign?

I am not trying to start a fight, I just honestly don't see a good reason not to throw a few more languages on a sign.
Because it's an inroad to additional changes in that direction which I would find repugnant. If they want to get along they can do what I did in the three other coutries in which I've lived, learn OUR language. It's a matter of respect for our sovreignty.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
No, but that's not what the question asked.
It is the answer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies