Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:37 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times

Advertisements

Maybe while we're discussing 1990's politics we can start up a thread on how Newt Gingrich left Congress in disgrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 07:41 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If you respect women so much, why aren't you giving us any credit here? We aren't all one-issue voters, and I highly doubt this "war on women" has sent previously-Republican women running to vote Obama. C'mon now! I care about waaaay more than women's health issues, and still have never wanted to vote Republican... I'm not really a Democrat either, but vote that way if no third-party candidate seems viable.

We have brains, and most of us are quite capable of using them to consider the big picture. Sorry if we disagree with you, but that doesn't mean we are being duped. I could say the same about Republicans, but unlike you, I'm able to accept that different opinions aren't necessary wrong or stupid - they're just different.
Gizmo, I do give women credit. You are obviously a smart woman. Thinking differently than me is your right. I have no problem with it.

I do take issue with distortion of the truth. I believe that some women who are not as savvy as you could be duped. That's not fair to them.

I know that many women are not single issue voters. But many are. That scares me because more important issues take a back seat. That hardly helps America in areas where America needs help the most.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Maybe while we're discussing 1990's politics we can start up a thread on how Newt Gingrich left Congress in disgrace.

Go ahead. Start one.

Nancy Pelosi is a disgrace, and she's still there. Start a thread on that too.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:55 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not at all but the argument was that rape is rape. Seems you are agreeing that it isn't.
Yep, and I never claimed otherwise. Now if a women IS proven to have been raped, that is rape. Duh. But some cases do exist where men are falsely accused, hence it not being defined as legal rape - and I also consider statutory rape to be different from forced/violent assaults. Makes sense, right?

Quote:
Should I not be able to expect something similar if I am being asked to pay for an abortion because of rape? As you note, people will make false accusations.
Do you often pay for women's abortions? Planned Parenthood isn't federally-funded, btw, and some women even pay for their abortions through private practices... not every unwillingly pregnant woman is on welfare, ya know. IIRC abortion is actually more common among the middle & upper classes, whereas teen & single parenting is more common in the less fortunate (especially religious/conservative) demographics. Sociology 101.

A woman shouldn't have to justify WHY she's having an abortion, anyway, seeing as it's currently a legal practice. Conservatives just want to shame women who have them, making them feel like "it's only okay if you were violently raped, or if your life is in danger" - and even in those cases, some folks on the extreme right say they should be forced to carry. If we did pass some laws restricting abortion to rape victims, I bet you'd see a HUGE jump in false accusations & claims.

Quote:
The current administration supports legislation that calls for equal pay for women but then pays them less. I believe actions are also important.
I'd need more information to comment on that... and considering I'm in a female-dominated profession, which has historically paid less than male-equivalent professions, you'll have a hard time convincing me ANY administration has focused on that issue. Again I will remind you, I am not a Democrat.

P.S. I was recently discussing this with a male co-worker, and he completely agreed with me. In his words, "I knew I was choosing a life of poverty when I went into this (female-dominated) field."

Quote:
Serious? You believe informing women of their options is conducting a war on them? Do you realize that the vast majority of women undergoing an abortion also undergo an ultrasound already?

http://lifenews.wpengine.netdna-cdn....soundstudy.pdf
I never said anything about "informing women of their options," which has always been done in the case of Planned Parenthood... I said forcing misinformation, like these false "fact sheets" claiming abortions are linked to breast cancer. Did you read that one article, about the woman in Texas? They cover that issue pretty clearly in there.

As for the ultrasounds, I don't believe it's ever been FORCED by state laws until now. Those are new laws being introduced, and Republicans are the ones doing the proposals.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-15-2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Gizmo, I do give women credit. You are obviously a smart woman. Thinking differently than me is your right. I have no problem with it.

I do take issue with distortion of the truth. I believe that some women who are not as savvy as you could be duped. That's not fair to them.

I know that many women are not single issue voters. But many are. That scares me because more important issues take a back seat. That hardly helps America in areas where America needs help the most.
Appreciate that, but if you ask any hardcore Democrat, they will say the same about Republican voters & politicians. What's that old joke again? "How can you tell if a politician is lying? Check to see if their lips are moving."

So I guess we just hope the stupid people are equally distributed, and the more informed voters are also distributed enough to balance things... this is also why I dislike our two-party system, since people like me (who don't really fit on either side) usually have to compromise either way. We're forced to take the good with the bad, if you know what I mean.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Do you often pay for women's abortions? Planned Parenthood isn't federally-funded, btw, and some women even pay for their abortions through private practices... not every unwillingly pregnant woman is on welfare, ya know. IIRC abortion is actually more common among the middle & upper classes, whereas teen & single parenting is more common in the less fortunate (especially religious/conservative) demographics. Sociology 101.
The recent arguments concerning rape being rape was over the argument that we should be financing abortions for this reason.

Quote:
A woman shouldn't have to justify WHY she's having an abortion, anyway, seeing as it's currently a legal practice. Conservatives just want to shame women who have them, making them feel like "it's only okay if you were violently raped, or if your life is in danger" - and even in those cases, some folks on the extreme right say they should be forced to carry. If we did pass some laws restricting abortion to rape victims, I bet you'd see a HUGE jump in false accusations & claims.
Which is the argument concerning financing them. But to note that is somehow an attack on women. You seem to agree that some will make false accusations.

Quote:
I'd need more information to comment on that... and considering I'm in a female-dominated profession, which has historically paid less than male-equivalent professions, you'll have a hard time convincing me ANY administration has focused on that issue. Again I will remind you, I am not a Democrat.

P.S. I was just discussing that issue with a male co-worker recently, and he completely agreed with me. In his words, "I knew I was choosing a life of poverty when I went into this female-dominated field."
The argument wasn't one of what party you belong to but rather that actions are as important as simple words.

Women paid significantly less in Obama White House than their male counterparts | Mail Online

Quote:
I never said anything about "informing women of their options," which has always been done in the case of Planned Parenthood... I said forcing misinformation, like these false "fact sheets" claiming abortions are linked to breast cancer. Did you read that one article, about the woman in Texas? They cover that issue pretty clearly in there.

As for the ultrasounds, I don't believe it's ever been FORCED by state laws until now. Those are new laws being introduced, and Republicans are the ones doing the proposals.
So you have a problem with something being forced that is routinely done anyways? Wouldn't the "forced" part be a bit redundant?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:10 AM

On another note, my wife is very Conservative. No one forced her to be. She has made up her own mind about things.

How can women be so different from one another? Same issues .. different analyses of them.

I believe that she has been able to stand back from all the political crap talk and look at it all from a distance. She was able to then focus on what matters to her. She can smell a rat from a mile away. And she doesn't allow the media to make up her mind for her.

If there is a war on women, what are women to do?

Live their lives feeling like they are oppressed (because Democrats have created this sense in their minds) or get on with life and realize that it ain't that bad?

Not all women are burdened with what is put forth in the Democratic Party's platform. If a woman is happy in her own skin, then why try to tell her that if she really wants to feel complete, that she must join the fight for a freedom that already exists? When she knows all along that Republicans will not interfere in her life. In fact, Republican policies empower my wife. She has control of her destiny. Shouldn't all women feel this way?

It's all very annoying. The noise from the Left.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:17 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Gizmo, I do give women credit. You are obviously a smart woman. Thinking differently than me is your right. I have no problem with it. """"

Oh, YOUR approval!!....now all the little wimmens in here will be wiggling with delight

""""I do take issue with distortion of the truth. I believe that some women who are not as savvy as you could be duped. That's not fair to them.

Sexism (bolded in black above) shows total and complete lack of RESPECT for women.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Appreciate that, but if you ask any hardcore Democrat, they will say the same about Republican voters & politicians. What's that old joke again? "How can you tell if a politician is lying? Check to see if their lips are moving."

So I guess we just hope the stupid people are equally distributed, and the more informed voters are also distributed enough to balance things... this is also why I dislike our two-party system, since people like me (who don't really fit on either side) usually have to compromise either way. We're forced to take the good with the bad, if you know what I mean.
I know what you mean.

Under the current circumstances, I feel obligated to vote for the lesser of two evils.

It is still my duty to do what I can to make America a better place. From my perspective.

I figure that you will be able to determine which direction I'm leaning.

Our economy has got to get going. We can't wait another 4 years. Really.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The recent arguments concerning rape being rape was over the argument that we should be financing abortions for this reason.
Well, I never commented on that specifically - and quite frankly, it's a discussion that would best be saved for a separate thread (as it would be a lengthy one).

Did Obama himself (or the Democrats) set those wages? And I think this is an important point to consider: "Some analysts have framed these disparities as an indication that Obama had fewer women in high-earning positions of authority than McCain did." So I'd have to see a breakdown of their specific jobs, and how many women vs men hold these jobs, before I can say if it's actually true.

Regardless, as long as they're working towards nationwide (not just White House executives') equal pay for equal jobs, that is a step in the right direction!

Quote:
So you have a problem with something being forced that is routinely done anyways? Wouldn't the "forced" part be a bit redundant?
Yes to the first question, no to the second. There's a big difference between "routine" and "forced," as only the former gives the legal option to opt out of this procedure. It's also routine to do pregnancy tests at annual OB/GYN exams, but I have opted out of them more than once (since a positive result would have meant we'd witnessed a miracle ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies