Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times

Advertisements

You see guys,the reason they can't speak Tagalog in breakrooms is because of a law called HIPAA.
Yes,they do talk about patients in hallways.

How would you feel as a patient if you heard 2 nurses outside your door in the hallway next to your room?
It would give the pt the impression they were talking about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:08 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
If your godforesaken ancestors didnt like Native Indian Language, then why didnt they frikking go back to europe? this is not an all inclusive english only thing anymore. Get over it!
If it were'nt for these competent Filipino nurses, your hospitals will be closing left right & center due to incompetent nurses and SUE happy society. Get it??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Yes, I only want Filipina nurses. Why is it ridiculous to want the person you know will actually care for you in a proper and professional manner each time, every time?
I'm sorry,but that IS racist,no matter how you slice it.

If I said I only want white nurses,everyone would call me a racist.
Say you want Filipina nurses,and you get reps.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You see guys,the reason they can't speak Tagalog in breakrooms is because of a law called HIPAA.
Yes,they do talk about patients in hallways.

How would you feel as a patient if you heard 2 nurses outside your door in the hallway next to your room?
It would give the pt the impression they were talking about them.
Yes -- and they feel they should be exempt.

Here it's Spanish that is used in the workplace and many things -- both racist and sexist are said in the workplace because they say them in Spanish - all the vulgar words, and they will talk about other employees and customers, and patients -- assuming no one knows what they're saying.

These nurses should be required to know enough English to get by -- and if they could learn English, they wouldn't have to be speaking some other language.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
A group of Filipino nurses who claimed they were mocked for their accents and ordered to speak "English only" won a nearly $1-million settlement against a Central California hospital where bosses and co-workers were allegedly urged to eavesdrop on the immigrant workers.
The $975,000 settlement, announced Monday by lawyers from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, is believed to be the largest language discrimination settlement in the U.S. healthcare industry, according to the Asian Pacific American Legal Center.

Filipino nurses win language discrimination settlement - latimes.com
That is so wrong. They should speak ONE language in the workplace. If the employee cannot or will not comply, then he/she should be terminated.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Bingo!

I haven't lived overseas, but have traveled extensively in foreign countries - and not only are Americans guilty of this, we actually have a reputation for being the WORST about it. I try my best not to be that person while traveling, and as a result, have often been pegged as Canadian or British instead. Must admit, I've never corrected them when misidentified. So yeah, some people here really need to get off that pedestal already.

Btw, have you guys ever watched the show House Hunters International? The American buyers are almost always revolting, from their complaints over "tiny outdated kitchens" (in places like Hong Kong, Sarajevo, etc), to the condescending manner in which they speak ENGLISH to the locals. Not to mention, they're almost always shown hanging out with English-speaking "ex-pats" at the end. Watch it sometime, if you want to see just how respectful and willing to assimilate we can be.

LOL...LOVE House Hunters and, in particular, International. I thought they'd never show an episode filmed in Tokyo, but FINALLY, they did. I grew up in Tokyo, so I understand that living quarters are small and quite different from the US. But I guess a person who has never experienced anything different would be a little taken aback; hence, all the comments. I've been fortunate to have experienced two different cultures. I am a lot more open and tolerant of cultural differences. It sounds like you've had the same experiences, you "British-Canadian". Global traveling definitely can open up one's eyes.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:13 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
[quote=jerseygal4u;26253448]If it weren't for these competent Filipino nurses,we wouldn't have so many lawsuits

Love how everyone makes them out to be so "sweet" and caring.
I'm a nurse and let me tell you,ITS isn't true.
They are wolves in sheeps clothing.[/quote]

I cherish diversity oh-so much....yes truly. But a ******** ***** will NOT be my nurse....period! Snide and arrogant comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies