Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:51 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Why are you assuming they came in solely to work? Most of the Filipino immigrants I know have been here for ages, and usually go to school after settling here... so are you saying Filipinos in general shouldn't be allowed to emigrate, or that they shouldn't be let into nursing schools?

P.S. My best friend is a (non-Filipino) nurse, and has never had a problem finding work.
Check with RN's graduating from college. They are having a very hard time finding work. There are still agencies bringing in Nurses from the Philippines despite the fact that many new RN's can't get hired. That is not fair to these new RN's.

I'm saying Nurses from the Philippines should not be allowed to come here under the Nursing quota and that quota should be eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:28 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,306 times
Speaking any other language that is not english is only rude if the other people tries to listened to conversations not directed to them. And as much rude as it is , it is not illegal

The eeoc is only enforcing the law and good for them.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:21 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
To whomever left me the anonymous rep point, I just have one question - what exactly is a "pure and clean" American? Does that mean white only, or just anyone who was born in the US? And what about those who immigrated at a young age, have full citizenship, and attended schools here? Are they considered pure & clean Americans?

I would ask these questions privately, but you didn't leave your name!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Do you only want a Filipino nurse? What a ridiculous post.
Yes, I only want Filipina nurses. Why is it ridiculous to want the person you know will actually care for you in a proper and professional manner each time, every time?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
To whomever left me the anonymous rep point, I just have one question - what exactly is a "pure and clean" American? Does that mean white only, or just anyone who was born in the US? And what about those who immigrated at a young age, have full citizenship, and attended schools here? Are they considered pure & clean Americans?

I would ask these questions privately, but you didn't leave your name!
I got one of those too. Actually a couple with nice racial overtones.!!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
Speaking any other language that is not english is only rude if the other people tries to listened to conversations not directed to them. And as much rude as it is , it is not illegal

The eeoc is only enforcing the law and good for them.
Omg, YES.

Nosey Roseys need to mind their own business and stop trying to eavesdrop on private conversations that are held in the breakroom...regardless of the language spoken.

I lived in Japan for 16 years, and you wouldn't believe the number of Americans who behaved as if they expected Japanese people to understand English. There are no Quarter Pounders on the McDonald's menu in Japan, yet some Americans would insist....as if saying "Quuuuarter Pouuunder" slowly would not only make them understand, but also make the item miraculously appear on the menu.

So we, Americans, are "guilty" of the same....using our language in other countries. So please stop with the holier than thou attitudes.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Omg, YES.

Nosey Roseys need to mind their own business and stop trying to eavesdrop on private conversations that are held in the breakroom...regardless of the language spoken.

I lived in Japan for 16 years, and you wouldn't believe the number of Americans who behaved as if they expected Japanese people to understand English. There are no Quarter Pounders on the McDonald's menu in Japan, yet some Americans would insist....as if saying "Quuuuarter Pouuunder" slowly would not only make them understand, but also make the item miraculously appear on the menu.

So we, Americans, are "guilty" of the same....using our language in other countries. So please stop with the holier than thou attitudes.
Bingo!

I haven't lived overseas, but have traveled extensively in foreign countries - and not only are Americans guilty of this, we actually have a reputation for being the WORST about it. I try my best not to be that person while traveling, and as a result, have often been pegged as Canadian or British instead. Must admit, I've never corrected them when misidentified. So yeah, some people here really need to get off that pedestal already.

Btw, have you guys ever watched the show House Hunters International? The American buyers are almost always revolting, from their complaints over "tiny outdated kitchens" (in places like Hong Kong, Sarajevo, etc), to the condescending manner in which they speak ENGLISH to the locals. Not to mention, they're almost always shown hanging out with English-speaking "ex-pats" at the end. Watch it sometime, if you want to see just how respectful and willing to assimilate we can be.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
I got one of those too. Actually a couple with nice racial overtones.!!
LOL... I'm not surprised they didn't answer my question, but pretty sure I know the answer anyway. Sad.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
After being married to a Filipina and knowing several dozen Filipinas most of whom work in the health industry, I can honestly say I will always pick a Filipina nurse to take care of me over any other nurse. You treat them with the respect their hard work and dedication deserves and they will do everything possible under the sun to make you better. If you got a filipina nurse that was rude to you it is probably due to the fact you were rude to them first. While I might not be an expert on all things Philippines, I can be considered one on how to treat a Filipina lady.
Well said, Tymberwulf. That's just the thing. I'm totally in favor of workers in America speaking English on the job. However, for Filipino nurses, I'm definitely willing to grant an exception. God bless 'em every one!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:03 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
If your godforesaken ancestors didnt like Native Indian Language, then why didnt they frikking go back to europe? this is not an all inclusive english only thing anymore. Get over it!
If it were'nt for these competent Filipino nurses, your hospitals will be closing left right & center due to incompetent nurses and SUE happy society. Get it??
If it weren't for these competent Filipino nurses,we wouldn't have so many lawsuits

Love how everyone makes them out to be so "sweet" and caring.
I'm a nurse and let me tell you,ITS isn't true.
They are wolves in sheeps clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies