Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:38 AM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If they don't like English, why don't they just stay in their country?
Really?? FYI: English is one of the (two) official languages of the Philippines.

Ethnologue report for Philippines

I've never met a Filipino who doesn't speak perfect English, and there are TONS around here (including one in my own family). They can speak the language just fine, but sometimes prefer to speak Filipino/Tagalog amongst themselves... so this isn't a matter of them refusing to learn English, but they can't help having an accent.

Quote:
They should speak English in the workplace. They should follow workplace policies especially in the hospital hallways.
While they're actually working and if those are hospital rules, then yes... but on their breaks? Are you telling me that if you worked in Germany, and had some fellow English-speaking co-workers, you'd all speak German together on breaks? Yeah right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
After being married to a Filipina and knowing several dozen Filipinas most of whom work in the health industry, I can honestly say I will always pick a Filipina nurse to take care of me over any other nurse. You treat them with the respect their hard work and dedication deserves and they will do everything possible under the sun to make you better. If you got a filipina nurse that was rude to you it is probably due to the fact you were rude to them first. While I might not be an expert on all things Philippines, I can be considered one on how to treat a Filipina lady.
I agree! It may not be "PC" for me to say, but Filipinas generally seem to be natural caretakers... I actually had a Filipina nanny growing up, and she was more maternal than my own mother.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 AM

831 posts, read 681,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If they don't like English, why don't they just stay in their country? They should speak English in the workplace. They should follow workplace policies especially in the hospital hallways.

If your godforesaken ancestors didnt like Native Indian Language, then why didnt they frikking go back to europe? this is not an all inclusive english only thing anymore. Get over it!
If it were'nt for these competent Filipino nurses, your hospitals will be closing left right & center due to incompetent nurses and SUE happy society. Get it??

Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 AM

831 posts, read 681,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Better solution.........they can stay in THEIR country. Come on, we can train our own nurses....can't we.

Why didnt you stay in your own country?..

Train your own nurses? LMAO... even if you do train em, they cant hack the pressure and burn out in 6months.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,918,093 times
Ya gotta be really paranoid to be woried about what peoople speaking another language are saying on their breaks.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:21 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,184,520 times
It is tough for a new RN to get a job. I wish these Nurses from the Philippines would not be allowed into this country.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 PM

22,673 posts, read 24,650,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
It is tough for a new RN to get a job. I wish these Nurses from the Philippines would not be allowed into this country.

YES, I am in FULL agreement!!!!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:10 PM

10,035 posts, read 9,523,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
After being married to a Filipina and knowing several dozen Filipinas most of whom work in the health industry, I can honestly say I will always pick a Filipina nurse to take care of me over any other nurse. You treat them with the respect their hard work and dedication deserves and they will do everything possible under the sun to make you better. If you got a filipina nurse that was rude to you it is probably due to the fact you were rude to them first. While I might not be an expert on all things Philippines, I can be considered one on how to treat a Filipina lady.
Do you only want a Filipino nurse? What a ridiculous post.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Why are you assuming they came in solely to work? Most of the Filipino immigrants I know have been here for ages, and usually go to school after settling here... so are you saying Filipinos in general shouldn't be allowed to emigrate, or that they shouldn't be let into nursing schools?

P.S. My best friend is a (non-Filipino) nurse, and has never had a problem finding work.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Really?? FYI: English is one of the (two) official languages of the Philippines.

Ethnologue report for Philippines

I've never met a Filipino who doesn't speak perfect English, and there are TONS around here (including one in my own family). They can speak the language just fine, but sometimes prefer to speak Filipino/Tagalog amongst themselves... so this isn't a matter of them refusing to learn English, but they can't help having an accent.

While they're actually working and if those are hospital rules, then yes... but on their breaks? Are you telling me that if you worked in Germany, and had some fellow English-speaking co-workers, you'd all speak German together on breaks? Yeah right.
Every Filipino I know speaks perfect English - and the ones I know speak English in the workplace. The hallways are the workplace in a hospital.

Actually every Filipino I've ever worked with is very conscious about being polite when others are in earshot and they'll speak English just to avoid being rude. I worked with a couple that was from Colombia and Peru that would speak English in the breakroom to each other even though I'm pretty sure they spoke Spanish when alone. I've worked with Germans that always spoke English in the workplace even with one another at least if anyone else was present.

Speaking foreign languages in the presence of others is very much like whispering -- it's rude. It's meant to exclude.

It's very different when it's tourists here -- I doubt anyone cares when tourists don't speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies