Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,931 times

Advertisements

A group of Filipino nurses who claimed they were mocked for their accents and ordered to speak "English only" won a nearly $1-million settlement against a Central California hospital where bosses and co-workers were allegedly urged to eavesdrop on the immigrant workers.
The $975,000 settlement, announced Monday by lawyers from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, is believed to be the largest language discrimination settlement in the U.S. healthcare industry, according to the Asian Pacific American Legal Center.

Filipino nurses win language discrimination settlement - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 02:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
The nurses' lawsuit was "an attack" on Delano's policy requiring the use of either English or the patient's preferred language while providing patient care.

But it says:

She said nurses were banned from speaking Tagalog and other dialects in break rooms, hallways and the cafeteria.

What's the problem? They were speaking to the patient in English, and on their breaks, they spoke their own language.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The nurses' lawsuit was "an attack" on Delano's policy requiring the use of either English or the patient's preferred language while providing patient care.

But it says:

She said nurses were banned from speaking Tagalog and other dialects in break rooms, hallways and the cafeteria.

What's the problem? They were speaking to the patient in English, and on their breaks, they spoke their own language.
If they don't like English, why don't they just stay in their country? They should speak English in the workplace. They should follow workplace policies especially in the hospital hallways.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,306 times
Federal law prohibits to discriminate against people because of national origin. They were speaking their language ON bBREAKS. Good for the EEOC.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If they don't like English, why don't they just stay in their country? They should speak English in the workplace. They should follow workplace policies especially in the hospital hallways.
IT's part of Obama's secret plan to provide nurses we don't have with nurses that are cheap.
Japan just gives them a Japanese test after 3 years (might be two) and when they fail it, they send them back to the PI.

The PI. Where you make like a dollar a day working in a retail store. Prostitutes make more money than most professions.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:52 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Not workin on me...........I'm walkin out the door if they assign me a ******** *****. Cannot understand what they say and they come across as having a nasty attitude.

Really, this country can't train enough of their own nurses.......or at least bring in hotties from Sweden or Germany.

Last edited by tickyul; 09-23-2012 at 11:54 PM..

Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,232 times
After being married to a Filipina and knowing several dozen Filipinas most of whom work in the health industry, I can honestly say I will always pick a Filipina nurse to take care of me over any other nurse. You treat them with the respect their hard work and dedication deserves and they will do everything possible under the sun to make you better. If you got a filipina nurse that was rude to you it is probably due to the fact you were rude to them first. While I might not be an expert on all things Philippines, I can be considered one on how to treat a Filipina lady.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:02 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,232 times
After being married to a Filipina for over 20 years now and knowing several dozen Filipinas, most of whom work in the health industry, I can honestly say I will always pick a Filipina nurse to take care of me over any other nurse. You treat them with the respect their hard work and dedication deserves and they will do everything possible under the sun to make you better. If you got a filipina nurse that was rude to you it is probably due to the fact you were rude to them first. While I might not be an expert on all things Philippines, I can be considered one on how to treat a Filipina lady.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
This is a problem that is almost exclusively a problem with first generation immigrants from outside of the Anglosphere. First generation immigrants can almost never fully assimilate into their new country, then and now. I don't know what can we do to encourage these immigrants to assimilate when English classes for foreigners abound everywhere these days.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 09-23-2012 at 11:35 PM..

Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
This is a problem that is almost exclusively a problem with first generation immigrants from outside of the Anglosphere. First generation immigrants can almost never fully assimilate into their new country, then and now. I don't know what can we do to encourage these immigrants to assimilate when English classes for foreigners abound everywhere these days.

Better solution.........they can stay in THEIR country. Come on, we can train our own nurses....can't we.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies