Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You sir are misguided if you believe renters don't pay the tax.
it's misleading to refer to your landlord's taxes as "Yours."

sometimes these costs are passed on, sometimes not. sometimes landlords have to lower the rent and eat the tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It isnt the home owners fault that you cant afford a home of your own.
ha, so this is your justification for him getting screwed on taxes? that's rich.

this ain't rocket science. Michigan has two rates: Homestead rates and non-homestead rates. Because non-homestead rates are higher, it is the primary owners (homesteaders) in michigan who are the ones getting the "break." It is this way in a lot of states, though thankfully not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 08:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
According to our HR dept the company is paying 60%.
And no you are not paying for my healthcare. You are not paying any of my bills.
We're all paying for your company's tax deduction for your insurance.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Why should any homeowner pay more so that you can have a break? That is a local or state issue at any rate. No doubt you get to claim it as a deduction. It isnt the home owners fault that you cant afford a home of your own.

No I can't get a deduction. The tax code isn't written that way.

No homeowner should pay more so that I can have a break...and no renter or landlord should pay more so that homeowners can have a break.

The school tax rate on my rented home is 24 mills and the school tax rate on the homeowner's home is 6 mills. The unsuccessful legislative proposal would have put 14 mills on all property. Why should my home be taxed at 24 mills so that the homeowner can get a break (from 14 mills down to 6 mills)?

And one could say that it is the homeowners' fault I can't afford a home of my own, because the local homeowners (collectively) lobbied for and got a maximum occupancy restriction which says that no more than TWO unrelated persons can live in a house (or any other dwelling unit), regardless of the size or carrying capacity of the house. What affect do you think that has on the rent people pay?

So the homeowners made the cost of living higher, on top of the nonhomestead tax they voted for.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Wouldn't the only 'fair' tax be a head tax?
The government spends X and divides that amount by the population.
Note, it says fair ,not well received or popular when it has been done.
If there are 20 seats on a bus , all riders pay the same amount to take advantage of that service in an amount to cover the expenses for operating that bus.
Why should it be different for running the government?
Perhaps government spending would better reflect what expenses it should incur
(Ok OK...minors without voting power get half off)

But with school property taxes - the unfair tax I'm talking about here - not everybody is a rider but everybody has to pay, and some have to pay a rate 4x as high as others.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But with school property taxes - the unfair tax I'm talking about here - not everybody is a rider but everybody has to pay, and some have to pay a rate 4x as high as others.

Not everybody will use everything.
That's just part of being a society.
But if everybody had to pay the same, what we pay for might be a little more equitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies