Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:08 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Also tax exempt for property tax:

Museums
YM/WCA
Boy's and Girl's Club
Scout camps
Homeless or shelters for victims of abuse if owned by a 501(c)3 entity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 04:09 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
No body is ignoring all places of worship. That's just some folks trying to get sympathy by whining.

Hell, even the country club down the street from me is a not for profit, non federal tax payer.

What do you think when a place of worship operates a business that competes with other like businesses being tax exempt. The place of worship down the street from me operates a health club on their premises that anybody off the street can join. They also have a bowling alley. Anybody can come. I think the place of worship should not be able to operate a tax free business.
I think all businesses should be tax free. That would lead to 0% unemployment. Or at least anyone that wanted to work could get a job.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM

990 posts, read 939,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
It seems like here on C-D and all over the internet, many secular/nonbelievers are concerned about churches being tax exempt. Like always, Christianity and Christians are always being bashed and targeted.

Many people do not realize that all religious places of worship are tax exempt, including thousands of synagogues, mosques, hindu/sikh/buddhist temples, etc and not only churches are!

It is sad that many people have no idea how great these churches are with charities. Churches have helped feeding the homeless and giving food and things needed for the poor and low income. They are also part of our history, many of them being old, and they cannot afford paying taxes (especially in areas with high property taxes!). Why be so concerned about taxing them? Almost half of a town or city is tax exempt including parks, forest, schools, city departments, etc.
Duh.

The only people who don't know this are mentally challenged.

I believe ALL religious houses of worship should not be tax-exempt as I have to cover their share of taxes with my own. Wonder how Reverand Haggard got so rich? His tax-exemption! That alone should end this discussion, nobody should get rich as the head of a church. NOBODY.

Let's say that just $50,000,000,000 in taxes are lost due to the church exemption...where do you think that money comes from to cover that? DEBT!!! Take away the church exemption and you have a massive cut to the annual budget deficit due to the increased tax revenue.

Donate to proper 501(c)3 charities, but churches should not have that exemption. Nor should political contributions.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
As a Catholic, I do feel that it's only fair for all religious institutions to lose their tax-exempt status except for legitimate charitable contributions.
Look how much property the Catholic Church owns. Not only churches, but residences, schools, colleges etc. And they have prime real estate in places like NYC, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Chicago etc... If they had to pay property taxes there would be no Catholic Church in the United States. None.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Duh.

I believe ALL religious houses of worship should not be tax-exempt as I have to cover their share of taxes with my own. Wonder how Reverand Haggard got so rich? His tax-exemption! That alone should end this discussion, nobody should get rich as the head of a church. NOBODY.

Let's say that just $50,000,000,000 in taxes are lost due to the church exemption...where do you think that money comes from to cover that? DEBT!!! Take away the church exemption and you have a massive cut to the annual budget deficit due to the increased tax revenue.

Donate to proper 501(c)3 charities, but churches should not have that exemption. Nor should political contributions.
Reverand Haggard pays the same taxes as you do. Sales, FICA, income, etc.....

Never heard of him, but if he's a rich guy he probably pays more than you and I put together. Unless your rich????

And the budget is around $4trillion a year. 50 billion is peanuts. The best way to get the deficit under control is for the feds to stop spending more than they take in.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
This article alone got me to question if serious reforms shouldn't be made to taxing churches.

How the Mormons Make Money - Businessweek

If your church is in the business of running shopping malls and cattle ranches, I think a line has to be drawn.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:18 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
It seems like here on C-D and all over the internet, many secular/nonbelievers are concerned about churches being tax exempt. Like always, Christianity and Christians are always being bashed and targeted.

Many people do not realize that all religious places of worship are tax exempt, including thousands of synagogues, mosques, hindu/sikh/buddhist temples, etc and not only churches are!

It is sad that many people have no idea how great these churches are with charities. Churches have helped feeding the homeless and giving food and things needed for the poor and low income. They are also part of our history, many of them being old, and they cannot afford paying taxes (especially in areas with high property taxes!). Why be so concerned about taxing them? Almost half of a town or city is tax exempt including parks, forest, schools, city departments, etc.
But then there are places like The Southern Poverty Law Center which, in a published report named “Southern Poverty Law Center, Wellspring of Manufactured Hate” by James Simpson:

Quote:
has more than $238 million in assets, making it one of the wealthiest nonprofits in the country. Despite this, the organization spends nearly 20 percent of its budget on fundraising. In 2011, the group spent $6.5 million for fundraising, with $5.5 million going for salaries and administrative expenses.

According to the SPLC’s 2010 tax return, the group spent $12.5 million maintaining, publishing and promoting its hate group reports. However, when it came to fulfilling its primary mission, the group only spent $11 million.

Nothing says democrat like a left leaning communist organization like the SPLC!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
This article alone got me to question if serious reforms shouldn't be made to taxing churches.

How the Mormons Make Money - Businessweek

If your church is in the business of running shopping malls and cattle ranches, I think a line has to be drawn.
The LDS Church is not exempt from taxes on these holdings.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:00 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Duh.

you do realize that all 501(c)3's have people that work for them and many of their employees make 6 figures? So, if you believe all churches which are non profit should pay taxes, well, then there should not be any non profits.

So lets make a move to remove the MDA, American Cancer Society, the ADA, the AHA etc... since all of them have employees that run the companies and collect large salaries.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Also tax exempt for property tax:

Museums
YM/WCA
Boy's and Girl's Club
Scout camps
Homeless or shelters for victims of abuse if owned by a 501(c)3 entity
Most people are unaware of that. People against churches being tax-exempt are usually people who hate Christians and Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies