Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:20 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,731 times

Advertisements

It seems like here on C-D and all over the internet, many secular/nonbelievers are concerned about churches being tax exempt. Like always, Christianity and Christians are always being bashed and targeted.

Many people do not realize that all religious places of worship are tax exempt, including thousands of synagogues, mosques, hindu/sikh/buddhist temples, etc and not only churches are!

It is sad that many people have no idea how great these churches are with charities. Churches have helped feeding the homeless and giving food and things needed for the poor and low income. They are also part of our history, many of them being old, and they cannot afford paying taxes (especially in areas with high property taxes!). Why be so concerned about taxing them? Almost half of a town or city is tax exempt including parks, forest, schools, city departments, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 07:07 PM

465 posts, read 507,692 times
The only time most of us have a problem is when they bring politics into it which they aren't allowed to do. Yes they can tell you what stances each candidate takes on issues, and they should be able to, however they can't say vote for Romney. Most don't cross the line but some do. Don't cross that line and there isn't a problem. And it's not a line you have to cross anyway if a church thinks being gay is a sin they tell each of the stances people vote for Romney, if it's a more liberal church that believe in gay right they vote Obama but you don't tell them to. Of course most people aren't one issue voters but that's the gist of it don't tell people how to vote and there won't be any problems.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:09 PM

Also they're not suppose to start political groups but the congregation as well as the church leaders can give to them of their own money. And for that matter someone in the congregation can start groups. But like Pat Robertson starting that pro-life group he did that should have lost him his tax exempt status. That also applies to if he was pro-choice and start a group it would be political and against the tax status laws.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
The only time most of us have a problem is when they bring politics into it which they aren't allowed to do. Yes they can tell you what stances each candidate takes on issues, and they should be able to, however they can't say vote for Romney. Most don't cross the line but some do. Don't cross that line and there isn't a problem. And it's not a line you have to cross anyway if a church thinks being gay is a sin they tell each of the stances people vote for Romney, if it's a more liberal church that believe in gay right they vote Obama but you don't tell them to. Of course most people aren't one issue voters but that's the gist of it don't tell people how to vote and there won't be any problems.
What happened to the first amendment - Freedom of Speech.
Why can't congress people and politicians openly practice their faith?! Majority of people like it.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
What happened to the first amendment - Freedom of Speech.
Why can't congress people and politicians openly practice their faith?! Majority of people like it.
Because there's rules to everything for example a kkk person can't incite violence, the rules to tax ememption have been there for a long long time it's just now that Christians have become extremists, like where I live a lot of people think only Christianity should be allowed to be practiced. Plus if you don't like the rules laws were made to be changed. There's a lot of things I don't like but that doesn't mean it's legal. I'm not the best spokesperson as I have brain damage. But I do think that Christianity in particular has too strong of an influence on politics now. I think we're headed for like when segregation was first enforced (and it was mostly religious southerners like where i'm from) killed many Northerners (Freedom Fighters) it was because of they believed they had the right to justifiably(in their minds at least) kill these FF of course now we don't think so. I don't think the laws that bad. Other groups have to abide by the same law including non religious groups. So why should religious groups be different? How's that fair?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,574 times
I think many are wrongly calling all places of worship "church".
Like in "the separation between state and church".

Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I think many are wrongly calling all places of worship "church".
Like in "the separation between state and church".
I know. The church is always on the target, while people tend to ignore tax-exemption for synagogues, mosques, etc.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 AM

23,966 posts, read 15,069,127 times
No body is ignoring all places of worship. That's just some folks trying to get sympathy by whining.

Hell, even the country club down the street from me is a not for profit, non federal tax payer.

What do you think when a place of worship operates a business that competes with other like businesses being tax exempt. The place of worship down the street from me operates a health club on their premises that anybody off the street can join. They also have a bowling alley. Anybody can come. I think the place of worship should not be able to operate a tax free business.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
As a Catholic, I do feel that it's only fair for all religious institutions to lose their tax-exempt status except for legitimate charitable contributions.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
As a Catholic, I do feel that it's only fair for all religious institutions to lose their tax-exempt status except for legitimate charitable contributions.
Christians wouldn't think that way. Churches are part of the history, and thousands of them are very old and in some areas with high property taxes, many churches cannot afford paying tax. Tax free helps out a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies