Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:05 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,166,876 times

Advertisements

I think using this forum to sort through deep seated family issues is inappropropiate and unhealthy. The OP should address those issues with their family members and a therapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,988,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
I think using this forum to sort through deep seated family issues is inappropropiate and unhealthy. The OP should address those issues with their family members and a therapist.

Why is it that if someone questions family, they are assumed to have family issues? I mean, people attack gays all the time, does that mean they have gay issues? (okay, maybe they do...) Are vegetarians terrified of being eaten and have issues about cannibalism? Are pacifists all dealing regret that they weren't able to join the military?

Why can't people just have unpopular opinions without being assumed to have "issues"?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:36 PM

6,266 posts, read 5,081,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
only the weak need love outside of self love.
Since I'm sure you don't consider yourself weak, d'you use your right hand or your left hand for that?

Last edited by juneaubound; 10-01-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 03:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,227,729 times
Quote:

Why can't people just have unpopular opinions without being assumed to have "issues"?
Because sometimes the issues cause the opinions.

And I'm afraid you are exhibit 1A in support of this.

Seriously? People who love their families are weak? Lol. The strongest, most secure men I know get all misty when talking about their love for their families. Some of them even hug their mothers. In public!

Old 10-01-2012, 03:47 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,784,297 times
Quote:
Conservatives often say liberals are "anti-family". Well, I'm mostly to the left of most liberals, but I do admit, I am anti-family. Once upon a time, the family unit may have served a purpose (as did picking live out of one another's hair and burning dried dung for fuel) but now, it is simply an outdated institution.

Which brings me to the thesis statement: family, in modern times, is a crutch for the weak. Honestly, what is more pathetic than a grown man who still needs his mommy? Granted, family may be necessary for financial obligations, but one could just as easily enter some other agreement devoid of the emotion baggage that comes with family. People may say "I need the love of my family" Well, that right there is the weakness: only the weak need love outside of self love. The true ubermensch is confident within himself/herself and requires no such support. Sorry, but when I hear people crying about their family I can't help but wonder if they'll start crying about their stuffed animal next.

Children need an adult figure in their lives, but why do adults need people whom they share .001% more DNA in common with than someone in another continent? Why not go forward, headstrong, not weighed down by the parasites who brought you into this world?

And also, family is unnatural. Do birds return to the nest after they leave? Do wolves return to their mothers after they learn to hunt and find their own mates? Predators, the higher animals, all abandon their families after they are no longer useful. It is only the herd animals that stay with them. Who wants to be a grazing sheep, requiring the safety of the herd when one could be a snow leopard, alone on the prowl?

And the financial obligations! Why should I support my aging father? Yes, he supported me, but that was him being a sucker. Children never ask to be born. It is all vanity on the part of the parents. It is an investment that will never see a return. Why should anyone feel anything for the people whom went ahead and created them without asking for life?

I intent to work and retire (maybe) at a very old age. With the money I safe having never had children and never given a dime to the parasites who brought me into this world I will have a more than comfortable existence. That is the path of strength: ignoring all ties of family. No need for mommy's shoulder to cry on at age thirty, no need for daddy to pat you on the head for doing a good job at forty. Only one's self to impress and perhaps those whose accomplishments have made them worthy of esteem.

Please note: I am referring to "traditional" family here, not circles of friends or military bands etc whom are often compared to family. Those are adults lending their strengths to a greater cause by free association, not obligations we are allegedly born into. A circle of strong people growing stronger from alliance with one another is one thing...a grown man crying to his mommy because his girlfriend left him is another.
Wow

You've officially lost it, I bet all you care about it that degree on your wall huh? Your worship it don't ya? Do you kiss it before you go to bed?

Those jobs are man made and can be taken away, at the end of the day all you have is family and ice never heard someone say such nonsense in my life. Your a eight hour slave like everyone else your not special. When times get tough all you'll have is family.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Because sometimes the issues cause the opinions.

And I'm afraid you are exhibit 1A in support of this.

Seriously? People who love their families are weak? Lol. The strongest, most secure men I know get all misty when talking about their love for their families. Some of them even hug their mothers. In public!
What if a "strong man" still loved his teddy bear, and even hugged it in public?

Give me a break! Baby's need their mothers while grown men only enjoy (but don't need) lovers and victory over their enemies.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Wow

You've officially lost it, I bet all you care about it that degree on your wall huh? Your worship it don't ya? Do you kiss it before you go to bed?

Those jobs are man made and can be taken away, at the end of the day all you have is family and ice never heard someone say such nonsense in my life. Your a eight hour slave like everyone else your not special. When times get tough all you'll have is family.

First, I don't have a degree. I am self taught. Second, in hard times my family will be there as many other families are there...for the sole purpose of being parasites.

I sink or swim as an individual. No need for the herd of family.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:04 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,222,224 times
Quote:
Give me a break! Baby's need their mothers while grown men only enjoy (but don't need) lovers and victory over their enemies.
You REALLY should either go see a therapist or a psychiatrist, you have some serious emotional issues...

As a society we can thank our lucky stars you will never have children, man would they experience a cold and distant upbringing....

Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
You REALLY should either go see a therapist or a psychiatrist, you have some serious emotional issues...

As a society we can thank our lucky stars you will never have children, man would they experience a cold and distant upbringing....
First of all, I just said children may indeed need "loving" parents. Even though I most likely will never waste my time on crouch critters, aka the eighteen year STD.

Second...again, say that those you disagree with have mental health issues. I think it makes no sense to accept the failed status quo, but you don't see me calling those who like it "crazy." Do I suggest all defenders of democracy or laissez faire capitalism "see a shrink"? No, even though those ideas are pretty damn crazy to me.

And again...who wants kids? Every time I hear someone say "my children are the best thing that ever happened to me" I can't help but think "man, that must be a sad life."

Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 AM

27,190 posts, read 15,367,981 times
Quote:
Conservatives often say liberals are "anti-family". Well, I'm mostly to the left of most liberals, but I do admit, I am anti-family. Once upon a time, the family unit may have served a purpose (as did picking live out of one another's hair and burning dried dung for fuel) but now, it is simply an outdated institution.

Which brings me to the thesis statement: family, in modern times, is a crutch for the weak. Honestly, what is more pathetic than a grown man who still needs his mommy? Granted, family may be necessary for financial obligations, but one could just as easily enter some other agreement devoid of the emotion baggage that comes with family. People may say "I need the love of my family" Well, that right there is the weakness: only the weak need love outside of self love. The true ubermensch is confident within himself/herself and requires no such support. Sorry, but when I hear people crying about their family I can't help but wonder if they'll start crying about their stuffed animal next.

Children need an adult figure in their lives, but why do adults need people whom they share .001% more DNA in common with than someone in another continent? Why not go forward, headstrong, not weighed down by the parasites who brought you into this world?

And also, family is unnatural. Do birds return to the nest after they leave? Do wolves return to their mothers after they learn to hunt and find their own mates? Predators, the higher animals, all abandon their families after they are no longer useful. It is only the herd animals that stay with them. Who wants to be a grazing sheep, requiring the safety of the herd when one could be a snow leopard, alone on the prowl?

And the financial obligations! Why should I support my aging father? Yes, he supported me, but that was him being a sucker. Children never ask to be born. It is all vanity on the part of the parents. It is an investment that will never see a return. Why should anyone feel anything for the people whom went ahead and created them without asking for life?

I intent to work and retire (maybe) at a very old age. With the money I safe having never had children and never given a dime to the parasites who brought me into this world I will have a more than comfortable existence. That is the path of strength: ignoring all ties of family. No need for mommy's shoulder to cry on at age thirty, no need for daddy to pat you on the head for doing a good job at forty. Only one's self to impress and perhaps those whose accomplishments have made them worthy of esteem.

Please note: I am referring to "traditional" family here, not circles of friends or military bands etc whom are often compared to family. Those are adults lending their strengths to a greater cause by free association, not obligations we are allegedly born into. A circle of strong people growing stronger from alliance with one another is one thing...a grown man crying to his mommy because his girlfriend left him is another.

What a "weak" argument against family.

"Conservatives often say liberals are "anti-family". "

Well this certaintly doesn't argue against that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies