Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
pol·i·ti·cian (pl-tshn)
n. 1. a. One who is actively involved in politics, especially party politics.
b.One who holds or seeks a political office.

What do you think those who are voted in (these are the ones I assumed you meant) are voted in for? They either represent themselves or the party they belong to, which nominated/elected them for their personal stance on political issues. Now, if you mean representatives of the city or state, etc. once they've been voted in or hired, obviously you'd be right. But it's odd that you would even suggest that we "curtail their speech" when that's pretty much the point. They say something too much of the public feels doesn't represent the city or state (as their job has become) and they're out of there. It's not a new concept.
Politicians are our government representatives. Obama is perhaps the highest example of a representative of our government. He does not represent himself, he represents the country and yet the other day he issued an official proclamation for a day of prayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Just out of curiosity, how did Jesus instruct you Christians to worship and pray? Did he instruct you to do that in public?

Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did Jesus instruct you Christians to worship and pray? Did he instruct you to do that in public?
I'm not sure why you want to change the subject. We aren't discussing whether or not someone is doing a proper prayer. The government isn't the determinator of what is a proper prayer and what isn't.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not sure why you want to change the subject. We aren't discussing whether or not someone is doing a proper prayer. The government isn't the determinator of what is a proper prayer and what isn't.
I've steadily become tired of having people who cannot keep up informing us that something is "off topic" when it is not. The essence of this is public display of worship and prayer and the commons. Before we even jump into whether public facilities and grounds are proper places for such displays of worship and prayer, a sensible Christian would verify that making public declarations of worship and prayer are what their savior commanded them to do.

Now, I will ask again: What did Jesus instruct you Christians to do when it comes to public displays of worship and prayer?

Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I've steadily become tired of having people who cannot keep up informing us that something is "off topic" when it is not. The essence of this is public display of worship and prayer and the commons. Before we even jump into whether public facilities and grounds are proper places for such displays of worship and prayer, a sensible Christian would verify that making public declarations of worship and prayer are what their savior commanded them to do.

Now, I will ask again: What did Jesus instruct you Christians to do when it comes to public displays of worship and prayer?
I care less. I support the idea of people being able to freely express themselves, right or wrong.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I care less. I support the idea of people being able to freely express themselves, right or wrong.
What a marvelously moronic reply on at least two different counts.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Was that so hard?

And like I've said before and I'll say it again: This is not about someone being offended. At all.

As do I. But I also value equality in religious expression. I've pointed out the problem and made a suggestion, both of which you and most others haven't even bothered to discuss.

What are you blathering on about? I already told you that we had a Muslim prayer at a football game. Apparently the non Christian students enjoy the same freedom of expression that the Christian students do in this small Texas town.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
What a marvelously moronic reply on at least two different counts.
I'll take that as you not actually having an argument here.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I'll take that as you not actually having an argument here.
Let's break down the idiocy, just one time.

1. You assert that you support the right of people to say what they wish...free speech. Of course, the free speech rights of these yokels and their yokel kids are not being infringed. They are free to speak whatever they wish. Would you advance the argument that my free speech rights are infringed because, at my place of work which is public property, I am not allowed to say whatever I wish? This isn't difficult. If you can't keep up at this speed, best to just bow out of the thread right now. Let me help you out here: What you are unconsciously trying to argue is not for simply free speech rights, but for freedom of speech wherever one wishes, at least within the commons or public property.

Now, I suspect that if this were a few kids and their parents arguing that they should be allowed to use Satanic placards at the football game, you and the others would be far, far less the free speech sticklers we see in this thread. Why? Because most of you would be offended. I wouldn't like it, either, not because it would offend the majority of dumb hayseeds in Podunkville, Texas, but rather because it doesn't have a damn thing to do with school or school extracurricular activities. It is merely a way for balloonheads, insecure in their beliefs, to testify in public,precisely the opposite of what Jesus instructed you to do as Christians.

2. Yes, you "could care less." That one never gets old. That's another of those indicators that never fails.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What are you blathering on about? I already told you that we had a Muslim prayer at a football game. Apparently the non Christian students enjoy the same freedom of expression that the Christian students do in this small Texas town.
I'm "blathering on" about a hypothetical scenario in which a Satanist student wishes to include "Satan, keep us safe" in either a prayer before the game or the school banner. So far, only one on your side of the debate even acknowledged it, and they agreed it probably wouldn't happen for him/her for long. To think non-Christian students enjoy the same freedom of expression as the Christian students across the board is absurd. One Muslim prayer at one football game one time means absolutely nothing.

I'm also wondering why there's so much resistance to the idea of simply not putting the religious promotions on the school banner so as to give the idea (however inadvertently) that the words represent the school itself. Why can't they just hold their personal beliefs up from the stands? I don't get it. Freedom of speech would be protected, and the football banner would be about football. Everybody wins.

There must be something more. Another reason religious expression just has to be part of the school function itself. Any guesses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies