Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You're not going to be able to get this through your noggin, are you? Please explain how these yokels and their children, through whom they, rather cowardly, try to express themselves, are being prevented from testifying? If I am disallowed in school from using racial epithets or swearing or critiquing a particular religion, does that mean my right to do those things has been stripped of me? Of course not, that would be an asinine assertion. Almost as asinine as claiming that because these boobs are disallowed from making religious testimonies at the football game, they are now being prevented from expressing their religious beliefs. They are perfectly able to practice their religious beliefs. What they are not able to do is to express it anywhere they wish and upon anyone they wish. I'm sorry that you are unable to understand this distinction but it really is the crux of this little discussion we are having.
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; It doesn't say "except where cometclear doesn't like it".

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, do you also extend this to private institutions and businesses? If Barbara the Boob from Podunkville, Texas wishes to testify at work and the boss tells her to stop, are her rights to free exercise of religion being infringed? I'm interested in seeing how far down Silly Street you are willing to go before you bow out.
The Constitution does not apply to private institutions, it applies to the government. Perhaps your lack of understanding of what the Constitution is and what it does and doesn't do is the problem here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

... I didn't grow up Christian. I'm not a Christian. The girls in this case aren't misrepresenting the school. They are representing themselves. Just like the Christian athletes who, before the game, are kneeling in prayer. They have a right to do that. The school can't compel all the athletes to pray, the school can't lead them in prayer, but they cannot stop the football players from praying. It doesn't matter that the players are in uniform. They aren't representing the school. They are representing themselves, exercising their freedom of speech and freedom of religion. I know that it isn't the presence of religious expression that you object to, that it is the appearance that the message is endorsed by the school. But the school in reality is not endorsing the message, and the school cannot deal with every misapprehension that people in the public may have. On the flip side of the coin, you have all the people who think prayer is forbidden in school. The school doesn't have an obligation to clarify to the public that school-led prayer is forbidden, but that every student has the right to pray in school. The school cannot deal with every single person's misunderstanding of school policies. The school's priority has to be that students understand the school policies, not that the public understand them.
Thank you for a thoughtful, reasonable, and intelligent comment.

I suspect the reason that some of us non-Christians get annoyed or aggravated over things like this is because we are often targets of relentless evangelizing and proselytizing from Christians out there trying to convert us.

We mustn't make a big deal over this.

When I was in High School there was a Christian Prayer Club that met either before the school day began or after it was over (can't remember which). I was invited to attend. I politely said no.

On the other hand if religious prayers were broadcast over the school public address system, or we non-Christian students were obliged to listen to prayers or other things of a religious nation, I would have raised bloody hell!

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The school is government supported by tax dollars. The microphone, loudspeaker being used were all purchased with tax dollars.

That means they are not to be used for the promotion of religion.

I don't care if the prayer is Muslim, Jewish or Christian.
They can't hear you and they never will.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 PM

374 posts, read 509,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Does anyone have a direct response to the following?

Dan Barker, a member of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, disagreed.

“There’s a difference between free speech and government speech,” he said. “When those cheerleaders are wearing the uniform, when they’re at an official public high school event, they are not speaking for themselves -- they are representing the school, which has a diversity of viewpoints.”

“School as a form of government must be neutral and include all viewpoints and not offend any viewpoints at that school,” he added.

Obviously he did'nt graduate from Princeton because now at that university msulims have decided its against their laws to allow men and women to share the gym at the same time' this happend several years ago'.So it seperated the times for male and female to visit the gym ........for religious reasons.

And lets not forget the time allowed for muslim prayer in many schools now across the nation. It seems God is out and allah is in . We also pay in our taxes for foot bathes in public domains.

Yet islam is PC so nobody attacks it.Not even the homosexuals who always attack chrisitian beleifs.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The Constitution does not apply to private institutions, it applies to the government. Perhaps your lack of understanding of what the Constitution is and what it does and doesn't do is the problem here.
What a ridiculous statement. The "takings clause" of the 5th Amendment may clearly be applied to private institutions. The Interstate Commerce Clause may clearly be applied to private institutions. In those cases, the state may limit or take from private institutions. The state may bar private institutions from doing certain things or may even require them to provide for or implement certain procedures or expenses. Please, can we stop with this nonsense. Is this heading towards "sovereign individual" crap?

You've also repeatedly evaded my question: Are my 1st Amendment rights being violated when prohibited from saying what I wish while working at a public, taxpayer-funded, government institution?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesalad4u2 View Post
.Not even the homosexuals who always attack chrisitian beleifs.
Many homosexuals are Christian. No, I do not have the stats handy.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesalad4u2 View Post
Obviously he did'nt graduate from Princeton because now at that university msulims have decided its against their laws to allow men and women to share the gym at the same time' this happend several years ago'.So it seperated the times for male and female to visit the gym ........for religious reasons.

And lets not forget the time allowed for muslim prayer in many schools now across the nation. It seems God is out and allah is in . We also pay in our taxes for foot bathes in public domains.

Yet islam is PC so nobody attacks it.Not even the homosexuals who always attack chrisitian beleifs.
Boy, you must not live out in rural America. Islam is attacked and reviled all the time. Where I live, someone would end up hung by a bunch of two-toothed good ole boys if they tried to praise Allah in public.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Boy, you must not live out in rural America. Islam is attacked and reviled all the time. Where I live, someone would end up hung by a bunch of two-toothed good ole boys if they tried to praise Allah in public.
Seems to me that Mohammed Ali was pretty well liked all around after he got the draft dodging thing behind him.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Seems to me that Mohammed Ali was pretty well liked all around after he got the draft dodging thing behind him.
Yes, he was quite the hero in rural, white America.

Out of curiosity, what is the farthest you've ever ventured off a four-lane highway?

Now, are you going to answer my question or continue ducking it?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The school is government supported by tax dollars. The microphone, loudspeaker being used were all purchased with tax dollars.

That means they are not to be used for the promotion of religion.

I don't care if the prayer is Muslim, Jewish or Christian.
Excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
I see the team captain for the Sinking Devils is not gaining any favor for the blessing from hell.
Of course not. And since a Satanist wouldn't be permitted to get the mic and say their little prayer, why should a Christian get to? Same for the banner. Equal or no religious expression. For some reason, that doesn't strike many Christians here as a good idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies