Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 PM

30 posts, read 26,525 times

Advertisements

One of my liberal friends just sent me this. Thoughts? Rebuttals?

Needless to say, I'm skeptical of the validity of any Facebook picture.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 10:55 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post

Needless to say, I'm skeptical of the validity of any Facebook picture.
Or they will make the majority of their profits off shore to evade taxes like they're already doing...

Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,661 times
I am not too familiar with the tax code, but I am skeptical of the claim that income taxes can be redirected into capital investment at a zero percent tax liability.

However, the claim that lowering taxes on "job creators" will create jobs is just as bogus. Just take a cursory glance at the Bush administration who had the worse job growth record since WWII. Take a look at today's economic climate where taxes are still at all time lows among job creators, yet we have high unemployment.

In fact, after tax corporate profits are at their all time highest.

Any sane economist will tell you that the lack of jobs is due to a lack of demand, not because of high taxes. We have a demand problem, but people forget that demand often creates jobs, not supply.

No. 1 concern. Instead, the vast majority of small business owners believe weak demand is the primary problem for their business right now, not regulations. Just scroll down to Figure 1 on page 5.
http://asbcouncil.org/sites/default/...NAL.pdf#page=3

Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,220 times
Taxing the wealthy does not, in and of itself, create jobs. It does, however, free up funds to be used to improve the society as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Any sane economist will tell you that the lack of jobs is due to a lack of demand, not because of high taxes. We have a demand problem, but people forget that demand often creates jobs, not supply.
In any real world scenario, yes, that is true. There are caveats, though.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Taxing the wealthy does not, in and of itself, create jobs. It does, however, free up funds to be used to improve the society as a whole.
One must define wealth. To quote Stiglitz, There is nothing wrong if someone who has invented the transistor or made some other technical breakthrough that is beneficial for all receives a large income. He deserves the money. But many of those in the financial sector got rich by economic manipulation, by deceptive and anti-competitive practices, by predatory lending. They took advantage of the poor and uninformed, as they made enormous amounts of money by preying upon these groups with predatory lending. They sold them costly mortgages and were hiding details of the fees in fine print.
Inequality in the US: Interview with Economist Joseph Stiglitz - SPIEGEL ONLINE

While there is nothing wrong with creating wealth as you innovate to improve upon societal well-being, there is a problem with parasitic rent-seeking behavior which also creates wealth.

In fact, we just subsidized this parasitic wealth creation by bailing Wall St.

Quote:
In any real world scenario, yes, that is true. There are caveats, though.
Of course there are caveats, but what is your point?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Of course there are caveats, but what is your point?
That not everyone here would be aware of the subtleties if they weren't explicitly stated.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
That not everyone here would be awarf the subtleties if they weren't explicitly stated.
What subtleties? As people demand more goods and services, firms produce more goods and services. As firms produces more goods and services, what happens to unemployment?

It goes down.

There is nothing subtle about this.

This is the basic AE model, which is clearly straightforward. The subtleties lie within the multiplier effect, which I never even talked about or hinted of. But perhaps this is a conversation for another day.

Nonetheless, there are no subtleties.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
The point is that it did not work for reagan or bush so what makes mitt think that it will work now? Giving the wealthy tax breaks never guaranteed that they would provide more jobs here, maybe overseas.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
The point is that it did not work for reagan or bush so what makes mitt think that it will work now? Giving the wealthy tax breaks never guaranteed that they would provide more jobs here, maybe overseas.

Reagan went from an extremely high marginal tax rates to a low one. He was also blessed by Carter and Volcker who aggressively fought inflation by raising interests to all time highs. Therefore, the Fed had much more power in manipulating the economy when it lowered interest rates.

However, you are right. Giving the wealthy tax breaks to spur the economy is completely bogus. Only idiots and Republicans believe in this logic.

In fact, I still await (and urge) the rich and "disenfranchised" voters to start their own Galt's Gulch. After all, wouldn't they be better off in a society that doesn't leech off of them?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
Let's say we set a 50% tax rate at the 1 million mark and a 90% tax rate at the five million mark, sound fair? Now do the math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies