Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
One of my liberal friends just sent me this. Thoughts? Rebuttals?

Needless to say, I'm skeptical of the validity of any Facebook picture.
One of the most backwards conclusions I've ever seen, it ignores the obvious. People take risks and invest in their business in order to make money. By confiscating the vast majority of anything such a person earns, you have eliminated any reason for them to invest, work hard or grow their business. They quit investing, keep their businesses small and don't put in the effort. Punitive tax rates have the opposite effect of that stated, and are job killers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:

Liberal and "logic" is a contradiction in terms.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:

I just looked at your chart again and its an outright lie, see the chart on the right, and it says "nothing left to invest"

How the hell does people being allowed to keep their money equate to less money to invest but more taxes = more to invest? GOVERNMENT DOES NOT INVEST..

And if your liberal friend thinks people are sitting on their wealth now, ask them what they think happened with a 90% tax rate, and to explain why people like Carnegie, Ford etc, because worth HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS during such high tax rates if not by sitting on wealth..

Old 10-03-2012, 11:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
One of the most backwards conclusions I've ever seen, it ignores the obvious. People take risks and invest in their business in order to make money. By confiscating the vast majority of anything such a person earns, you have eliminated any reason for them to invest, work hard or grow their business. They quit investing, keep their businesses small and don't put in the effort. Punitive tax rates have the opposite effect of that stated, and are job killers.
This would be the point I was trying to make, most of the arguments being made here to justify this are assuming the person in the higher tax bracket will continue to make large amounts money but that is pointless if there is no return.

To quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Let's say we set a 50% tax rate at the 1 million mark and a 90% tax rate at the five million mark, sound fair? Now do the math.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How the hell does people being allowed to keep their money equate to less money to invest but more taxes = more to invest?
I believe the assumption is instead of taking it as profit you're going to dump it back into the business but that scenario assumes someone would continue to work harder with diminishing reward. You may build a bigger business but why would you if there is no personal incentive?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
If you think that increasing taxes on job creators encourages them to create more jobs...do you also believe that increasing taxes on cigarettes encourages smokers to smoke more?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
What subtleties? As people demand more goods and services, firms produce more goods and services. As firms produces more goods and services, what happens to unemployment?

It goes down.

There is nothing subtle about this.

This is the basic AE model, which is clearly straightforward. The subtleties lie within the multiplier effect, which I never even talked about or hinted of. But perhaps this is a conversation for another day.

Nonetheless, there are no subtleties.
There are always subtleties. Just like the Laffer curve, things change with very high taxes. But, for most real-world situations, something like that doesn't apply.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If you think that increasing taxes on job creators encourages them to create more jobs...do you also believe that increasing taxes on cigarettes encourages smokers to smoke more?
The idea is remarkably simple. High-rates on high-incomes forces those people to take lower incomes, risk losing a lage sum of their money to tax, or to reinvest the money into a business which have lower tax liabilities and loopholes.

What you have now is low tax rates where the wealthiest people just horde money. There is no incentive to invest the money in the first place, nothing to break the status quo.

For money that is paid into taxes at a high rate, that is reinvested into government programs, further shrinking the inequality gap.

And calling the wealthy "job creators" is a misnomer.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:

Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times
Liberals: "Taxing the job creators will create more jobs" ........
Lowering their taxes really helped huh???????????????????? NOT!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies