Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:46 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,854 times

Advertisements

So... homelessness, no healthcare, malnutrition, etc. are a good, just punishment for a (very possibly environmentally induced) "lack of drive and determination?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
So... homelessness, no healthcare, malnutrition, etc. are a good, just punishment for "lack of drive and determination?"
Do not put words in my mouth. You are changing your own view rather than responding to the counterpoint. The typical move the goal post technique. My post centered on causes. I said nothing about punishment.

And homelessness is a completely different thing worthy of its own thread. Stay on topic please.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
That list exemplifies what I am talking about. Crime, less motivation, etc are examples of bad culture. Bad culture means no accountability, no personal responsibility. Schools are bad because the students don't care and do not strive and their parents, if they have any, do not motivate them. Culture again. Its certainly not a lack of money.

You're not offering any solutions. Blame, blame, blame, with no practical plan.

You don't acknowledge that the fact of poverty breaks down families.

Lack of hope, for instance due to racism, breaks down families and threatens culture.

If large groups of people are continually making poor decisions, then they need to be taught to make better decisions. Schools can help, but other public resources can, too.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I implied that government cannot change culture and will only make the situation worse. Keeping the state out beyond a reasonable social security net is certainly part of the solution.

Otherwise, its obvious. Indeed, ridiculously obvious:

1) Prudent Family Planning: Do not have kids out of wedlock. Children are huge responsibilities. Do not do it. And even when married, do not have more than you can support. This is a no brainer. If you cannot afford them, do not have them.

2) Education: A strong back does not cut it anymore. Everyone will need a reasonable if not impressive level of education. This starts in Kindergarten if not before. Parents need to motive their kids, get involved with the schools and prepare and save something for ever higher levels.

Quote:
Because its broken families that cause poverty.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 AM

640 posts, read 461,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post

Lack of hope, for instance due to racism, breaks down families and threatens culture.

If large groups of people are continually making poor decisions, then they need to be taught to make better decisions. Schools can help, but other public resources can, too.
The race card is WAY overplayed........it's become an excuse rather than a cause.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I implied that government cannot change culture and will only make the situation worse.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I implied that government cannot change culture and will only make the situation worse. Keeping the state out beyond a reasonable social security net is certainly part of the solution.

Otherwise, its obvious. Indeed, ridiculously obvious:

1) Prudent Family Planning: Do not have kids out of wedlock. Children are huge responsibilities. Do not do it. And even when married, do not have more than you can support. This is a no brainer. If you cannot afford them, do not have them.

2) Education: A strong back does not cut it anymore. Everyone will need a reasonable if not impressive level of education. This starts in Kindergarten if not before. Parents need to motive their kids, get involved with the schools and prepare and save something for ever higher levels.

Because its broken families that cause poverty.

More platitudes, not solutions. No insight as the to causes of the problems. No engagement with those who come from a different background than yourself. Useless.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
More platitudes, not solutions. No insight as the to causes of the problems. Useless.
No insight? I have to explain to you how babies are made? I need to explain the devastating consequences of an adult who payed no attention in school and dropped out? I have to elaborate on the parenting skills of a 16 year old?

Be serious please.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Why, why, why?

A detailed and mature reponse, please.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
No insight? I have to explain to you how babies are made? I need to explain the devastating consequences of an adult who payed no attention in school and dropped out? I have to elaborate on the parenting skills of a 16 year old?

Be serious please.

Babies are the crux of the problem for you? Please, move along and get back to thumping your Bible. You are wasting the board's time. You have absolutely nothing practical to add to a discussion of addressing actual poverty in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies