Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 02:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times

Advertisements

My youngest does not have a phone, but we have been using an iPod Touch with great success to help him get through the day. I use the notepad app to write him a quick note that he can read in the morning about what to expect during the day; alarms help him stay on schedule in the morning and afternoon; and a fun app called EpicWin functions as his to-do list. The iPod can be a distraction; however, so we lock his access to the AppStore and have blocked several websites, including YouTube, that are problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM

228 posts, read 483,170 times
These parents will force feed their kids ritalin and adderal for their imaginary made up condition, but not even think to restrict and limit their sugar intake.

I think there MIGHT be a few cases of legitimate ADD/ADHD, but if your kid is drinking gallons of soda, sugary "juices", and eating sweet tarts and ice cream all damn day, then maybe you should try weening them off of that before you give them amphetamines.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times
Get em playing sports. Sitting around the house a kid is gonna go crazy from boredom. Our parents had it figured out they just threw us outside and told us not to come back till the street lights came on.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
ADHD is caused by poor diet.

Change the diet and the problem disappears.

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, ADHD, has a simple cause: poor nutrition and food additives
And where did you get your medical degree from?

I got MY information from multiple neuropsychologists, psychiatrists, family doctor, reading of real medical texts, and personal experience.

While young, my children had home cooked dinners almost every night decent breakfasts, no soda, (Much to their dissatisfaction), milk from a local dairy, juices that are 100% juice only.

Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, healthy snacks. It was still a problem.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:04 PM

Once again, I'm a health food nut, and the entire family exercises regularly. (We're all serious runners and swimmers.) There is no junk food in our house, and we still have a kid with ADHD. I wish it were just as easy as cleaning out the pantry, limiting electronics, and getting lots of outdoor exercise. I truly do. Life would be a whole lot simpler.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:13 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Once again, I'm a health food nut, and the entire family exercises regularly. (We're all serious runners and swimmers.) There is no junk food in our house, and we still have a kid with ADHD. I wish it were just as easy as cleaning out the pantry, limiting electronics, and getting lots of outdoor exercise. I truly do. Life would be a whole lot simpler.
Just curious? Do you or your spouse have ADHD? It has a fairly strong genetic component and many ADHD sufferers are active athletic folks. My husband has it, has always had it and his mother (now in her 70s) has it. They are very active, healthy people. My husband competes in a few triathalons yearly and eats a very good diet.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Get em playing sports. Sitting around the house a kid is gonna go crazy from boredom. Our parents had it figured out they just threw us outside and told us not to come back till the street lights came on.
Same with us, we didn't sleep until noon, we were up and gone, we didn't need video games or phones, let us find a stick and some rope and we were dangerous i used to sit in school daydreaming about fishing and exploring, I probably needed to be drugged.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:19 PM

I was very talkative and active as a child, but attention was not a problem, and I did very well in school. My husband did not have any symptoms of AD/HD as a child.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:22 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,556 times
You are using cafemom as your basis for facts? Really?
This was the worst "article" I have read regarding ADHD. The author wrote a lazy piece, disregarding real facts, and slanting this piece to judge parents whose children deal with ADhD. While I do agree that some parents tend to jump too quickly into believing their kids are dealing with ADHD, these types of articles do nothing but hurt people who genuinely suffer from it.

My oldest son suffers from ADHD, and it was painful to watch him struggle with the symptoms, while trying to live a normal life. We tried every thing before the medication without any improvement. We finally put him on medication.
Five years later at ten years old, he has blossomed into an amazing person, who is able to concentrate, is socially happy, and has self confidence. With the help of medication, behavior modification, an amazing school with special education resources, and an IEP, he has gone from failing school to scoring in the top 5% of his peers in the state.

Medication is NOT the answer. But sometimes it is a part of the answer, combined with a lot of work, help, and patience. This article does nothing to help those who do suffer ADHD, nor the parents that work so hard to help their children try to live a "normal" life. We need the opposite: people who can support and understand, instead of judge and condemn by believing slanted and uninformed write ups by people who do not know what they are talking about.

October is ADHD awareness month. Instead of finding crappy articles on a judgemental mom site, try to research from credible journalists.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:26 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It actually is very real, and if your child actually has it, you know what I mean.

I guess the best demonstration in MY eyes, was my oldest used to love to play Duck Hunt. Never got passed level 3, the first weekend my child was on the medication, she got to level 54 on duck hunt. My daughter was able to focus on the game, instead of being distracted every time the cat ran by, or a door opened. Her grades went to straight A's. BTW, she graduated from college Summa *** Laude.

Again, it's used as a catch all issue for a lot of stuff, but it is VERY real, and for those who are actually affected by it, the medication is extremely beneficial.
3...2...1...you are about to be attacked. For speaking the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies