Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:34 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
My sister was told to put her kid on this crap by the school. When she refused they threatened to take her children away via force by the DHS for denying them medical care. You have to call the school and sign off if you want your kid to take a cough drop at school but load em up on drugs while their brains are still developing not a problem.
I'm surprised. Schools are not supposed to tell people to put kids on medication - they are not doctors. Every school I worked in would not allow us to even bring up medication, it had to be brought up by the parents first for us to even talk about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 05:16 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,838,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There are kids out there that truly need medication. But it's gone overboard with prescriptions these days.
I agree, it pains me that we have to give my son these pills.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,937,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Keeps the kids zombied out at school..makes for better classroom management.

Seriously though, it's been going on for years. My son had a behavior problem in school (5th grade).
Principal was convinced he had ADD or some variation. His pediatrician thought otherwise.
It took ME asking questions about his classes to find out he only acted out in the free for all classes...music and gym where 4 classes of 5th graders were in the same room. In his structured classes he had no problem.
Shoved that in the Principal's face and he was all "Oh, we didn't see that". Once identified some actions were put in place and that was that. ADD my foot.

Now I'm in the schools in teaching positions and it's unbelievable how many kids go to the office to "take their medicine" every day..some even twice a day.
Unfortunately, the importance of individual needs and learning modalities is part of some school personnel training, but gets conveniently thrown out the window in practice. Often schools pressure children into drugging, some rather forcefully.

There are parents that have been able to home school and remove their kids from prescriptions. There are bound to be serious long term consequences from early ongoing brain altering chemicals. The way children end up being carted around they can also be in danger of overdose from miscommunication.

I don't advocate one size fits all. Prescriptions or not people have a right to choose.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:51 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
ADHD exists but is way, way overdiagnosed. A lot of parents need either to adjust their expectations (children do need to have time when they can just be loud and boisterous), or to give themselves permission to spank the child's butt when they need it.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:02 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
Pop a couple of Ritalin yourself and then you will finally know that poisoning kids with a stimulant similar to cocaine is just plain evil- You don't drug your kids.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Pop a couple of Ritalin yourself and then you will finally know that poisoning kids with a stimulant similar to cocaine is just plain evil- You don't drug your kids.
As a child (1969) in the 5th grade, I was diagnosed ADHD. Mine was so bad that in addition to medication, Daily visits with a psychiatrist, and learn how to deal with it. How to focus myself so hard on something, that I was able to drown out distractions, like someone using a pencil, a door closing, a car driving by. By the time I was diagnosed, I had been the the principal's office hundreds of timse, was paddled on a weekly basis, ran laps, picked up trash, swept classrooms, on and on. My sense of self worth was impacted, my ability to socialize was impacted.

You and I could be playing baseball, a car horn blows and I would lose my focus so badly at times, I would forget why I was standing there with a bat in my hand. Once we were playing basketball in gym, the door slammed, I turned, and by the time I turned back around, the basketball thrown to me, hit me in the head and knocked me out. Everything is a distraction.

I know firsthand how bad truly having adhd can be. You never outgrow it, it's always there, and we learn to deal with it. Even today, I can be talking to you, a door will slam, and I can lose my train of thought, and have to be reminded where we were, or what I was saying. I have to always focus on what I am doing.

I am in my 50's now, and I still have to be aware of what I am doing, and focus on it. Things are nowhere near as bad as when I was in grade school, but it's still there, and can and still affects me.

So, if you TRULY have a child with ADHD, you are doing them a DISSERVICE by not having it properly treated, either by seeking the appropriate medical attention, or by the addition of medication along with a psychologist, or psychiatrist treatment.

Last edited by Darkatt; 10-11-2012 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 07:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Duh!!!

Who could have thought it?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
These parents will force feed their kids ritalin and adderal for their imaginary made up condition, but not even think to restrict and limit their sugar intake.

I think there MIGHT be a few cases of legitimate ADD/ADHD, but if your kid is drinking gallons of soda, sugary "juices", and eating sweet tarts and ice cream all damn day, then maybe you should try weening them off of that before you give them amphetamines.
If it was raw sugar it wouldnt be as much a problem but when you say sugar you actually mean high fructose corn syrup. It is a major part of the problem. And also the problem with weight in our country.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
And where did you get your medical degree from?

I got MY information from multiple neuropsychologists, psychiatrists, family doctor, reading of real medical texts, and personal experience.

While young, my children had home cooked dinners almost every night decent breakfasts, no soda, (Much to their dissatisfaction), milk from a local dairy, juices that are 100% juice only.

Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, healthy snacks. It was still a problem.
Yawn.

My medical degree is from Medical College of Ohio.

And yours?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,937,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
As a child (1969) in the 5th grade, I was diagnosed ADHD. Mine was so bad that in addition to medication, Daily visits with a psychiatrist, and learn how to deal with it. How to focus myself so hard on something, that I was able to drown out distractions, like someone using a pencil, a door closing, a car driving by. By the time I was diagnosed, I had been the the principal's office hundreds of timse, was paddled on a weekly basis, ran laps, picked up trash, swept classrooms, on and on. My sense of self worth was impacted, my ability to socialize was impacted.

You and I could be playing baseball, a car horn blows and I would lose my focus so badly at times, I would forget why I was standing there with a bat in my hand. Once we were playing basketball in gym, the door slammed, I turned, and by the time I turned back around, the basketball thrown to me, hit me in the head and knocked me out. Everything is a distraction.

I know firsthand how bad truly having adhd can be. You never outgrow it, it's always there, and we learn to deal with it. Even today, I can be talking to you, a door will slam, and I can lose my train of thought, and have to be reminded where we were, or what I was saying. I have to always focus on what I am doing.

I am in my 50's now, and I still have to be aware of what I am doing, and focus on it. Things are nowhere near as bad as when I was in grade school, but it's still there, and can and still affects me.

So, if you TRULY have a child with ADHD, you are doing them a DISSERVICE by not having it properly treated, either by seeking the appropriate medical attention, or by the addition of medication along with a psychologist, or psychiatrist treatment.
I am curious did you find the meds helped? Doesn't really sound like it did. Did the meds effect you in other ways? I have heard people claim positive results, but other life quality issues. I have also seen those who were far better off w/o the meds. I am curious about your experience.

The issue with most meds is they don't really correct the problem they just help manage it and the trade off is the effect of long term medication on the body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies