Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 PM

341 posts, read 903,012 times

Advertisements

The Blacks and Puerto Ricans in New York would riot if their welfare was ever cut off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 PM

987 posts, read 1,387,634 times
Why just target Welfare? The government can also get rid of Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Student Loans, all of the nonsense government grants and etc I forgot to mention! It took decades to implement all of these programs above and I guess it would take decades to get rid of them all, but it is feasible to do so in the future when the overall U.S. economy has improved and the majority of people are working and America is no longer reliant on foreign oil, but I won't see it happening in my lifetime!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 PM

15,875 posts, read 21,463,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Under age 55 or 60? No severe heart disease or terminal cancer? 2 arms and 2 legs that can move? An IQ over 70? --- on welfare instead of working? -----> LAZY
Just because a person CAN work doesn't mean that they will be hired. One of my best friends is on disability and a host of other social programs due to his cerebral palsy. He is intelligent, but has some mild cognitive impacts (though it's unclear if it's due to the CP or an entire childhood shuttled from foster home to foster home to group home). Recently, I've become a sort of life coach for him and been trying to get him to find a job. People take one look at his crutches and automatically count him out. And forget about it if he needed to use his wheelchair that day.

He is intelligent enough to work, but probably not intelligent enough to start his own business. What do people in that situation do? Live on welfare - and often suffer from depression and lack of self-worth as a result!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,489,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTINsf View Post
The Blacks and Puerto Ricans in New York would riot if their welfare was ever cut off.

What if existing welfare spending with increases for inflation were given to the states as block grants?

Old 10-21-2012, 12:06 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,489,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The only result of very massive government spending on poverty is that our poverty rates are higher than ever before.

The War on Poverty has been a huge failure, it's time we admit that. Fewer people working for a living was not a good result at all.

Except that we have been importing a great deal of poverty through immigration, legal and illegal.

What would the poverty stats look like if we hadn't imported all that poverty and/or the illegals returned to their countries of origin?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:01 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
Why just target Welfare? The government can also get rid of Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Student Loans, all of the nonsense government grants and etc I forgot to mention! It took decades to implement all of these programs above and I guess it would take decades to get rid of them all, but it is feasible to do so in the future when the overall U.S. economy has improved and the majority of people are working and America is no longer reliant on foreign oil, but I won't see it happening in my lifetime!

Because welfare is for people who didn't put into that system same with medicaid. Why get rid of the others you mentioned when it just needs to be reformed/more strict rules. Student loans are supposed to be paid back just like any bank loan, Medicare should be supported because it gets paid at least partially by the people from their paychecks and the same for socoal security. Although these programs should be there for people who need them it should be for those who need them that put into them not everyone else who didn't.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:07 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Just because a person CAN work doesn't mean that they will be hired. One of my best friends is on disability and a host of other social programs due to his cerebral palsy. He is intelligent, but has some mild cognitive impacts (though it's unclear if it's due to the CP or an entire childhood shuttled from foster home to foster home to group home). Recently, I've become a sort of life coach for him and been trying to get him to find a job. People take one look at his crutches and automatically count him out. And forget about it if he needed to use his wheelchair that day.

He is intelligent enough to work, but probably not intelligent enough to start his own business. What do people in that situation do? Live on welfare - and often suffer from depression and lack of self-worth as a result!

What gets to me about this is that the Corporations are giving jobs your friend could do if they kept them here in the USA. I wouldn't be surprised to find your friend would be good at assisting customers on the phone with their credit card bills and eventually work up to being a manager. Unfortunately the jobs are going to other Countries. Why can't at least some of the customer assistance for the credit card Companies be here. All that is needed is knowledge and the capability of using the computer which can be handicap accessible.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 AM

8,055 posts, read 10,649,866 times
Where we live, if Welfare, Food Stamps and Medicaid were cut off, there would be a lot of grocery stores, convenience stores, subsidized apartments, cell phone stores, car dealerships, jewelry stores, and doctors and dentists out of business very quickly.

Those of us that are actually working for our living, and not on the "system" can barely afford such things.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
I think you'd see an increase in theft and vandalism. We're too far gone to just cut them off.
There are 83 means tested Federal welfare programs that cost over $1 trillion per year.

You have generational welfare after decades of "giving". The "helping hand" turned into "handouts".
Like an addict, you cannot just take away their programs and expect them to survive. Many cannot. They were born into the lifestyle, raised in that lifestyle and live in that lifestyle and have their kids brought up in that lifestyle.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:48 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,227,844 times
If the U.S. got rid of welfare then the job creating power of America would be unleashed and we would see tremendous growth in the economy. Next question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies