Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post

So if I lend to the criminally insane its not my fault. Got ya.

Again, that "it's not my fault" mentality. When will people grow the **** up and take responsibility for their own stupid decisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Lol if you really think inflation is 2%.

There are two types of inflation: "Headline" and "Core", the government advertises an inflation index that excludes groceries, energy, and other everyday commodities.

If you don't know the difference, I would consider doing some reading.
No, you need to do some reading the government produces many measures of inflation (many more than two dumbass) and they clearly define what each one excludes. You are a typical think they know it all asshat who is actually naive about that which they lecture others about.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:33 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
6 days!! That's like 6 more than most folks work.

Keep working folks! Millions of deadbeats are counting on you!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post

How about seniors? 47 million of them currently and soon to be 70 million? They don't work no more and they are your mothers, fathers and grandmothers, grandpa. They put in their 50 years on the treadmill and payed taxes every step of the way. Are they now your new deadbeats? We are the 47% that Romney talks about. Seems many seniors on this forum seem to forget that fact. How stupid and blind can so many be?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Unless I owned by own business...I wouldn't do it, and I won't do it.
Neither would I. No way in hell unless Saturday is at least time and a half. And even then I still might not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I know of a company that had great-paying jobs recently. There were 40 people who showed up wanting to "go to work." First thing that was told to them.. The hours are 6 days a week-10 hours per day, minimum. Sometimes, 12 to 14 hours a day and Sundays sometimes. Half-the people walked out. Second statement - "You have to take a drug test to go to work, and after that we randomly drug-test. The other half walked out. What that tells me.. 1/2 the people wanting a job are too lazy to work for it.. the other half couldn't keep it if they had it....
Find a better story. That one ain't working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Cry babies.. I work a 70 hour week, every week and get paid for 40.
That's called being a fool.
Quote:
You're right.... I AM my boss...
You're your own boss, and yet you UNDERPAY yourself? Yea...sure.
Quote:
Or we could just put those who seem to love abusing the welfare system to work, if they like it so much, I would presume they are willing to work their asses off for it?

I sure as hell am not willing to put in one extra minute of work to help fund our country's dead weight.
Sigh. The whole damn country is working its ass off. You're not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! I deserve it!

Typical.
Vacation is important to those of us with a life and interests that go beyond sitting on a sofa and watching Fox News all day.
Quote:
And let's all just call it what it is: INFLATION. Inflation is what is pushing people to work more and more hours to maintain a learned standard of living.
No....more like people living beyond their means more than inflation.

Quote:
Well, I haven't worked 15 hour days behind a computer 6 days a week.. I have though worked in a hot engine room for 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I still made time for my family, although admittedly not as much as I would have liked, but, my kids all went to college without loans or grants. My spouse at the time never drove a vehicle that was out of warranty. My home was paid for in about 6 years, and I had a nice pension put away. I guess it comes down to, what sacrifices is one willing to pay for the betterment of his (or her ) family? To some, it is acceptable to allow your family to do without for your glorious presence. For others, it is more important to give their children every possible advantage to survive in todays world. Who is smarter? None of my children are living in my basement.
Everyone on C-D has a perfect story about how grrrrrrreat they are. Yours is just the latest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I have to laugh at this thread. Here in Japan, nearly everyone works six days a week, from early in the morning until dark. And by everyone I mean everyone -- blue collar, white collar, you name it. In fact, the big cheeses are at work first in the morning and go home last at night. They lead by brutal example.

They even have a holiday here called Labor Thanksgiving Day. Unlike America's Labor Day (which is usually observed by barbecues and sales at department stores), or Thanksgiving (which honors religious fanatics for giving us the freedom to be religiously diverse ) the Japanese version is just what the name implies -- a day to be grateful that one HAS a damn job, six days a week, early to late, no car drive to work but a crowded subway or a bikeride in the rain, or whatever. Losing a war and being nuked -- twice -- tends to focus peoples' attention on the relative triviality of having to work nearly every day.

Face it: Americans have NO IDEA how easy we have it.
Yea....I know. Uphill both ways in the snow with no shoes on. Yea...I've heard that one before too.

Lots of Americans work just as hard as the Japanese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Would probably work 7 to try and not be as broke. Would also try to improve my marketable skills to earn more per hr. Just like most normal people would.
If you're working 7 days a week, how exactly do you improve your marketable skills? Riddle me that one. One has to actually find time to eat, sleep, and educate him/herself to improve those skills. Kinda tough to do if you're minding the company store for 7 days every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
It's the Republican ideal. Throw in no paid vacations, minimum wage set at a dollar and docile people living in hovels and eating gruel and you've got it perfectly.
LMAO....funny how they never just come out and say that's what they believe. Of course, they don't want that for themselves. They love their 40 hour workweeks and paid vacations just like the rest of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post

Another one. Geez. C-D is something else. Again, most working Americans work their asses off. This isn't a nation of lazy people by any stretch of the imagination.

Of course, you should know because you're busting your rump just like everybody else. Yea.

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 10-19-2012 at 11:18 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
I've pretty much averaged a 50 hour work week for the last 30 years. Most people in middle management do. A lot of non-management personnel do too.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:48 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
I'm a software developer and for me average for entire career is somewhere between 40-45 hours/week, depending on the company. Of course there might be some 60 hour weeks right before a release or a trade-show, but that is offset by plenty of skip out early on a Friday for happy hour type scenarios.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
As i said.. a hobby... the REAL work is farming the 240 acres of corn and soybeans and feeding the 100 head of feeder hogs,and milking the 20 milk cows...........with the side job of baling hay and tending the stock cows who are reletively easy............

I have to ask do you think being a homemaker, raising your children is a hobby?

Old 10-20-2012, 07:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I've pretty much averaged a 50 hour work week for the last 30 years. Most people in middle management do. A lot of non-management personnel do too.
True...I'm also in what most would consider to be "middle management." I work 40-50 as long as everything is normal....if I'm TDY, I'll do more, but not much more.

I haven't seen much of anything in any job that I've ever had that can't wait until tomorrow. People attach too much self importance to their jobs. I'm well aware that if I croak at my desk, they'll simply kick my corpse to the side and put the next mustache in my seat as if I were never there. Too bad that a lot of folks don't realize that. They think they're special.

Besides, my tombstone will not read: "he worked hard, then he died." Sorry....I've got one life, and I plan on enjoying it while doing something other than toiling at some stupid job. If one can't define his/herself beyond their occupation and money they make, then I feel sorry for 'em.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:05 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
23,000,000 Americans can't find a job. They don't have to worry about a 6 day work week.

That's a zero day work week. Thank Obama.
Perhaps cutting work hours and hiring people to fill the gap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies