Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:47 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Can someone explain to me WTH did that statement means????? What is optimal anyway and why is it being used in this context?
Optimal, basically means the best. Obama used it in response to a question that used it that way as well. People that are interested in exchanging thoughts, communicate using like terms to try to avoid misunderstanding. People that are not so interested in the exchange of information, ie those that only want to orate, would use differing terms that would tend to exclude the other person's thoughts. That is basically the opposite of communicating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 03:05 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
GOP FAIL MY A--! How bout the Democrats are responsible for the Death of 4 Americans and not since the 1970's have we had an ambassador killed.

Who sits in the W.H. and is suppose to know what the hell is going on even with security.

Give it a rest, people are being protected by this administration and media as usual. 4 DEAD americans is not a joke, and i am sure that mother has a right to her feelings of insensitivity.

Obama does not think, Obama is about saving Obama's butt.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:08 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
It wasn't optimal because it is messing up his chances of re-election. If he can continue to lie and deceive the public, perhaps there are still enough fools to put this traitor back in office.
Does he care about American lives? He record says he doesn't care at all. He fault those men were killed in Benghazi, but flying off to Vegas to be Mr Personality is far more important. When Americans get killed on his watch, it's just less people left to fight his Muslin brothers.. Just a little work place violence..
total corruption in that man's reign...
You are exactly right!!

BO is a pathetic excuse of a president. I laugh at the idiots whom support and defend him.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:14 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Is that better than being a bump in the road?

Obama responded: 'Here's what I’ll say. If four Americans get killed, it’s not optimal.'

Read more: Barack Obama on Benghazi: 'If four Americans get killed, it's not OPTIMAL': Obama's extraordinary response to security fiasco after Benghazi massacre | Mail Online

Just as callus as his "bumps in the road" comment on Sept 23:

STEVE KROFT: “Have the events that took place in the Middle East, the recent events in the Middle East given you any pause about your support for the governments that have come to power following the Arab Spring?”

PRESIDENT OBAMA: “Well, I’d said even at the time that this is going to be a rocky path. the question presumes that somehow we could have stopped this wave of change. I think it was absolutely the right thing for us to do to align ourselves with democracy, universal rights — a notion that — people have — to be able to — participate — in — their own governance. But I was pretty certain and continue to be pretty certain that there are going to be bumps in the road because — you know, in a lot of these places — the one organizing principle — has been Islam.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:18 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Optimal, basically means the best. Obama used it in response to a question that used it that way as well. People that are interested in exchanging thoughts, communicate using like terms to try to avoid misunderstanding. People that are not so interested in the exchange of information, ie those that only want to orate, would use differing terms that would tend to exclude the other person's thoughts. That is basically the opposite of communicating.
Obama is not a comedian, if a comedian is using inappropriate words to describe the deaths of our diplomats, does not excuse Obama to talk like a freaking comedian.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
No right winger that didn't stridently speak up when Obama illegally went into Libya, abetted by the GOP leadership who refused to allow a bill stopping him come up for a vote, has any credibility when it comes to whining and moaning about four American careerists who got killed meddling in the affairs of a tribal nation.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:39 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Obama is not a comedian, if a comedian is using inappropriate words to describe the deaths of our diplomats, does not excuse Obama to talk like a freaking comedian.
Obama is a well educated person, Stewart is a well educated person, the audience is well educated. The conversation was between and in front people that would understand it. Although optimal is not normally a word used in that context, I don't think it is inappropriate or used in any way demeaning to the subject. I think it was more a problem with people that do not understand how it could be an applicable use of the word.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
I think it's just a poor response but I don't blame people for making such a big deal about it after all of this binder and Big Bird nonsense.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Obama is a well educated person, Stewart is a well educated person, the audience is well educated. The conversation was between and in front people that would understand it. Although optimal is not normally a word used in that context, I don't think it is inappropriate or used in any way demeaning to the subject. I think it was more a problem with people that do not understand how it could be an applicable use of the word.
Please stop it...it was simply dumb of him to say. He made them sound as if they were parts to a car.

If Romney ever said anything like that, Democrats would add that to his list of gaffes as if he were seeing people as expendable like waste in a business.

Obama says it and excuses fly around with more air traffic than JFK airport.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
It is in line how he has treated this situation from the start. As his other comment, its a bump in the road to him and he is trying his best to stay off of it because he is only worried about his job.

If you even looked at the reports that came out today from the intel people, you would know that this WH was lying or is as incompetent as they get. Not only were there multiple please for more security, which were denied, the intel people are now fighting back saying they sent out info the day after the attack to Washington that it was a militia attack and not a part of some film nonsense.

But, as you were. Continue you're defense of everything this man does or says. If he was as intelligent as you say he is, he would not have used the word optimal there. It sounds awful to refer to the murders as "not optimal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies