Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

<Shrug> Clinton managed to get things done.

Seems to me that the Dems held the house, senate and presidency and considered it a mandate from the American people which is not an inaccurate assumption IMO.

However, history has taught us (Hillarycare?) that sometimes if you over-reach it creates rancor and that can circle back to bite you.

This is why I think that Obama will win re-election, the reps will pick up tons of seats in 2014 and Obama will give them whatever they want in his last 2 years in lopsided trades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,925 times
Hello???

Does the OP not realize that Republicans have only had control of ONE part of Congress and only that for TWO years?

Obama IGNORED the economy and jobs when he had complete control and chose instead to shove a health care bill onto the American public who opposed it.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What makes you say they hated Reagan. That's not even true
Sure it is. Just do a search here on C-d and you will find ALL kinds of hate for Reagan.

I even found one of yours, "Reagan spent US out of a recession. He printed money and spent like a drunken sailor.". sure doesn't sound like praise.

Another one, not from you, "Almost three times faster than Brain-dead Reagan"

"Well, Reagan legally passed catsup as a vegetable for our school kids when he was pres. If he'd been pres during the Great Depression, millions more would have died from malnutrition. Catsup factories would have thrived though. sounds like hate to me.

I'm sure you can find many more.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This is why they must fail in this election. The GOP has been flat out rotten for all the Obama's Presidency, and of course, while their fellow citizens were suffering through the Great Recession. Any party that throws its country under the bus in its lust for power deserves nothing but contempt. By this, Romney just shows he's another turd in that vile cesspool.
What is there about "never compromise on anything that is right or wrong!" BO and Dems have been so very wrong on all their agenda, any compromise would be a disaster to this country. It's bad enough with what BO has done "behind the backs" of Congress, most of which is unconstitutional!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Romney released his tax return and Mass. does not like anyone that is not a hard core Liberal. Republicans don't have to vote for what Obama wants if they think it will hurt the country. They were correct about Obama care and the failed stimulus and Obama should reach across the isle instead of just saying "I won"

Even Bob Woodward was stunned how Obama just refused to bend on any issues.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:35 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
What is there about "never compromise on anything that is right or wrong!" BO and Dems have been so very wrong on all their agenda, any compromise would be a disaster to this country. It's bad enough with what BO has done "behind the backs" of Congress, most of which is unconstitutional!
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/op...loit.html?_r=0

Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Hello???

Does the OP not realize that Republicans have only had control of ONE part of Congress and only that for TWO years?

Obama IGNORED the economy and jobs when he had complete control and chose instead to shove a health care bill onto the American public who opposed it.
Super Majority. Two words righties seem to always forget about.
Quote:
As anyone who was paying attention knows, the period during which Democrats controlled both houses of Congress was marked by unprecedented obstructionism in the Senate. The filibuster, formerly a tactic reserved for rare occasions, became standard operating procedure; in practice, it became impossible to pass anything without 60 votes. And Democrats had those 60 votes for only a few months. Should they have tried to push through a major new economic program during that narrow window? In retrospect, yes — but that doesn’t change the reality that for most of Mr. Obama’s time in office U.S. fiscal policy has been defined not by the president’s plans but by Republican stonewalling.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Automatic spending cuts are already kicking in. Do you know what the hell you're talking about, because it doesnt sound like it.

Here is the debt commission report..

Stop telling me it was a failure, they have a dam report that Obam IGNORED..

Thats OBAMAS fault.. NO ONE ELSE holds that responsibility.
http://www.fiscalcommission.gov/site...h12_1_2010.pdf

Quote:
Our nation is on an unsustainable fiscal path. Spending is rising and revenues are falling short, requiring the government to borrow huge sums each year to make up the difference. We face staggering deficits. In 2010, federal spending was nearly 24 percent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP), the value of all goods and services produced in the economy. Only during World War II was federal spending a larger part of the economy. Tax revenues stood at 15 percent of GDP this year, the lowest level since 1950. The gap between spending and revenue – the budget deficit – was just under nine percent of GDP. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Since the last time our budget was balanced in 2001, the federal debt has increased dramatically, rising from 33 percent of GDP to 62 percent of GDP in 2010. The escalation was driven in large part by two wars and a slew of fiscally irresponsible policies, along with a deep economic downturn. We have arrived at the moment of truth, and neither political party is without blame.
Please quit with the language, it's not helping your case. If you continue cussing, I will put you on ignore.

I have said this before: A country cannot wage 2 wars, and cut taxes, and not expect to run huge deficits.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Some how Romney always does miss the numerous sins of his own party during his rushes to blame the President for what his own party has done. Gee, I wonder why that is?
I think what is being missed is the fact that both parties have made it a practice to ignore the needs of the nation in favor of party politics and needs.
Lest we forget. I remember how positively giddy the dems were when they controled the house ,the senate and sat in the oval office. The absolute snubbing of the R's has they forced Obama care through.
The DNC commands no moral high ground. Look no further than the Senate led by Reid.
Look no further than an executive order granting VISA's for illegals after the author of said order promised that no illegal would receive a head of line pass. That illegals would have to follow the same path as people who came here legally.
The president knew that the majority of Americans are against any form of amnesty. I can think of no greater Obstructionism then to disregard the legal process for political gain.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
http://www.fiscalcommission.gov/site...h12_1_2010.pdf

Please quit with the language, it's not helping your case. If you continue cussing, I will put you on ignore.

I have said this before: A country cannot wage 2 wars, and cut taxes, and not expect to run huge deficits.
First they didnt have any success, and then I link to their report, and your response is to link to their report.

I now AGAIN ask you, what part of the debt cvommission suggestions did Obama put into his budget proposals?

Your opinion on what the country can not afford to do IS NOT the topic, its what HAPPENED..

WHAT DID OBAMA PROPOSE?

Come on prove me wrong and answer my question and validate Obama tried to follow the debt commission report..

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-22-2012 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies